Breechldrs New Model 1859 Sharps "Navy" Carbine question.

Michael W.

First Sergeant
Ok, so I have a question about the small number of NM1859 Sharps carbines that were purchased by the Navy in the early days of the CW. Researching McAulay, Flayderman and the NRA, I know that the major characteristic of these carbines were that they were not equipped with a saddle bar and ring on the left side of the receiver, but a swivel ring was added on the rear end of the stock. I know that they fall within the serial range of 40,000 to 44,000 (The ones I have seen are all in the 43,000 range). Supposedly there were approx. 300 purchased according to the NRA. 190 of these were post-war altered to 50/70 caliber.
So my question is, is it possible that there were carbines produced without the saddle bar and ring, that were not issued to the Navy, say, wound up on the civilian market? Wondering if some of the way more knowledgeable folks here can help me out.....

Just wanting to know if anyone has any more information than I do...
I just picked up a M1859 in the Navy Contract.. Serial number 43xxx.. I am also wondering about how these were used... In ship to ship action, a number of sharpshooters would go up into the rigging and a Sharps would be ideal for that. Also on landing parties it would be a good weapon to have. They only made 3000 for the contract so I don't know if their use was well documented?? They were all made in 1861 so they saw plenty of use I am sure. I would think that a North Atlantic Squadron ship would have sent a boarding party over to a blockade runner well armed. I am sure they got spread around.

I just picked up a M1859 in the Navy Contract.. Serial number 43xxx.. I am also wondering about how these were used... In ship to ship action, a number of sharpshooters would go up into the rigging and a Sharps would be ideal for that. Also on landing parties it would be a good weapon to have. They only made 3000 for the contract so I don't know if their use was well documented?? They were all made in 1861 so they saw plenty of use I am sure. I would think that a North Atlantic Squadron ship would have sent a boarding party over to a blockade runner well armed. I am sure they got spread around.
Added note.. In reviewing Mcauley's book on Civil War Small Arms of the US Navy and Marine Corps, I cannot find any mention of this contract. There is mention of Mitchell's contract that is mentioned in the low 40,000 range but these were rifles and the numbers mentioned are about 1500, not the 3000 commonly referenced when you see these carbines sold. You would have thunk that Mcauley would have referenced that but the fact that he did not makes me wonder a bit ??? Could this be a matter of a myth getting legs over the year, fostered by Flayderman (or others )having a bit of literary license to expound on a theory they had?

Ok, so I have a question about the small number of NM1859 Sharps carbines that were purchased by the Navy in the early days of the CW. Researching McAulay, Flayderman and the NRA, I know that the major characteristic of these carbines were that they were not equipped with a saddle bar and ring on the left side of the receiver, but a swivel ring was added on the rear end of the stock. I know that they fall within the serial range of 40,000 to 44,000 (The ones I have seen are all in the 43,000 range). Supposedly there were approx. 300 purchased according to the NRA. 190 of these were post-war altered to 50/70 caliber.
So my question is, is it possible that there were carbines produced without the saddle bar and ring, that were not issued to the Navy, say, wound up on the civilian market? Wondering if some of the way more knowledgeable folks here can help me out.....

Just curious. Are you asking about the Sharps & Hankins 1859 model? I doubt you are because the sales to the Navy does not match.
Navy purchased 6,000 plus out of 8,000 produced. The Army purchased about 1,500 which were the 22 or 24" barrel I can't remember off hand, which was the same length as the Navy. I believe 500 were the 19" barrel carbine for the Calvary. They had the saddle ring.
I doubt we are talking about the same gun, but I had to ask. S&H Navy also had the leather sleeve on the barrel. Some have been removed because of deterioration. Which makes it look like the Army rifle.

Just curious. Are you asking about the Sharps & Hankins 1859 model? I doubt you are because the sales to the Navy does not match.
Navy purchased 6,000 plus out of 8,000 produced. The Army purchased about 1,500 which were the 22 or 24" barrel I can't remember off hand, which was the same length as the Navy. I believe 500 were the 19" barrel carbine for the Calvary. They had the saddle ring.
I doubt we are talking about the same gun, but I had to ask. S&H Navy also had the leather sleeve on the barrel. Some have been removed because of deterioration. Which makes it look like the Army rifle.
No, not S&H. Sharps Carbine.

Back