Old Bay Seasoning

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Old Bay Seasoning was first made by Gustav Brunn, a German immigrant in the early 1940s. It was produced in the Chesapeake Bay area. It was named after the Old Bay Line, a passenger ship that piled the waters of the Chesapeake Bay from Baltimore to Norfolk, Va. in the early 1900s.

Gustav Brunn's Company became the Old Bay Company. The seasoning was sold in an unique yellow can container. The Company was later purchased by McCormick. McCormick still offers it in the classic yellow container.

The mixture contains celery salt, bay leaf, mustard seed, both black and red pepper, cinnamon and ginger. It is used mostly to flavor crab and shrimp. However, my Granddad always used it in his Fried Catfish recipe, which I have posted on before. See http://civilwartalk.com/threads/fried-catfish.74687/

Is that why you left E.J. ? :whistling: Anything other then Old Bay in these parts is non PC.
Hey Ken, hope you are doing well.
I just kept hearing that "there is no life west of the bay" and I just had to set out and see for myself, kinda like Columbus. Well I am happy to report that there is.
A crabber up around the Bohemia River area turned me on to the JO. I liked it so I made the switch. Also heard some folks say that after McCormick bought the Old Bay brand in 90' it tasted different but Baltimore Spice was still mixing it. I dont remember a difference. My Grandma in Berlin, MD just passed away a couple weeks ago. She was my go to for this stuff.

Back