Photos from Pickett's Charge July 3, 2013

Yes, thank you! I never heard about the Marine reenactment either- will go Google instead of pulling someone's sleeve here. Sounds awfully interesting, whoa! I'm guessing an awful lot of Marines emerged from that with a better understanding of their own ancestors, of course in the 20's a few may have been alive. Isn't that kind of incredible to think about?

One really gets a sense of the mass of humanity coming across the field, although 150 years ago it was much greater. The imagination reels at the thought of shot, shell and canister being poured into that same humanity! It must have been an awesome (in the original sense of the word) sight.

Actually there might have been more people coming across yesterday than in the original charge.

Thanks for posting! I wanted to go this week, but hate large crowds...just have to live vicariously through others this time.
Am going in August though.

WOW! I'm glad I took that walk on Saturday the 29th a photo looking back from the angle
n948ZMp.jpg

Wonderful photos, all! Would have liked to been there but I'm in California. :cry: My great-uncle, however, was there 150 years ago with the South Carolinians. He was shot in the stomach somewhere midway in the charge, and went back to the rear. For some time we thought he just kept going until he hit California, where he opened up a grocery, but he did come back and stayed with Lee to the bitter end. :thumbsup: He was a Catawba, Captain Billy George.
Oh, I doubt he fled all that far. All the more reason you should join us in September. Your ancestry calls to you. :smile: just saying :smile:

Last edited:
Back