Need Help with Brady CDV

Chris Callahan

Private
6536552331_1ca19cec1a_b.jpg
6536542783_43998f0825_b.jpg

All: I pasted from the "Uniform" forum the following post of mine:

Thanks to all responders! I have been obsessed with this reasearch. Many questions abound. In early CW the uniform regulations (USN) were very specific for dress uniforms. With ample funding and support, the Navy already had a support in place to address the correct wearing of the uniform. Calvary trousers would not be allowed in public. A senior officer (Captain?) would have squashed that appearance. Remember, the peace time Navy was filled with Charles Wilkes types of tyrants. I have eyed the hyperlinks, and I still see many glaring errors. Gold stripes (without adjoining cuff buttons)... Very wide gold stripes place abnormally high up the sleeve... the distance (gap) between stripe and star very wide. Six point? Have not seen one yet on a Navy officer...

How about this....

Foreign officer, Merchant Mariner, early CSN blockade runner? The very first blockade runners originated in England. The Confederates had not even standardized a uniform in 1861. The first uniforms were in fact Blue... and hybrids of Royal Navy or French... these early crews that picked up vessels from Liverpool may have simply gone to local tailors for an adhoc uniform. Of course none of this explains how a confederate could get into a Brady studio for a snapshot?

Still searching... but having fun being lost!

Chris​
Now.... I think I am not so concerned by the uniform (although I would still love to hear any expert opinions)... I would really like to hear from experts on the back side. What date time frame (Fall of 1860-1862?)... what studio (NY or DC?).... what does the ink writing mean (Catalog info?)... who would have written the pencil notations (coincides almost perfectly to JD Bulloch).

Appreciate any help,

Chris

Expired Image Removed
Post war picture of Bulloch.........guess what, your image IS James Dunwoody Bulloch, whose home, Bulloch Hall in Roswell GA, I am currently sitting only about 10 miles from right now. (if that many!) Bulloch did spend a bit of time in NY on his way to England, since he was related by marriage and an uncle to a young lad named Theodore Roosevelt, Jr.

O.R.--SERIES III--VOLUME I [S# 122]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, REPORTS, AND RETURNS OF THE UNION AUTHORITIES FROM NOVEMBER 1, 1860, TO MARCH 31, 1862.(*)--#18
[Inclosure.]
No. 14.] CONSULATE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
London,
July 19, 1861.
Hon. WILLIAM H. SEWARD,
Secretary of State:
SIR: Your dispatch of June 10, covering a dispatch dated May 5, from Mr. Hollis White, notifying me of the suspected visit of Capt. J. D. Bulloch to England, was duly received. This man is here and his movements are observed. He is in frequent counsel with Messrs. Yancey, Huse, Holland, and other Southern agents here. He and Huse went to the Continent yesterday--I understand to Paris.

Thus far I have not been able to learn whether or not any privateer has been fitted out or any vessel secured for such a purpose, though I have been on a constant watch in anticipation of making such a discovery. I incline strongly to the opinion that they are not fitting out any vessel for privateering purposes in these islands. I do not think they are doing much in the way of procuring material aid of any kind for their cause. They are, I now have reason to believe, getting a few Enfield rifles in England, which I think they ship from here to the West Indies or Mexico, and then take their chance of getting them into Texas by the aid of small vessels across to the American coast on the Gulf of Mexico, or on the Atlantic coast of Florida and Georgia.

[excerpt]
A part of the guns he alludes to are no doubt the New York State purchase, made through their agent, Mr. Schuyler, and the 20,000 spoken of must be Colt's contract, the most of which is for gun barrels, locks, and gun mountings, to be put together in the United States. The "mysterious order" I think is from New Orleans. It is for 10,000, or such is the report, and it cannot be completed for six months to come, if it is ever done.

The negotiations of Southern agents for the steamers Victoria and Adelaide are at least suspended, if not entirely abandoned, and the steamer building at Stockton-on-the-Tees for the Charleston house is not yet launched.

