One man's opinion: the 10 best ACW Generals

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
This appeared today on Facebook: http://warrior.scout.com/story/1461364-the-10-best-generals-of-the-civil-war?s=155
This is NOT my opinion! :D I will list the names, but if you want to read the reasoning, click on the link.

10 - Jubal Early
9 - George G. Meade
8 - James Longstreet
7 - George Thomas
6 - Phil Sheridan
5 - N.B. Forrest
4 - U.S. Grant
3 - William T. Sherman
2 - Robt. E. Lee
1 - Stonewall Jackson

This appeared today on Facebook: http://warrior.scout.com/story/1461364-the-10-best-generals-of-the-civil-war?s=155
This is NOT my opinion! :D I will list the names, but if you want to read the reasoning, click on the link.

10 - Jubal Early
9 - George G. Meade
8 - James Longstreet
7 - George Thomas
6 - Phil Sheridan
5 - N.B. Forrest
4 - U.S. Grant
3 - William T. Sherman
2 - Robt. E. Lee
1 - Stonewall Jackson

Jackson in front of Lee and Sherman in front of Grant. I think he may have been drinking some of the stuff Grant was during the War a little too much. Enjoyed the read though :thumbsup:.

I don't think Sheridan should be on the list and I would rank Sherman down the line considerably (and only have him on the list at all on account of his logistical and organizational abilities).

Besides which, in discussions like this it's necessary to define your terms. Lee, Grant and Sherman were commanders of large armies or army groups, having overall authority in an entire theater of war. The other men on the list commanded smaller forces. So what exactly are we ranking here?

I'd put Patrick Cleburne on the list, but are we including division commanders here?

10 - Jubal Early
9 - George G. Meade
8 - James Longstreet
7 - George Thomas
6 - Phil Sheridan
5 - N.B. Forrest
4 - U.S. Grant
3 - William T. Sherman
2 - Robt. E. Lee
1 - Stonewall Jackson

I could agree with the choices, or at least dont disagree as some others have, below. I think 1-5 is solid but the difficulty comes with the last 5, there are so many choices, and men who served in different theaters and capacities.

Others who should be on the list: Stuart, Reynolds and Claiborne.

Well.... this is clearly one mans opinion.

My own list is pretty standard.

1. Robert E. Lee
2. US Grant
3. George Thomas
4. Stonewall Jackson
5. William T. Sherman
6. James Longstreet
7. JEB Stuart
8. George Gordon Meade
9. Sam Curtis
10. Patrick Cleburne

Reactions: ole
Any list should include Gen. A. J. Smith.

Kevin Dally

AJ-Smith-1.jpg

Bet he could kick Rebel butt! :tongue:

1. Robert Edward Lee
2. Ulysses Simpson Grant
3. William Tecumseh Sherman
4.Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
5. James S. Longstreet
6. George Gordon Meade
7. Philip Henry Sheridan
8.James Ewell Brown "Jeb" Stuart
9. Patrick Ronayne Cleburne
10.Albert Sidney Johnston

Just my opinion of course but these are the guys I consider the greatest or could have been had they lived.

1. Robert Edward Lee
2. Ulysses Simpson Grant
3. William Tecumseh Sherman
4.Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
5. James S. Longstreet
6. George Gordon Meade
7. Philip Henry Sheridan
8.James Ewell Brown "Jeb" Stuart
9. Patrick Ronayne Cleburne
10.Albert Sidney Johnston

Just my opinion of course but these are the guys I consider the greatest or could have been had they lived.
Albert Sidney Johnston...you are kidding, right?

Kevin Dally

Back