obscure civil war movies

Theres one called the" Ghost Brigade" although it's title has been changed to "the Gray Ghost" it's a cheesy civil war based zombie movie..it's not a B movie it's maybe a C or D movie...lol if you can find it :smile:

Pharos Army, starring Cris Cooper and Kris Kristopherson. Great independent film. Based on a true story.

North and south TV movie. Had some good parts but also a whole lot of soap. It was made in the early 80's, in the primetime soap era of TV, and it showed.

The Last Confederate: The Story of Robert Adams (2007) is based on a true story. Also "The Colt" (2004), a story about a cavalry trooper of the 1st Michigan Cavalry whose mare foals a colt. The unit then drags it along with them thinking it is a good luck charm! Good entertainment, I would recommend them as they are good stories.

Well, I just got done watching "Santa Fe Trail". It's a 1940 CW film, fairly obscure I think. Nice action flick but don't look for any accuracy! Custer and Stuart were bosom buddies; Stuart was always called Jeb not James; Spencers, artillery and cavalry were used to put down John Brown at Harpers Ferry; Stuart married some gal named Kit Carson - not Flora; Lee had a beard but it wasn't grey yet... But, not a bad movie altogether. Stuart with or without his beard was never Errol Flynn but then Ronald Reagan was no Custer, either! (Don't think Flora looked like Olivia DeHaviland for that matter...)

The Last Confederate: The Story of Robert Adams (2007) is based on a true story. Also "The Colt" (2004), a story about a cavalry trooper of the 1st Michigan Cavalry whose mare foals a colt. The unit then drags it along with them thinking it is a good luck charm! Good entertainment, I would recommend them as they are good stories.

Are these on DVD?

I recommend "Friendly Persuasion," with Gary Cooper, Dorothy McGuire and Anthony Perkins. (1954) I don't know if qualifies as obscure or not, but it is a good film. Has a great story, is somewhat controversial, and has a wholesome moral lesson behind it.

The film is about a Southern Indiana quaker family that is trying to hold true to its pacifist principles in the middle of the ACW, which ends up encroaching upon them and challenges their virtues.

Anyway, I liked it so much that I bought it as a birthday present to myself a few weeks ago.

That was interesting - it was mentioned that one of the men passing by was Jeb Stuart, after the battle of Yellow Tavern. There was another Twilight Zone episode, can't remember the title, but some Confederates happened on a conjure man who told them he could show them how to cast a spell and win the war. The only catch was they had to sell their souls to the devil!

Yes, a deceased Jeb Stuart passed by, and the last man to pass by the house was Abe Lincoln. It must've been about 8 months or so ago that I found all three 10 minute segments of the :30 minute episode on Youtube. Now they're not there, I guess due to copyright regs...I wanted to post that episode up so badly.

Lee

A Twilight Zone episode: "The Passerby".

This.

I recently got hold of the boxset of season 3 of the original series, and both this and the one diane mentions (called 'Still Valley') are on it. Excellent yarns.

As for obscure films, I picked up a disc called 'Ambrose Bierce: Civil War' which contain dramatisations of three of his stories wrapped around an unnecessary and tedious framing device. I was impressed at how they did 'An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge', which I think the 'Twilight Zone' also did.

I read about a book, "Gone with the Glory: The Civil War in Cinema" by Brian Steel Willis. It covers every era of the more than 700 Civil War films. Sounds like it be interesting to read.

Also there are these old films on Quantril which I have seen on TV in the past and are on DVD:

"Dark Command" (1940) with John Wayne, Walter Pigeon and Roy Rogers.

"Red Mountain" (1951) with Alan Ladd

"Quantril's Raiders" (1958) with Steve Cochran

I recommend "Friendly Persuasion," with Gary Cooper, Dorothy McGuire and Anthony Perkins. (1954) I don't know if qualifies as obscure or not, but it is a good film. Has a great story, is somewhat controversial, and has a wholesome moral lesson behind it.

The film is about a Southern Indiana quaker family that is trying to hold true to its pacifist principles in the middle of the ACW, which ends up encroaching upon them and challenges their virtues.

Anyway, I liked it so much that I bought it as a birthday present to myself a few weeks ago.
It's considered a classic.

Back