History Pendennis Turtle Soup (the Soup That Made Kentucky Famous)

nitrofd

Retired User
This recipe is from the "Southern Cookbook of Fine Old Recipes.
2 pounds Veal bones
2 carrots
2 tbs butter
3 tbs flour
2 qts beef stock or water
1 sm can of tomatoes
1 sm can tomatoes puree
Salt and pepper
Whole cloves
1 1/2 cups Sherry
2 cups fresh boiled turtle meat
1 lemon
2 hard cooked eggs
Roast the bones and vegetables with butter until brown.add flour and brown again.add water or beef stock,tomatoes, and tomatoes puree,salt,black pepper to taste,and add a few whole cloves.boil for two hours.add sherry wine.Strain the soup through cheesecloth.then add boiled fresh turtle meat cut in small squares,lemon and eggs also cut in squares,boil up and quickly serve.
It should be noted that at the bottom of each page they would but a jingle,song,or sniper of the time.be it known that most of them are not Politically Correct and most were quite racist.I did find one at the bottom of this recipe that I can post.
Kentucky oh Kentucky
How I love your classic shades
Where flit the fairy figures
Of the star-eyed Southern Maids
Where the butterflies are joy in
Mid the blossoms newly bearing
Where the corn is full of Kernels
and the Colonels are Full of Corn.

The Pendennis Club of Louisville, Ky. was founded in 1881 as the city's premier private gentlemen's club. The famous first chef was Henry Bain who was famous for Henry Bain's Famous Sauce. This sauce was only available to members and guests. It is now sold in specialty stores.

The Pendennis Club is also famous for its cocktail, the Old-Fashioned. The club claims it was invented at the club.

We have a breeding pair of gopher turtles on our property that we leave lettuce for but what they really like is pieces of cucumber.our neighbor wanted to catch them to eat but we won'the allow it because we like them as do our dogs but they are on the endangered species list.we have been watching this pair for about 15-16 years and they have had a lot of little ones.they can live up 60 years so they will be around here longer then I will.

We have a breeding pair of gopher turtles on our property that we leave lettuce for but what they really like is pieces of cucumber.our neighbor wanted to catch them to eat but we won'the allow it because we like them as do our dogs but they are on the endangered species list.we have been watching this pair for about 15-16 years and they have had a lot of little ones.they can live up 60 years so they will be around here longer then I will.

what happens to the little ones? apparently you're not making soup of them. are they trying to migrate past your evil neighbour?

what happens to the little ones? apparently you're not making soup of them. are they trying to migrate past your evil neighbour?
We live in a rural area so there is a lot of property for the little ones to go to.our dogs like to pick up the little ones and they bring they to me as a prize,they know i'll give them a treat when they do.

Turtle has been a staple food item of native Americans for thousand of years.the Calusa Indians of southwest Florida showed signs of them from 14,000 years ago.the Indians lived on turtle,shellfish and small fish.

I'm used to sticking to the basic meats for my food, I guess.

Though snails, turtles and frogs are all something people have been eating for a very long time given their sheer numbers. As my dad says about wild game and other critters - if you don't know what it is you'd be none the wiser if it's prepared well :wink:

Haven't run into snails on the Chinese menu of late and I do go to this place in Flushing, Queens that has another location in Chinatown...hmm...maybe they have a separate menu for the more adventurous souls!

Haven't run into snails on the Chinese menu of late and I do go to this place in Flushing, Queens that has another location in Chinatown...hmm...maybe they have a separate menu for the more adventurous souls!

Besides snails, ducks feet is another tasty Chinese treat.

Oh my! :sick:

I know my dad ate grasshoppers as it was part of his Special Forces survival training in the Army. Apparently you have to remove the legs first! He said it tasted kind of like grass :eek:

There are many tasty things to eat in the World. Maggots are very high in protein. Everything from maggot and worm salad to maggott sliders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back