Petition to remove Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial

Am I down with that? I'm double down with it: not just Confederate monuments: all Civil War monuments.

I'm so excited about the next idea, I'm hyper ventilating....OK...Ok..... I'm alright now.

There must be tens of thousands of bronze and stone infantry men, regiments of bronze horsemen, giant artillery parks of cannon scattered all over the US.

Are you ready for this? Or are you already thinking it?!

A diorama of a major Civil War battle, with the statues arranged in the formations the two sides were in on the day of battle. Scale: One to One. Each cannon representing: one cannon. Imagine the best visitor center diorama of all time; life size.

It would stretch for miles! Little paths for tourists to walk with interpretative panels, or audio tours. Segway and bike trails. Guides on little tractors towing those wheeled people carriers, like at Disney. Maintenance: minimal. After all the statues or designed to be outside!

Where? Vegas comes to mind, but considering the absolute economic tourism boom this will be, I vote for North Dakota. It would finally give people a reason to go there. But really, anywhere would do. Real question: which battle. Get the kids involved, essay contests etc. on which is the best battle to represent.

Nope. Virtual world. Little trams carry folks though with funny 3D glasses or helmets on. Computer simulations of the battles are displayed on the helmet faceplate or 3D glasses with huge speakers blaring the noise of battle and little puffs of smoke and scents spritz from the front of the tram. Just like you are there.

For a slight premium you can have the South win. The SCV will have special simulations available for sale. Reenactors will never have to leave home or buy expensive equipment outside of the funny 3D glasses or helmets.

The real cannon, monuments and statues will be sold to wealthy collectors both foreign and domestic or paved over for shopping centers, sales kiosks, upscale homes or other highest and best use commercial use.

Nope. Virtual world. Little trams carry folks though with funny 3D glasses or helmets on. Computer simulations of the battles are displayed on the helmet faceplate or 3D glasses with huge speakers blaring the noise of battle and little puffs of smoke and scents spritz from the front of the tram. Just like you are there.

For a slight premium you can have the South win. The SCV will have special simulations available for sale. Reenactors will never have to leave home or buy expensive equipment outside of the funny 3D glasses or helmets.

The real cannon, monuments and statues will be sold to wealthy collectors both foreign and domestic or paved over for shopping centers, sales kiosks, upscale homes or other highest and best use commercial use.

You took something beautiful. And ruined it. I'm talking about repurposing actual historical artifacts, delivering a unique experience, promoting economic growth, and educating the public. I believe your concept was floated by the Disney people a few years ago, and Mickey had his butt handed to him.

Virtual world. Little trams carry folks though with funny 3D glasses or helmets on. Computer simulations of the battles are displayed on the helmet faceplate or 3D glasses with huge speakers blaring the noise of battle and little puffs of smoke and scents spritz from the front of the tram. Just like you are there.

Sounds like recent movie technology, where REAL reenactors in Glory and Gettysburg have been replaced by CG like in Gods and Generals!

You took something beautiful. And ruined it. I'm talking about repurposing actual historical artifacts, delivering a unique experience, promoting economic growth, and educating the public. I believe your concept was floated by the Disney people a few years ago, and Mickey had his butt handed to him.

Sorry 'bout that. Universal Studios just emailed to tell me that I was in copyright infringement on that post and I cannot discuss it anymore.

"Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy forefathers have set."
--- Proverbs 22:28

That refers to boundary markers. Removing landmarks is in effect stealing land and committing fraud.

Deuteronomy 7:5
This is what you are to do to them: Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones, cut down their Asherah poles and burn their idols in the fire.

Numbers 33:52
drive out all the inhabitants of the land before you. Destroy all their carved images and their cast idols, and demolish all their high places.
Micah 1:7 All her idols will be broken to pieces; all her temple gifts will be burned with fire; I will destroy all her images.

That refers to boundary markers. Removing landmarks is in effect stealing land and committing fraud.

This is what you are to do to them: Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones, cut down their Asherah poles and burn their idols in the fire.

drive out all the inhabitants of the land before you. Destroy all their carved images and their cast idols, and demolish all their high places.
Micah 1:7 All her idols will be broken to pieces; all her temple gifts will be burned with fire; I will destroy all her images.
Don't forget the best part, their virgins!

And then there is the Exodus 20:4-6.

I live in metro-Atlanta...this has been all over the news lately and makes my blood boil to be quite honest. Slowly and quietly roads named "Jefferson Davis" and "Robert E. Lee" have been changed. Afterall, our public school systems demonize these men enough as it is. I fear that in the future, Stone Mountain will suffer a similar fate, but not in my lifetime. There are, however, many blacks that are against having it removed due to it being a historical icon and part of all of our history...which is good to hear. I haven't heard many people comment about the art aspect of it, as it is an AMAZING work of art, we're not talking about some 100 year old watercolor by a Dutchmen.

I live in metro-Atlanta...this has been all over the news lately and makes my blood boil to be quite honest. Slowly and quietly roads named "Jefferson Davis" and "Robert E. Lee" have been changed. Afterall, our public school systems demonize these men enough as it is. I fear that in the future, Stone Mountain will suffer a similar fate, but not in my lifetime. There are, however, many blacks that are against having it removed due to it being a historical icon and part of all of our history...which is good to hear. I haven't heard many people comment about the art aspect of it, as it is an AMAZING work of art, we're not talking about some 100 year old watercolor by a Dutchmen.

Were those roads named something else before renaming to Jefferson/Lee. If so, are they not just being returned to their traditional ames possibility honoring a Southern heritage that predated the Civil War.

Were those roads named something else before renaming to Jefferson/Lee. If so, are they not just being returned to their traditional ames possibility honoring a Southern heritage that predated the Civil War.

Those were the majority of the roads' first and only names, but I think it's better if we not stray from the topic at hand.

The carvings on Stone Mountain are a beautiful example of bas relief sculpture. The north face of the Mountain was deeded to the United Daughters of the Confederacy in 1916. They hired Gutzon Borgum to do the carvings. He later worked on Mt. Rushmore. He stopped work on Stone Mt. in 1925. American scultor, Augustus Lukeman worked on it until 1928. Then worked stopped for 30 years. The carvings were finally completed by Roy Faulkner in 1972.

It , the sculpture,is a part of history and should be preserved.

Also the mountain itself is an unique piece of rock. If you are interested read its geology and history through all the ages.

Back