Lincoln November Foreverteenth, 1863

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Always and forever fascinates me and most here. Obviously not all- when Lincoln stood before that sea of upturned faces and said those words. Because we're SO, so lucky having access here on the forum ( some, anyway, a lot knew before joining ) realities of that day have been sketched for us more and more clearly. Brady and Wauld should be so lucky, join CWT.

Gives me chills, being there. Close as we can get still pretty gosh darned good. Please feel free to ad?
gb national cem5.jpg

The President's Hymn

gd1.JPG

gd2.JPG

gd3.JPG

gb nov1.jpg

gb national cem7.jpg

The Dedication Of Our National Cemetery
gd4.JPG

gd5.JPG

gd6.JPG

gb national cem7bigger.jpg

Little enlarges

gb national cem8.jpg

Enlarged
gb national cem8b.jpg

gb frm rostrum.jpg

gd7.JPG

gd8.JPG

I gather there is a brauahaha over which black-headed or hatted or bearded dot in the crowd is Lincoln? Have not looked into it myself. Saying this in case I'm posting a controversial ' Lincoln', please excuse! Just hate being saying anything controversial. :angel:

The first photo says ' Cemetery from Rostrum', maybe means taken from the spot Lincoln stood? Don't you love that and going there when visiting?

gb frm rostrum2.jpg
gb l1.JPG
gb l2.JPG
gb l3.JPG
gb l4.JPG
gb l5.JPG

extremely powerful words were spoken there.

gives me chills scrolling through the photos. thanks for posting!

Me too. The groups standing and walking get to me, caught not aware their stroll towards seeing one of the finest, greatest, most quoted speeches in American History was being recorded. That kind of thing always gives me chills.

There are soldiers in these photos too. Double chills- it's very unlikely but can't help thinking ' what if ' one is my grgrgrandfather? Before I began digging for more information we knew he'd heard The Gettysburg Address, not why. There were a ton of regiments there, no idea how many. For some reason Lincoln invited the 50th Pennsylvania Infantry, calling it ' Old Reliable '. How that came about, his personal take on it, have no idea. They were at Vucksburg July 2-4, 1863 not Gettysburg. My grgrgrandfather Harry ( Harrison ) Walton was in the 50th. It's just a cool thought knowing he was there, a cooler thought wondering if he is included in any photos captured that day besides the one taken of the 50th encampment.

50th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg, November 1863. Kills me knowing Harry is one of these men.
50thpagbbigger1.jpg

Me too. The groups standing and walking get to me, caught not aware their stroll towards seeing one of the finest, greatest, most quoted speeches in American History was being recorded. That kind of thing always gives me chills.

There are soldiers in these photos too. Double chills- it's very unlikely but can't help thinking ' what if ' one is my grgrgrandfather? Before I began digging for more information we knew he'd heard The Gettysburg Address, not why. There were a ton of regiments there, no idea how many. For some reason Lincoln invited the 50th Pennsylvania Infantry, calling it ' Old Reliable '. How that came about, his personal take on it, have no idea. They were at Vucksburg July 2-4, 1863 not Gettysburg. My grgrgrandfather Harry ( Harrison ) Walton was in the 50th. It's just a cool thought knowing he was there, a cooler thought wondering if he is included in any photos captured that day besides the one taken of the 50th encampment.

50th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg, November 1863. Kills me knowing Harry is one of these men.
View attachment 76464

He's standing in front of the white tent, just to the left of the guy in the blue uniform, with the rifle in his hand. Don't know how you missed him, JPK! :giggle:

He's standing in front of the white tent, just to the left of the guy in the blue uniform, with the rifle in his hand. Don't know how you missed him, JPK! :giggle:

HA! There he is!! You can tell by his eyes! Oh well at least we have 2 regimental photos, some do not have any. We only have one of Harry. It's SO frustrating because one in his uniform exits. An elderly relative, a 2nd cousin remembers seeing it on the wall somewhere as a child. One of those oval frames with convex glass? Tracking it from there has been impossible, you know, as daughters get married and names change. Oi. I don't need to own the photo would just like a photo of it!

Also taken at Gettysburg, photo taken of the officers of the 50th Pennsylvania
gb 50th pa offcrs.jpg

gb 50th pa offcrs2.jpg

Just finished Trudeau's Gettysburg last night. It ends with the Gettysburg Address, which I found a tad bit cliché, but nonetheless figured it would have to be worked in somewhere (how could it not?). Still an outstanding book

After reading the words over and over, I was just struck at how few words were used to perfectly describe the situation. If only I could be so inclined to be so succinct in my ideas. Also reminded me of a 2nd grade project I had to do where we had to report on a historical figure, and I chose Abe Lincoln (who knew that it would have led to this ACW obsession??). I can still vividly remember memorizing the Gettysburg Address and dressing up in top hat and beard...

Those are absolutely stunning photographs, and what more can one say of the Gettysburg Address. It was one of the most powerful speeches in American history and it laid out a new and positive vision for the US.

Isn't there some controversy over where Lincoln was actually standing when he gave the speech? If I'm not mistaken, I understand that historians and park service rangers have had conflicting views about his location.

Those are absolutely stunning photographs, and what more can one say of the Gettysburg Address. It was one of the most powerful speeches in American history and it laid out a new and positive vision for the US.

Isn't there some controversy over where Lincoln was actually standing when he gave the speech? If I'm not mistaken, I understand that historians and park service rangers have had conflicting views about his location.

I think I did hear that? Given the photographs, Lincoln identified in them albeit walking away from making his speech, you would think some genius could glue all the photos, measurements, that flagpole together and come up with something definitive, right? Bet it could be done.

The photographers figured that as Edward Everett had spoken for over 2 hours, the President could be expected to speak for longer than 2 minutes and they would have plenty of time to get some good photos of Abe. :D

Back