Preservation Opportunity: 15 acres of Fleetwood Hill, near Brandy Station, VA

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
From Eric Wittenburg's "Rantings of a Civil War Historian"

As I mentioned yesterday, there is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to purchase 50 acres of Fleetwood Hill (and to tear down the hideous McMansion that tops the hill), the site of four major cavalry battles in 1862-1863. If I was Joseph McKinney (and thank God that I’m not), the following things would have happened already:​
1. I would have contacted the realtor for the sale of the 15-acre tract at the top of Fleetwood Hill and would have engaged in negotiations to conclude a contract for the purchase of the land.​
2. I would have sent out a mass fundraising appeal to my membership, pointing out that this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to save the most fought-over piece of ground in the United States, and I would be doing everything humanly possible to make that happen.​

Read More Here: http://civilwarcavalry.com/?p=3329

This is a rare opportunity to save an important piece of Civil War Hallowed Ground. I hope that the Civil War Trust or some other worthy organization, or individual can save and preserve what's left of a very important piece history.

From Eric Wittenburg's "Rantings of a Civil War Historian"

As I mentioned yesterday, there is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to purchase 50 acres of Fleetwood Hill (and to tear down the hideous McMansion that tops the hill), the site of four major cavalry battles in 1862-1863. If I was Joseph McKinney (and thank God that I’m not), the following things would have happened already:​
1. I would have contacted the realtor for the sale of the 15-acre tract at the top of Fleetwood Hill and would have engaged in negotiations to conclude a contract for the purchase of the land.​
2. I would have sent out a mass fundraising appeal to my membership, pointing out that this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to save the most fought-over piece of ground in the United States, and I would be doing everything humanly possible to make that happen.​

Read More Here: http://civilwarcavalry.com/?p=3329

I wish I could be there when they take the "large removal tool" to scrape the McMansion from that hallowed hill!

Back