Please help ID this Brigadier General

strunko

Cadet
Hi everyone,
I am completely new here. I have read the rules, but if I step out of line on something, I apologize in advance. Within the past year, I bought a lot at an auction that contained a large cabinet card of a Brigadier General, and dress epaulettes. I bought the items to keep, as I had a relative in the war and have become fascinated with this period of American History. The general is unidentified, and I am trying to figure out who he is. I believe he is of the Civil War Era, but he could also be post Civil War. I am not really sure how to tell the difference. The photo is massive, at 14" x 17." The photograph was taken by Elmer Chickering in Boston, Massachusetts. I have looked at the list of Massachusetts brigadier generals on Wikipedia. Although I cannot find photos of some of the men listed, he looks similar to Nelson H. Davis and John F. Anderson, in my opinion. In the case that he was not from Massachusetts, I am looking at all Brigadier Generals of the war as well. I have found that he also looks similar to Eli Long. I have a few questions for you all. Does he look similar to anyone that you have seen before? Also, is there a certain kind of frame that I should get for the image in order to protect it? Lastly, I was hoping to figure out what the two medals on his chest are, in order to possibly narrow down his name. To my eye, the one of the right (from my perspective), looks like a G.A.R. medal. However, I am stumped as to what the one on the left (from my perspective) is. I have researched it online, and have found other men with similar medals, but they don't say what exactly it is or what it was given for. This metal appears to have 8 points on it. Is there a better forum/discussion to post questions about medals on this site? Thank you all in advance for your help! I am including photographs below. Best - Orin

Attachments

• IMG_5595.jpg
    IMG_5595.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_5596.jpg
    IMG_5596.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5597.jpg
    IMG_5597.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5600.jpg
    IMG_5600.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5602.jpg
    IMG_5602.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 121
Hi Orin,
We have some folks who can help you.
They are not all onsite at the same time; everyone comes and goes 24/7.
All we ask is your patience. It may take a day or two to work out an ID or it may occur within an hour. Regardless, you can be assured of learning a lot more than you do now!
Sincerely,
Chellers

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. Your image is indeed a photo of a post Civil War GAR officer. He is in fact wearing a GAR badge and I will look closer at the other medal but I'm going its either a State issue or encampment badge.

Back