1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Pictures of the guns on the CSS Shenandoah

Discussion in 'Civil War History - The Naval War' started by DD629, Jul 5, 2011.

1. DD629

DD629 Cadet

I started this project originally intending to simply construct models of the USS Kearsarge and the CSS Alabama but, due to a quirk, have almost acquired two CSS Alabamas* and was attempting to figure out what to do with the other model. When I discovered how similar the Alabama was to the Shenandoah, and read about the Shenandoah’s amazing exploits, I decided to alter (aka. kitbash) my second ‘Alabama’ to create a model of the Shenandoah.

I’m in the process of assembling an order for more detailed guns and screws (propellers) for all three of these ships from a company known as Cottage Industries Models. The owner, William, is being very helpful and is putting together a discounted ‘set’ of guns for my Shenandoah model (discounted compared to the cost of buying them individually) and asked me to get him photos of the actual guns so he could match them as closely to what he had in stock.

http://www.cottage-industry-models.com/index.htm

Unfortunately, I don’t have any actual photos of the Shenandoah’s guns.

Her armerment consisted of the following;

4 × 8 in (203 mm) smoothbore cannons,
    2 × 12 pounder (5 kg) rifled Whitworth cannons
    2 × 32 pounder (15 kg) cannons

Would any of you know where I could find photos of her actual guns?

PS. I intend to RC all three of these models!!!

*One of the guys in my club recently switched from constructing static plastic models to building RC cruise missiles and is selling off his collection of unstarted plastic models. I purchased his 1:96 scale Revell model of the Kearsarge and told him I was also interested in his model of the Alabama. After he told me that he could not find his model of the Alabama, I purchased another off e-bay, after which he found his model of the Alabama and offered it to me at a very reasonable price…

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. unionblue

unionblue Brev. Brig. Gen'l Member of the Year

DD629,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for providing such an excellent website of Civil War era ironclad and submarine models!

I wish you every success in your efforts and hope that you will one day share the images of the completed work.

Sincerely,
    Unionblue

4. 5fish

5fish 1st Lieutenant

5. 5fish

5fish 1st Lieutenant

6. 5fish

5fish 1st Lieutenant

7. Old_Glory

Old_Glory First Sergeant

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)