Ol' John Burns Advances (100 Feet)

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
In the 1930's, the curve in Stone Avenue was added routing it away from the John Burns monument. This resulted in the monument sitting some 100 feet back from the new road. It was at this time the monument along with the boulder it sat on was moved to its present location next to the curve in Stone Avenue. Below is a early 20th century view along with a modern image that shows how far the monument was moved. I will also include photo I took last year that shows the concrete slab where the monument was originally located. The slab can be seen today on the east side of the worm fence.
burns combo.jpg

IMG_0218.JPG

You are correct, Bee. Notice the state of disrepair in the ca. 1900 photo. At the time of the battle it looked more like it does in the now photo.

I DID notice the disrepair, which is why I was a little confused if it was the same structure. Love these Before & After -- keep 'em coming :smile:

I DID notice the disrepair, which is why I was a little confused if it was the same structure. Love these Before & After -- keep 'em coming :smile:
Thanks for the interest in my photos, Bee. You might like to see this comparison I made of the McPherson Barn using a photo taken at the same time as my Burns photo. Again. what you see now is very much as the soldiers saw it as evidenced in Brady's i863 image.
mbarnfinal.jpg

Bee, if you look closely at the left side of both photos, (of the barn), you can see the Oak Ridge tower in the distance-the shortened version in the now shot.

Wait, wait, waidaminute...how old ARE those towers??? (in their original placement) I thought that they were a fairly new contraption (new being relative)

Back