Secessionists here are in correspondence with a Mr. Amedee Simonin, commission merchant, New York. May he not be one of their means of communication South?
I have the honor to be, your most obedient servant,
F. H. MORSE.
-----------
O.R.--SERIES IV--VOLUME II [S# 128]
Correspondence, Orders, Reports, And Returns Of The Confederate Authorities, July 1, 1862-December 31, 1863.(*)--#37
6 AVENUE MATIGNON, PARIS, September 15, 1863.
Hon. C. G. MEMMINGER,
Secretary of the Treasury, Richmond:
I have the honor to inclose duplicate of my dispatch(*) of the 4th instant (No. 6), with the copy of a letter(*) from Capt. James D. Bulloch, and a corrected statement of the amount advanced the War Department from the proceeds of the loan. The originals of these papers went by the Halifax and Bermuda route on the 5th instant, but fearing that communications by that route may not now be able to reach you, I send this by the French West India mail, under cover to Maj. C. J. Helm, of Havana.
[excerpt]
With much respect, your obedient servant,
C. J. McRAE,
Agent for the Loan.
Corrected statement of payments made on account of the War Department from proceeds of loan.
£ s. d.
To Major Huse for S. Isaac, Campbell & Co.:
Prior to May 25 90,000 0 0
Subscribed stock 132,224 15 10
Bonds full paid up 135,000 0 0
Cash 100,000 0 0
To pay Colonel Gorgas' account 22,500 0 0
H. O. Brewer (money loaned) 10,251 4 7
489,976 0 5

To Captain Crenshaw by Mr. Mason 55,000 0 0
544,976 0 5
MAY 25, 1863.
[Sub-inclosure No. 2.]
C. S. Navy Department in account with loan of £3,000,000.
DR.
£ s. d.
Mar. 24. To amount paid out of £150,000 advanced on theorder of Mr. Mason and Mr. Spence for
Capt. J. H. North 26,000 0 0
For M. F. Maury 38,962 13 4
For J. D. Bulloch 30,037 6 8
£ s. d.
95,000 0 0
June 20. To Captain Bulloch (l,440,000 francs) .... .... .... 57,600 0 0
June 26. To Capt. J. H. North .... .... .... 30,000 0 0
July 8. To Capt. J. D. Bulloch .... .... .... 13,750 0 0
July 15. To Capt. M. F. Maury .... .... .... 3,000 0 0
July 15. To Capt. M. F. Maury .... .... .... 25,000 0 0
July 25. To Capt. J. D. Bulloch (800,000 francs) .... .... .... 32,000 0 0
July 30. To Capt. J. D. Bulloch (720,000 francs) .... .... .... 28,800 0 0
Aug. 25. To Capt. J. D. Bulloch .... .... .... 52,000 0 0
Sept. 4. To Capt. J. D. Bulloch (720,000 francs) .... .... .... 28,800 0 0
Sept. 14. To Capt. J. D. Bulloch (800,000 francs) .... .... .... 32,000 0 0
440,500 0 0

CR.
£ s. d.
By Treasury warrants received from Capt. J. D. Bulloch:
Warrant 308291 300,000 0 0
Warrant 250317 26,000 0 0
Warrant 251317 38,962 13 4
364,962 13 4
Balance .... .... .... 75,537 6 8
----------------------------------------
Navy O.R.-- Series II--Volume 2
Contents.
Navy Department to J. D. Bulloch May 9 Order to proceed to England to buy ships. 64

J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Aug. 13 Reports of work in Europe as to the purchase of ships and arms. 83
Navy Department to J. D. Bulloch. Sept. 26 Sets forth the need of arms and ammunition for the Confederate States Navy and equipment for the Confederate States Marine Corps. 95
Navy Department to J. H. North. Sept. 27 Regrets inability to give orders for purchase or construction of ships in Europe. 95
J. D. Bulloch to A. D. Mann. Oct. 3 Reports change of duties in assuming command of a ship to carry valuable cargo to Confederate States. 96
Navy Department to J. D. Bulloch and J. H. North. Oct. 8 Announcing visit of Colonel Ficklen to Great Britain on public business. 97
J. H. North to J. D. Bulloch. Oct. 9 Requests transfer of documents and moneys from Bulloch before his return to the Confederate States. 97
J. D. Bulloch to J. H. North. do Declines to turn over moneys intrusted to him by the Confederate States Government to J. H. North; also documents. 98
M. F. Maury to W. B. Preston. Oct. 22 Plan and policy for a Navy in the waters of the Chesapeake. 99
J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Nov. 19 Proposal of, that steamer Fingal be sent back to England with cargo of naval stores and cotton. 105
J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Nov. 25 Reports steamer Fingal In Savannah River ready to receive freight. 107
Navy Department to J. H. North. Nov. 20 Giving instructions about funds to be turned over to Captain Bulloch. 106
John Letcher to Virginia Convention. Nov. 30 Transmits report of captured property at navy yard and Harper's Ferry. 107
Navy Department to J. D. Bulloch. do Instructions in regard to arming steamer Fingal with guns, and disposition of funds on hand to Lieutenant North. 112
R. B. Pegram to J. H. North. do Giving details of repairs needed by Confederate States steamer Nashville, at Southampton, England. 112
Navy Department to J. D. Bulloch. do Ordering Captain Bulloch to take command of steamer Fingal to sail for England shortly. 113
J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Dec. 5 Reports steamer Fingal being ready to sail shortly for England with cargo of cotton and resin. 114
. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. do Reports the sailing of the steamer Fingal from Wassaw Sound to Thunderbolt Battery near Savannah. 118
NAVY DEPARTMENT CORRESPONDENCE FOR 1861--Continued.
No. From and to whom. Date. Subject. Page.
J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Dec. 26 Gives details of the steamer Fingal being held up near Savannah, and the safe return of a boat and party to Skiddaway. 120
J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Jan. 3 Reports no opportunity has offered to get steamer Fingal to sea through the ship channel between Wassaw Island and little Tybee. 123
Navy Department to the President. Jan. 6 Submits a plan for forming a provisional Navy. 124
C. K. Prioleau to J. H. North. Jan. 9 Advises a trip to Liverpool to inspect work being done on his ship. 125
R. Semmes to J. H. North. do Requests Lieutenant North to send him $20,000 for repairs to Confederate States steamer Sumter at Cadiz. 126
Navy Department to War Department. Jan. 10 Concerning seamen in the Army who wish to enter the naval service. 127
Navy Department to J. D. Bulloch. do Orders Bulloch to return to England if Fingal can not run the blockade at an early day. 127
J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Jan. 22 Acknowledges commission as commander in Navy and expresses gratitude for the honor. 134

