Pics of reenactors uniforms and equiptment thread

GandyCreek,

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh these are all good too!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Many thanks!

M. E. Wolf

Who wants more Ladies Pics??!!

Checked Dress, Short Sleeves.jpgCheckered Shawl.jpgCivil War Era Ballerina.jpgFlouncy Dress Lady.jpgFringe and Blaclk Lace Shawl.jpgGood Hair Day!.jpgGreat Hair and Jewelry.jpgLong Hair.jpgLookin' Like a Big Birthday Cake.jpgMiss Chesney In Bonnet and Furs.jpgMoire Silk, Striped Dress.jpgPensive Gal With Long Curls.jpgSwiss Bodice Dress.jpg
W00t! This one is Trimmed With Bacon! :eek:Trimmed With Bacon!.jpg

Attachments

• Bonnet and Furs Lady.jpg
    Bonnet and Furs Lady.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 239
BillO, sir:

You wrote:
A woman wrapped in bacon is something I could get behind!

:hmmm:

I do believe you need to eat some decent food. And you need to find a woman to whom wears clean clothes--grease free. :laugh1:

[[Mumbles... got to be the weather or the water...rascally posts are on the rise]]

M. E. Wolf

BillO, sir:

You wrote:

:hmmm:

I do believe you need to eat some decent food. And you need to find a woman to whom wears clean clothes--grease free. :laugh1:

[[Mumbles... got to be the weather or the water...rascally posts are on the rise]]

M. E. Wolf

Bwaha! Actually that was pretty funny. :smile: Hey, who DOESN'T love bacon??!! (I really do think the trimming on that dress looks like bacon..... I've been eating low-carb for so long, everything looks like bacon to me!!)

Wilber, thank you for creating a new thread especially for Ladies Fashions! :smile:
Zylphy, you are welcome at any time to create a thread of your own. I forget how to do that, but you can and are welcome to.

Ole and Wilber, thanks! As soon as I get some more pics together, I would indeed like to create a thread about some of the clothing I've made. I want to stress that the stuff I make is not 100% period correct, but if folks are interested in creating a reasonably period correct impression on a budget, hopefully it will be of interest. :smile:

It would be most useful if you'd share techniques and where you found your patterns. A "how to" so to speak.

It would be most useful if you'd share techniques and where you found your patterns. A "how to" so to speak.

Definitely! I am totally the queen of Thrift Shop and Goodwill garment/fabric/notions cannibalizing, plus fabric remnant utilization. Really, you all would be amazed at how easy (mind I said EASY, not FAST) it is to recreate a decent look. Patience is really the thing I find I have most needed to cultivate. The rest I will be happy to provide step by step! :smile:

Definitely! I am totally the queen of Thrift Shop and Goodwill garment/fabric/notions cannibalizing, plus fabric remnant utilization. Really, you all would be amazed at how easy (mind I said EASY, not FAST) it is to recreate a decent look. Patience is really the thing I find I have most needed to cultivate. The rest I will be happy to provide step by step! :smile:
We love Goodwill and all thrift shops...as someone with
Limited (no) budget for costumes....

We love Goodwill and all thrift shops...as someone with
Limited (no) budget for costumes....

Yes, it's definitely the way to go! I know you all do that in the theater.... some of my greatest thrift shop fun times have been tagging along with theater costumer friends on costume and property scouting expeditions! :smile:

Now, the skeleton of the skirt for the Ball Dress came from a white Dotted Swiss girl's tea-length Confirmation (?) Dress from Goodwill. That is, I cut the skirt from the dress, discarding the rest, and tore out the zipper, and split the skirt so that what I ended up with was a thin waistband and six white strips, in between which I stitched the pink satin stuff so it would accomodate the big hoop crinoline. Then I added the brocade and more satin at the bottom to make it the right length. Then I re-did the waistband (set the white original waistband into a brocade "tube" made from leftover scraps, hemmed and put lacy hem binding on the inside of the waistband ribbons, and sewed the whole brocade tube thing shut so that the skirt was set into the new brocade waistband.) Et cetera.

Thrifiting and Goodwill is also first-rate for period-looking belt buckles,two of which I have scavenged, and shoes and hankies and natural straw placemats that can be shaped into small bonnets and tapestry bags that can be made over with drawstrings..... eek! Well, it's all great!! :D The main thing that to me is MOST important is to have a good idea of what looks correct in the first place so things like shoes with overly pointy toes, funky too-modern fabric patterns, etc. can be initially avoided before too much work is put into a garment. Also I watch waist heights in particular.... it seems that the waistline of the period was set rather high. I kind of messed up the first bodice I did last year by making the waist too low!

The books "The Way They Were" have got a lot of good images of clothing.

Hannah, thanks for the tip! Yeah, that's apparently the "Go-To" book for Lady Reenactors! :smile: They had a copy at the Silent Auction at the Ball Jeff and I went to this past weekend... I didn't get it that night but now it's definitely going on my list for Amazon.

Back