1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Ozark Folk Songs: Music about the Civil War

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by 4th-MSM, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Borderruffian

Borderruffian 2nd Lieutenant

We all know Robert Johnson wasn't a natural guitar player........................................:devil:

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

Who in heck is Robert Johnson?

4. Borderruffian

diane likes this.
  5. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Sold his soul to the Devil. Mississippi.

6. 4th-MSM

4th-MSM Sergeant

donna and Borderruffian like this.
  7. Borderruffian

8. 4th-MSM

4th-MSM Sergeant

Borderruffian likes this.
  9. Son of the South

Son of the South Private

Sir, I was not addressing my comment to you, and I do not appreciate being addressed as "Son." You are not my father, you are not my friend, and I am quite sufficiently advanced in years to render that form of address to be understood in no other way than an effort on your part to establish your superiority in a most disrespectful manner. Moreover, particularly in light of your announcement of your degree in music, I do not appreciate your condescension in referring to my style of music as "pickin' and grinnin'," nor your sneering grant to me of "permission" in telling me that if "You want to pick and grin, go for it." I agreed with you that "practice is the road to follow" and conveyed that to the OP, to whom my posts were primarily addressed. If you took offense at my expression of esteem for the young lady's singing, though I believe that no offense could reasonably be found, that is your privilege, but I must say that that is pretty thin sauce to base your disrespectful demeanor toward me upon.

CSA Today likes this.
  10. TerryB

TerryB Captain

4th-MSM likes this.
  11. TerryB

TerryB Captain

There's lots o' websites that have chords, lyrics and tabs. I'm a guitar picker and singer--mostly Contemporary Christian.

12. Son of the South

Son of the South Private

I have been finding some of them, though I'm sure I'm so far missing many others. I suppose I should be egalitarian about it and give equal time to both sides, but I simply find much more interest in the songs of the Confederacy.

TerryB likes this.
  13. 4th-MSM

4th-MSM Sergeant

14. leftyhunter

leftyhunter First Sergeant

Thank you 4th and Border for the links! I have to say I like the Irish song "I will fight for Uncle Sam" better then "Kellys Irish Brigade" but they are both great examples of old-timey music. I wonder if there was also songs written or inspired by the USCT? There must be some non-English songs about the CW on account of all the German regiments plus of course they were Nordic regiments and if I am not mistaken Hungarian regiments.

Leftyhunter

15. 4th-MSM

4th-MSM Sergeant

16. 4th-MSM

4th-MSM Sergeant

You're very welcome! :thumbsup:

I haven't seen any about the USCT or the other regiments yet, but I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them!

leftyhunter likes this.
  17. leftyhunter

leftyhunter First Sergeant

Hi 4th,
    The song about Wilsons creek is a CSA song making fun of the Dutch. I would not be surprised if the 'Dutch " had a counter song since they more then got their revenge at Pea Ridge and Parrire Grove. I still like the song because it gives great insight into the CSA mindset. Studying music is one of the best ways in the pre-recording era of getting a taste of what people felt so long ago.

Leftyhunter

4th-MSM likes this.
  18. 4th-MSM

4th-MSM Sergeant

Thanks for the correction on the Wilson's Creek song! I didn't think it sounded like a very encouraging song for the Union to sing, but wasn't for sure that it was a CSA song. If I can find one that mentions the Dutch in a good way, or talks about their battles, I'll be sure to post it!

I did find one about the Battle of Prairie Grove, though I'm not sure if it mentions the Dutch Units in particular (there's at least three variants on the website). I'll have the links posted in just a minute...

leftyhunter likes this.
  19. 4th-MSM

4th-MSM Sergeant

20. 4th-MSM

4th-MSM Sergeant

21. donna

donna Lt. Colonel Forum Host

This is a great thread. Thanks to all for the posts. I too enjoy the music of this era.

I took piano for years, not very good. I do collect old sheet music and song books. I like to collect the lyrics of these old songs and history of them and the authors of them.

I saw the post on song Bales. I have searched and searched but have not found any more than you posted. Maybe some one knows more about it.

4th-MSM likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)