Period Pants??

Poor Private

First Sergeant
Recently I was given a pair of pants to play in. But I am not sure how period they are. The person who gave them to me told me they were period correct BUT I have my doubts. So I am coming here with them to solve the issue. What they are is button front, suspender supported, tin buttons cotton pants, in light blue but here is the head scratcher of them. They have the inner thighs, and seat in leather. Like for horse riding. One of the units I belong to, a couple of guys wear this style( 2nd Kentucky Morgans' Artillery). I see them in different colors even a pair that looks like mattress ticking with the lather inner thighs.

One thing I am seeing in doing some "quick research" is that mounted units would of had an extra layer of wool lining the seat and back of legs, but I have not run across any leather yet.

MY Bad!
I just dug them out of the closet(couldn't before the wife was still sleeping). They are not light blue they are grey cotton, with the seat, inner thighs in black twill.

Do they have a buckle or other adjuster in back? Is the waistband wider in back, tapering narrower in front, and no more than maybe 1" or 1 1/2" in front? When you lay them flat, looking at them from the side, does the back half of the waistband angle up significantly higher than a typical pair of modern pants? Those would be some other things to look for.

Back