New Mexico Campaign 1862

Kizior

Cadet
Hey
I'm looking for source materials, letters, orders, books, etc. that are concerned on the expedition under the leadership of H.H. Sibley to New Mexico in 1862, and battles at Valverde and Glorieta Pass.

I already have many stuff from archive.org, and such books like:

The Seventh Star of the Confederacy: Texas during the Civil War

Knights of the Golden Circle: Secret Empire, Southern Secession, Civil War

Henry Hopkins Sibley: Confederate General of the West.

Distant Bugles, Distant Drums: The Union Response to the Confederate Invasion of New Mexico

Confederate Invasion of New Mexico and Arizona, 1861-1862. Great West and Indian Series

Rebels in the Rockies: Confederate Irregulars in the Western Territories

Im especially interested in materials that are available online.

For example:
When the Texans Came: Missing Records from the Civil War in the Southwest, 1861-1862

Civil War in the Southwest: Recollections of the Sibley Brigade

Confederate Pathway to the Pacific: Major Sherod Hunter ad Arizona Territory, C.S.A

Blood and Treasure: Confederate Empire in the Southwest

Los Angeles in Civil War Days, 1860-1865

Lone Star Regiments in Gray

I need this for book that I intend to write - (in Poland American Civil War is popular subject with many fans
but battles of Valverde and Glorieta are still untold, and are unknown in their bigger part.
It's time to change that.

Im member of a reenacment group.
A group that reenact "1st Regiment od Death Zouaves" - one of most extraordinary, but sadly unknown outside Poland, military formations - from so called "January Uprising" - a anti-Russian revolt in Poland ( year 1863 ), which was being unleash almost at the same time as ACW.

Try to read "Zouaves of Death" on Wikipedia.

25mo7.jpg

so if someone is interested - in exchange of e-books, some PDFs, and if you want to read about the January uprising, I'll be wery glad to exchange some books with you.
I'm also will be happy, without exchange books, because probably not all people, are interesed in Poland history.
If you can provide some interesting sources, books, or send some pdf via e-mail, that also will be very appreciated.

Greetings to all, and I hope that friends from America will not refuse a small help for fan of their country history :smile:

Last edited:
Great topic! I would highly recommend Donald S. Frazier's Blood and Treasure: The Confederate Empire in the Southwest, which pretty much covers everything there is on the New Mexico Campaign.

Also recommend Bloody Valverde: A Civil War Battle on the Rio Grande, February 21, 1862 by John Taylor for an in depth read on the Battle of Valverde.

For Glorieta Pass, The Battle of Glorieta Pass: A Gettysburg in the West, March 26-28, 1862 by Thomas S. Edrington and John Taylor.

Also, The Texas State Historical Association's Texas Handbook Online is a great online source for anything Texas in the ACW. Just use their search engine.

Back