Original leather care

I am not a professional conservator but have spent a lot of time reading published works and discussing it with friends and acquaintances who are conservators. The few original leather pieces that I own had various types of damage but most of it was dirt/dust/light mold and red rot. I laid out a clean white cloth and began cleaning by dry brushing with natural bristle brushes of various stiffness until no more dirt came from the object. While doing this it's important not to over brush or "lift" or chip any damaged areas of the leather surface, finish, etc. that may be cracked. Once brushed and clean I applied two to three coats of Cellugel with another set of natural bristle brushes, making sure to apply it evenly and thin when necessary and as directed. The Cellugel is widely used in stabilizing leather book covers and spines as well as other damaged antique leather. Once dry the object can be handled and deterioration will be stabilized; it will also darken the leather a bit but not like an actual oil or stain would.

Beyond this I haven't done anything else. As opposed to conservation, some people make efforts to restore their objects and that is a whole different ball game that I am not familiar with. Below are some pictures of an original Wilkerson & Cummings state of Massachusetts contract .58 caliber cartridge box that I cleaned and conserved in the method above. I really should have taken a "before" picture; it was filthy and packed with dust and dirt.

DSCF1594.JPG

DSCF1596.JPG

DSCF1610.JPG

DSCF1609.JPG

I am not a professional conservator but have spent a lot of time reading published works and discussing it with friends and acquaintances who are conservators. The few original leather pieces that I own had various types of damage but most of it was dirt/dust/light mold and red rot. I laid out a clean white cloth and began cleaning by dry brushing with natural bristle brushes of various stiffness until no more dirt came from the object. While doing this it's important not to over brush or "lift" or chip any damaged areas of the leather surface, finish, etc. that may be cracked. Once brushed and clean I applied two to three coats of Cellugel with another set of natural bristle brushes, making sure to apply it evenly and thin when necessary and as directed. The Cellugel is widely used in stabilizing leather book covers and spines as well as other damaged antique leather. Once dry the object can be handled and deterioration will be stabilized; it will also darken the leather a bit but not like an actual oil or stain would.

Beyond this I haven't done anything else. As opposed to conservation, some people make efforts to restore their objects and that is a whole different ball game that I am not familiar with. Below are some pictures of an original Wilkerson & Cummings state of Massachusetts contract .58 caliber cartridge box that I cleaned and conserved in the method above. I really should have taken a "before" picture; it was filthy and packed with dust and dirt.

View attachment 125347

View attachment 125348

View attachment 125350

View attachment 125349
Thank you! I will look into this asap!

Back