Passover in the Confederacy

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
For at least one night each spring during the Civil War, in places like Louisiana and South Carolina and Georgia and Virginia, Confederate Jews commemorated how God freed the children of Israel from slavery. They retold the story of when God is said to have sent down 10 plagues to help free the Hebrews from their bondage, the last of which was the slaying of all Egyptians’ firstborn children, and how the Jews marked their door posts with the blood of a slaughtered lamb so the Angel of Death would know to "pass over" them. Thus, they celebrated their liberation more than 3,000 years ago from slavery in ancient Egypt, and their exodus.
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/17/passover-in-the-confederacy/?_php=true&_type=blogs&smid=fb-share&_r=0

For at least one night each spring during the Civil War, in places like Louisiana and South Carolina and Georgia and Virginia, Confederate Jews commemorated how God freed the children of Israel from slavery. They retold the story of when God is said to have sent down 10 plagues to help free the Hebrews from their bondage, the last of which was the slaying of all Egyptians’ firstborn children, and how the Jews marked their door posts with the blood of a slaughtered lamb so the Angel of Death would know to "pass over" them. Thus, they celebrated their liberation more than 3,000 years ago from slavery in ancient Egypt, and their exodus.
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/17/passover-in-the-confederacy/?_php=true&_type=blogs&smid=fb-share&_r=0

You may find this hard to believe but for at least one night each spring during the Rebellion Jews did the same thing in every Northern state as well.

You may find this hard to believe but for at least one night each spring during the Rebellion Jews did the same thing in every Northern state as well.

Why would I find that hard to believe, I’m sure both Northern and Southern Presbyterians did something similar one spring morning during the war.

Why would I find that hard to believe, I’m sure both Northern and Southern Presbyterians did something similar one spring morning during the war.

Then perhaps your reason for posting this is as analogy? God handed down 10 plagues to the Egyptians as punishment for holding the Israelites slaves - God handed down the scourge of war as punishment for Southerners for holding their slaves. God took the first born male child of the Egyptians - as punishment for their slavery God allowed Jefferson Davis to send the flower of Southern manhood to be slaughtered in the war. I can see it.

Then perhaps your reason for posting this is as analogy? God handed down 10 plagues to the Egyptians as punishment for holding the Israelites slaves - God handed down the scourge of war as punishment for Southerners for holding their slaves. God took the first born male child of the Egyptians - as punishment for their slavery God allowed Jefferson Davis to send the flower of Southern manhood to be slaughtered in the war. I can see it.
I can see that you do. :O o:

God must be a wily character then as in handing down this judgment on South he certainly sacrificed a number of the flower of Northern manhood to atone for their hypocrisy in benefiting from slavery while at the same time condemning it. God's justice is meted out to all sinners who fail to repent and ask his forgiveness.

Back