Oh no, not another black confederate thread!

Mild53

First Sergeant
I came across another contemporaneous mention of a black confederate soldier. This one is in the "History of the Fifth Maine Regiment". It was published in 1871 and written by a credible authority, an officer who became a church pastor, Rev. George Bicknell.

In his description of the aftermath of the battle at Elthams Landing, May 7, 1862 he writes “A fully armed Negro soldier was brought into camp as prisoner today.” P93 (The History is available in Google books). Hood’s Texas Brigade fought in this rear guide action so the Negro was likely associated with a regiment in this brigade.

This is the one and only mention of black confederates in the book and unlike other incidents described there was no discussion of it, just this one note.

The author clearly believed that the Negro was a soldier and not a servant, cook or teamster. I suppose that this incident was mentioned for one of two reasons. 1) It was unusual - as in not common. 2) it was hard to understand – as in not what the author expected.

If federal soldiers thought that African Americans fought for the confederacy, its not reasonable to say that they didn't. However, the fact that they find this unusual or surprising means that it was not widespread.

What do you think of my conclusion?

Back