Pickets warming before a fire

civilwarincolor

2nd Lieutenant
Many thanks to @dlavin for this image.

tumblr_n0k79bYUqi1rd3evlo1_1280.jpg

He had asked me if it was possible to colorize this image and I said that due to the size that it was much too small for me to really work on. I did manage to find the original for the image at the National Archives here, but, it was still that size. I suggested to contact the National Archives and see if they could do a high res scan, or post a larger version.

Within an hour he had not only contacted them, but gotten them to give him a link to the large version. Here is my take on the image:

527550_w.jpg

Attachments

• tumblr_n0k79bYUqi1rd3evlo1_1280.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 527550_w.jpg
    527550_w.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 22
Interestingly (at least to me) my wife and I were watching "The Roosevelt's" part one on Netflix last night and they used this image during some of their discussions of Teddy Roosevelt's father and him purchasing a substitute during the CW.

Amazing! The original was in such horrible condition, kudos to you for cleaning it up and colorizing it beautifully! :thumbsup:

The original was in 3D, so it has very similar parts on both sides which helped to fill in the missing pieces. I actually restored both to reproduce the 3D version that would have been shown with the original. I have not posted that version yet, but it looks good in 3D. :smug:

The original was in 3D, so it has very similar parts on both sides which helped to fill in the missing pieces. I actually restored both to reproduce the 3D version that would have been shown with the original. I have not posted that version yet, but it looks good in 3D. :smug:

I look forward to seeing the 3D version as that must be pretty awesome. Must bring real depth to the scene.

I was very surprised (to say the least) at how quickly the Archives got back to me with a response and a link to the larger picture. I figured I would hear back a week later, but it was just a few hours, if that.

Not even that. I looked at the PM when I gave you the link to the NARA page and you said that you would reach out to them and it was 9:50 AM PT and you posted back with the larger link at 11:09 AM PT, so not more than 1 hour 19 minutes (and there was a few other PM's that may have slowed you contacting NARA. That's an amazing turnaround!

I look forward to seeing the 3D version as that must be pretty awesome. Must bring real depth to the scene.

Sure, let me go ahead and post that. What would you prefer? There are three ways to view a 3D image:

1. Side by side (this is a traditional stereo card view and has the left/right image on the proper side). To view this on a monitor in 3D requires the ability to "free view" or to have special viewers to view the image.
2. Cross view. The left and right images are on the opposite side. This allows the viewer to see the image in 3D by crossing their eyes. If you can do this it is very easy to see all CW images that show the original negatives with 2 images on them as they naturally start out as a cross view.
3. Anaglyph. This is the one that requires red/cyan glasses. It is easy to see in 3D, but can affect the colors since certain colors are canceled out in the process.

BTW, there is not a lot of "amazing" detail in this image (as there is in some others), but it is certainly enjoyable seeing the image in 3D as originally intended.

Sure, let me go ahead and post that. What would you prefer? There are three ways to view a 3D image:

1. Side by side (this is a traditional stereo card view and has the left/right image on the proper side). To view this on a monitor in 3D requires the ability to "free view" or to have special viewers to view the image.
2. Cross view. The left and right images are on the opposite side. This allows the viewer to see the image in 3D by crossing their eyes. If you can do this it is very easy to see all CW images that show the original negatives with 2 images on them as they naturally start out as a cross view.
3. Anaglyph. This is the one that requires red/cyan glasses. It is easy to see in 3D, but can affect the colors since certain colors are canceled out in the process.

BTW, there is not a lot of "amazing" detail in this image (as there is in some others), but it is certainly enjoyable seeing the image in 3D as originally intended.

Goodness so many choices! I'd have to go with option one since its the traditional view. Though I'm up for crossing my eyes if need be :geek:

Goodness so many choices! I'd have to go with option one since its the traditional view. Though I'm up for crossing my eyes if need be :geek:

Personally I find the cross eye view much easier to handle as I have never been able to "free view" without a special viewer. Even those people that I know that can "free view" can only do it for short periods of time and have to take a break and re-focus between images, while with a cross view image I can sit and flip though dozens of images with no strain or special viewer needed. That said, I have three viewers sitting within arms reach at my desk at all times for side by side images.

Here is the reproduction color version of the stereo card:

p1798518739-6.jpg

Attachments

• p1798518739-6.jpg
    p1798518739-6.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 24
Many thanks to @dlavin for this image.

He had asked me if it was possible to colorize this image and I said that due to the size that it was much too small for me to really work on. I did manage to find the original for the image at the National Archives here, but, it was still that size. I suggested to contact the National Archives and see if they could do a high res scan, or post a larger version.

Within an hour he had not only contacted them, but gotten them to give him a link to the large version. Here is my take on the image:

527550_w.jpg
As usual . . . great job !

On a humorous note, I was expecting to see a new colorized version of General George Pickett.

I misread the thread title as: "Pickett's Warning Before the Fire ". :D

Attachments

• tumblr_n0k79bYUqi1rd3evlo1_1280.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 527550_w.jpg
    527550_w.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 21
As usual . . . great job !

On a humorous note, I was expecting to see a new colorized version of General George Pickett.

I misread the thread title as: "Pickett's Warning Before the Fire ". :D

My wife said something similar when I asked her how she liked it. I asked her what she thought of the pickets image and she said she did not remember seeing it, and had only seen the one of the guys by the fire. :giggle:

Personally I find the cross eye view much easier to handle as I have never been able to "free view" without a special viewer. Even those people that I know that can "free view" can only do it for short periods of time and have to take a break and re-focus between images, while with a cross view image I can sit and flip though dozens of images with no strain or special viewer needed. That said, I have three viewers sitting within arms reach at my desk at all times for side by side images.

Here is the reproduction color version of the stereo card:

p1798518739-6.jpg

Very cool! Thanks :happy: I'm the person who can only look at a cross view image briefly without getting dizzy :confused:

Attachments

• p1798518739-6.jpg
    p1798518739-6.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 24
Back