Pipe smokers

Acbernsen

Private
Not sure this fits into this forum, but as an avid pipe smoker, I'm wondering if there is any literature/thoughts/info on what the noble soldiers of both armies smoked when they were not fighting.

Johan's Pipe.jpg

I'll check back in on this thread. I used to be a VERY enthusiastic pipe smoker. I had to give it up. It wasn't easy. If science could convince me that pipe smoking was okay, I'd be fired up about ten minutes from now. It wouldn't take so long, but I'd have to run out and buy some nice tobacco because I don't have any at hand.

Anything that pleasurable just OUGHT to be good for us, dang it.......

“The fact is, as a rule we were all pipe makers, for we would get the root of ivy, saw it into blocks, and each fellow would have something to whittle on as the long days rolled by; and we have seen pipes thus made, with a pocket knife only, that would lay over any of the briar-roots we have seen in stores for beauty of design and excellence of finish”

Lt. Robert M. Collins, Co. B, 15th Texas Cavalry (Dismounted) Granbury’s Brigade, Cleburne’s Division, Army of Tennessee (See Collins comments in the attachment below)

Kevin Dally
Collins on smoking.png

I was looking at the photograph that includes this detail for a different reason (yes, there's a dog in the picture) and thought someone here might appreciate this soldier's distinctive pipe. (Here's a link to the photograph, titled "Washington, District of Columbia. Officers of 9th or 10th U.S. Veteran Reserve Corps," in the LOC.)

1547590300378.png

Here is one I acquired a few weeks back. This pipe belonged to CS Dr. John R Woods 48th Miss Inf.
DSCN0917.JPG
DSCN0918.JPG
DSCN0920.JPG
DSCN0923.JPG
DSCN0926.JPG
DSCN0934.JPG

Back