Monuments North Carolina Civil War Monuments

Confederate Soldiers Monument

Old Jackson County Courthouse, Keener St. and Savannah Rd., Sylva, NC.
1.jpg

Kinston-Lenoir County Visitors Center. 101 E. New Bern Rd. Kinston NC. Monument originally located at N. Queen St. and Summit Ave.. in Kinston. For a time the monument was at the CSS Neuse/Gov. Caswell Memorial until being moved to its present site.

1.jpg

Near intersection of E. Dobbin Ave. and Morganton Rd. Fayetteville, NC.

1.jpg

Reactions: Lee

Memorial Drinking Fountain. Lincoln County Courthouse. Court Square Dr. and W. Main St. Lincolnton, NC.

1.jpg

Reactions: Lee
Expired Image Removed

One-fifth of the Confederate losses in the Seven Days' battles near Richmond in 1862, one-third at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, and one-fourth at Gettysburg were North Carolinians. Of the twenty-seven regiments suffering the highest casualties at Gettysburg, thirteen were from North Carolina.

Source: Hugh Talmage Lefler and Albert Ray Newsome, The History of a Southern State, North Carolina (Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 1963), pp. 430-431

"First at Bethel, Farthest to the front at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, and Last at Appomattox"

General Joseph Johnston Statue

General Johnston’s statue is located on private property along Harper House Road one quarter mile east of the Bentonville Battlefield Visitor Center.

Good Ol' Joe! Remember back on the THC board we had a big discussion about this statue? :wub:He's kind of grown on me now, though. Not too bad! By the way, I'm really enjoying all these pictures. Thanks for posting them!

Good Ol' Joe! Remember back on the THC board we had a big discussion about this statue? :wub:He's kind of grown on me now, though. Not too bad! By the way, I'm really enjoying all these pictures. Thanks for posting them!

The statue is definitely not Gutzon Borglum quality work but not that bad either when you get close to it. I plan to be about 50 feet or so from the monument Saturday at a booth. A navy friend of mine belongs to the local SCV camp that raised the money for the monument so the annual living history to do is a chance for me to see him as well as the sights of Bentonville. They are dedicating a Federal monument tSaturday at the battlefield and that will be a first for them and likely something of a curiosity for many of the park visitors.

Lieutenant Charles Brown (21st Michigan) describing a Confederate attack on his position at Bentonville: “stood as long as a man could stand and when that was no longer a possibility we run like the duce.”
The Battle of Bentonville, 19-21 March 1865

This memorial is in honor of all McDowell County citizens who died in U.S. wars. One panel is in honor of McDowell county's Confederate Dead. McDowell County Courthouse, 49 S. Main St, Marion NC.

1.jpg
1.jpg

your pictures are very nice!!! Here are a few that my wife took. The first is from Chatham County, Pittsboro, NC
145.jpg

next is a nice shot she took of the monument in Graham, NC
157.jpg

do any of y'all have pictures of the monument that once stood in the center of Reidsville, NC? I miss that ole boy. It is too bad that he is still down. Hopefully, the government will come to their senses and get him put back up.

Back