Pea Ridge/Prairie Grove

Jantzen

Private
Pards,

It looks like I am going to be in the Tulsa, OK area for several days next week with some downtime. I see that the Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove parks are about two hours away. Has anyone been there? Are they worth going to see? Any particular tips on the best way to tour them?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

J.

My son and I toured the Wilson's Creek National Battlefield, the Pea Ridge National Military Park and the Prairie Grove Battlefield in one day in 2011. The two NPS venues are well preserved! The Prairie Grove Battlefield is a well run state park. All three battlefields have wondeful visitor centers and tour stop maps that will guide and explain the battles.

Bill

My son and I toured the Wilson's Creek National Battlefield, the Pea Ridge National Military Park and the Prairie Grove Battlefield in one day in 2011. The two NPS venues are well preserved! The Prairie Grove Battlefield is a well run state park. All three battlefields have wondeful visitor centers and tour stop maps that will guide and explain the battles.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. You guys must have been moving! I'll report back after I return!

Pards,

It looks like I am going to be in the Tulsa, OK area for several days next week with some downtime. I see that the Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove parks are about two hours away. Has anyone been there? Are they worth going to see? Any particular tips on the best way to tour them?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

J.

Jantzen, our member James N. has a thread with some great photos of Pea Ridge (and probably Prairie Grove!)...you might try the search function and see if you can find that. You'll see why that's a great place to go. He may have some tips for going, too.

I'm going to move this to the Travel forum...it's a good place to look for recommendations from others. Don't forget the Civil War Trust site (civilwar.org) for travel recommendations, either.

THX
Jantzen, our member James N. has a thread with some great photos of Pea Ridge (and probably Prairie Grove!)...you might try the search function and see if you can find that. You'll see why that's a great place to go. He may have some tips for going, too.

I'm going to move this to the Travel forum...it's a good place to look for recommendations from others. Don't forget the Civil War Trust site (civilwar.org) for travel recommendations, either.
THX for the suggestion and sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

James N. posts some great stuff.:thumbsup:

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/the...rn-arkansas-march-7-8-1862.96408/#post-888474

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/return-to-pea-ridge.99660/#post-873976

Thanks, Bill. You guys must have been moving! I'll report back after I return!

My sister lives in Boonville, Missouri. We started off very early in the morning and traveled to Wilson's Creek near Republic, Missouri. Then we traveled to Pea Ridge and ended the day at Prairie Grove.

Wilson's Creek National Battlefield:

August 30-Sep 1 is the clothes line fair at Prairie Grove. Just thought I'd let you know..lots of fun arts and crafts, square dancing etc...if you're into that sort of thing. However, if you wanted to miss the crowd thought I'd give you a heads up :smile:

James N. posts some great stuff.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the vote of confidence from you and Nathanb1 and for doing my job of providing links to these threads! I've been out-of-pocket the past two weeks but hope to soon add to the titles with new ones on Gettysburg, Antietam, South Mountain, Harpers Ferry, Monocacy, and the Washington defenses.

August 30-Sep 1 is the clothes line fair at Prairie Grove. Just thought I'd let you know..lots of fun arts and crafts, square dancing etc...if you're into that sort of thing. However, if you wanted to miss the crowd thought I'd give you a heads up :smile:
Thanks, CW - I head home on the 30th.

THANKS to all with their great suggestions on my trip. I made it to Pea Ridge and there was so much to do (combined with a bit of a late start) that I didn't make it to Prairie Grove. It was a great site, and the Visitor's Center was well done. Having now tramped into Tanyard Ravine and environs, I have an incredible respect for how Price's Missourians pushed their way up the slopes to take the Tavern, hauling 21 cannon in the process. I need to go re-read Hess and Shea's book now (although I had their battlefield guide with me). I'm sorry for not posting pictures to share, but I am the world's worst photographer. Again, thanks to all who contributed with their ideas and I recommended the trek for anyone interested in the Trans-Mississippi theater!

Back