1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Pedersoli 2 band Enfield

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by glenhunter, Dec 26, 2013.

1. glenhunter

glenhunter Private

Was wondering if anyone here uses a 2 band instead of the 3 bander ? Can anyone tell me of its make-up as compared to the Pedersoli 3 band Enfield? I know the quality of the Pedersoli 3 band 1853 musket is better than most repros and I was wondering about the 2 band as well. Thank to all.

gh

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Southron

Southron Sergeant

I saw a Pedersoli Naval Rifle (the two band Enfield) at the N-SSA Nationals. From what I could tell, it is a high quality arm. For shooting purposes, all things being equal, the two band Pedersoli should be a bit more accurate than the regular 3 band Enfield. For one thing, the two band Enfield has a "heavy barrel" which is better for accuracy. The Naval Rifle rear sight is set further down the barrel than the rear sight of the three bander. IF you have older eyes, the Naval Rifle sights are easier to focus through.

The BEST way to buy any new firearm is to examine several of the same model on display. There IS a difference in the quality of supposedly identical, factory made firearms. Look closely at the "wood to metal" fit, take a good look at the bore using a bore light and the lock. The idea is to find the "best" one and purchase that one.

4. Bill in Oregon

Bill in Oregon Private

Glen, the 3-band Pedersoli uses three-groove 1:78 twist rifling, as did the original, although not progressive depth. The 2-Band uses the five-groove 1:48 of that original, again, not progressive depth. The 2-band is the better choice for target work out to 600 yards, but was much less common than the 3-band in the recent unpleasantness.

5. Tin cup

Tin cup 2nd Lieutenant

What is your interest for this firearm? Are you wanting it for live-fire only, reenacting...both?

Kevin Dally

6. Southron

Southron Sergeant

Lets put it this way...IF you plan on re-enacting, then get a 3 band Pedersoli Enfield as most re-enactor groups view two banders with suspicion and often discourage their use.

IF you plan on Skirmishing and shooting "Live Fire" in competition, then the Pedersoli Naval Rifle (their two band Enfield) is the way to go.

7. glenhunter

glenhunter Private

My interests are for live firing and competing in N-SSA events. I had also been looking at the Pedersoli 1861 Springfield. However, I was told by a few members, the reloading times for a two bander is a bit quicker given the shorter barrel, makes sense nd was also told of increased accuracy as well with the two bander. I am still intrigued by the Springfield and have read much of Mr.Barry's advice both on site and personally through PMs. Please let me know your thoughts regarding the Springfield as well. Thanks to all who took he time to answer here.
    regards
    gh

8. Southron

Southron Sergeant

First of all, not everyone is comfortable shooting an Enfield because the stock is much more "straighter" than a Springfield stock. The "cure" for that is to mount a tall front sight in a dovetailed base and "sight in" the Enfield for 50 and 100 yards with the rear sight ladder on the second and third "steps" of the rear sight walls.

Shooting a 3 bander in N-SSA is "Voluntarily Handicapping" yourself and your team in the team matches because they are slower to reload, and all things being equal, less accurate than a two bander.

9. glenhunter

glenhunter Private

Is it then, your observation, that most N-SSA competitors use 2 banders? I believe that I have observed several skirmishers using three band muskets during competitions. Thank you.

gh

10. Southron

Southron Sergeant

There are still a lot of "three banders" being shot in the N-SSA. If you go back into history the original Enfield Naval Rifles and P-60 Army Short Rifles (both Enfields used the same barrel) so outclassed the regular P-53 Enfield 3 Banders that anyone shooting a Naval Rifle or P-60 Army Short Rifle in a British NRA Match automatically had 10% deducted from his final score
    because the Naval Rifle and P-60 were acknowledged to be so much more accurate than the regular 3 Band Enfield.

Another option would be a Harpers Ferry, Brass Mounted 1855 Rifle or a Pedersoli Mississippi Rifle fitted with a long range rear sight. Like the 2 Band Enfield it has a short, "Heavy" barrel that is conductive to good accuracy and is fast to reload. A lot of people like the "drop" in the stock of the Mississippi.

So, there are a lot of good options out there-just pick the one you like best.

11. glenhunter

glenhunter Private

May I ask as to where one may purchase either of these muskets or at the very least, give them a look see?
    thank you

gh

12. johan_steele

johan_steele Lt. Colonel Retired Moderator

Lodgewood has a couple M1841's, 2 band Enfields and an original M1863 type 2 cut down to 2 band length.

http://www.lodgewood.com/Muskets-and-Other-Rifles_c_123.html

Let us know what you decide on.

13. Craig L Barry

Craig L Barry First Sergeant

The P58 Naval Rifle (two band) was much less common than the P53...or the P56 for that matter, but by all accounts the faster rate of twist and heavier barrel on the reproduction make it easier to hit what you are aiming at. Now that Parker Hale Enfields are rare, this would be a good choice for live fire. Less so for (re)enacting where the ban on most two-banders would limit its utility.

I don't know, for me...I keep landing on the Pedersoli P53 Enfield as the best "all around" reproduction Civil War rifle-musket out there. I am taking mine out to the 151st anniversary programs out at Stones River this weekend. It is a pleasure to use.

Tin cup likes this.
  14. glenhunter

glenhunter Private

Mr. Barry;
    I know you are correct in this matter and all others we've discussed. I feel however the areas of purchase of this musket is limited. I had one in my cart at Cabela's the day before Christmas and they said backorderable 0-1 week which was just fine. What should have happened was I should have placed the order but with all that was happening on Christmas day prevented this from occuring. When I revisited my cart it said out of stock. I contacted Cabela's and they said at the earliest I could see any restocking of this musket is 6-8 weeks at the earliest. So much for waiting. This also happened to a percussion revolver I had on my cart which after Christmas it jumped $50. Do you know of any other place I may be able to purchase the Pedersoli P53 Emfield musket? Thank you as always.
    regards
    gh

15. Southron

Southron Sergeant

16. Craig L Barry

Craig L Barry First Sergeant

Dixie is quite a bit more expensive though. I'd wait. Cabela's has the best price you are going to find.

17. Southron

Southron Sergeant

Usually Dixie is higher than Cabellas, but right now DGW has the Pedersoli Naval Rifle on sale for $799.95 and the Pedersoli P-53 Enfield for sale at $875.00.

18. glenhunter

glenhunter Private

Southron, thank you and I already know of that information thanks to your earlier post. I purchased the Enfield 3 bander 1853 today. I was very pleased to see the reduced price from $1050 to $875. Quite a drop. I missed out on the 1853 Enfield from Cabela's over the holiday and was very glad indeed to get this one from Dixie's. Thanks again and thank you as well Mr. Barry for making my choice somewhat easier. Oh, by the way Mr. Barry, your book came today and I will begin reading this Sunday. Thank you both.
    regards
    Steve
    aka glenhunter

johan_steele likes this.
  19. Southron

Southron Sergeant

I am sure you will be very happy with your new Enfield!

20. Bill in Oregon

Bill in Oregon Private

And I'm sure you'll be very happy with Craig's book.

21. Richard Schimenti

Richard Schimenti Cadet

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)