Notice the card's back note 1/17/1862 vs. 1/22/1862 -- this could be the nominated date is Jan. 17 and approval via CSA Congress on Jan. 22.

M. E. Wolf

Thanks for the reply. My brother and I suspected that the
image is James Dunwoody Bulloch. The forces pulling against us
is that there is a book (and wikipedia site) that shows the 2 Bulloch
Brothers in a war setting. That image shows a bearded man depicted
to be James. Our theory is that your picture is
one of the few images of Bulloch, and that the Tin Type (published photo)
of the Brothers is misidentified (could be Irvine, but
not JDB). If we rules out that image, and use yours we have
a match...

.... we even tried to call Bulloch Hall... nice lady, but no real help!

Marry Xmas
Expired Image Removed
Post war picture of Bulloch.........guess what, your image IS James Dunwoody Bulloch, whose home, Bulloch Hall in Roswell GA, I am currently sitting only about 10 miles from right now. (if that many!) Bulloch did spend a bit of time in NY on his way to England, since he was related by marriage and an uncle to a young lad named Theodore Roosevelt, Jr.

O.R.--SERIES III--VOLUME I [S# 122]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, REPORTS, AND RETURNS OF THE UNION AUTHORITIES FROM NOVEMBER 1, 1860, TO MARCH 31, 1862.(*)--#18
[Inclosure.]
No. 14.] CONSULATE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
London,
July 19, 1861.
Hon. WILLIAM H. SEWARD,
Secretary of State:
SIR: Your dispatch of June 10, covering a dispatch dated May 5, from Mr. Hollis White, notifying me of the suspected visit of Capt. J. D. Bulloch to England, was duly received. This man is here and his movements are observed. He is in frequent counsel with Messrs. Yancey, Huse, Holland, and other Southern agents here. He and Huse went to the Continent yesterday--I understand to Paris.

Thus far I have not been able to learn whether or not any privateer has been fitted out or any vessel secured for such a purpose, though I have been on a constant watch in anticipation of making such a discovery. I incline strongly to the opinion that they are not fitting out any vessel for privateering purposes in these islands. I do not think they are doing much in the way of procuring material aid of any kind for their cause. They are, I now have reason to believe, getting a few Enfield rifles in England, which I think they ship from here to the West Indies or Mexico, and then take their chance of getting them into Texas by the aid of small vessels across to the American coast on the Gulf of Mexico, or on the Atlantic coast of Florida and Georgia.

[excerpt]
A part of the guns he alludes to are no doubt the New York State purchase, made through their agent, Mr. Schuyler, and the 20,000 spoken of must be Colt's contract, the most of which is for gun barrels, locks, and gun mountings, to be put together in the United States. The "mysterious order" I think is from New Orleans. It is for 10,000, or such is the report, and it cannot be completed for six months to come, if it is ever done.

The negotiations of Southern agents for the steamers Victoria and Adelaide are at least suspended, if not entirely abandoned, and the steamer building at Stockton-on-the-Tees for the Charleston house is not yet launched.

Secessionists here are in correspondence with a Mr. Amedee Simonin, commission merchant, New York. May he not be one of their means of communication South?
I have the honor to be, your most obedient servant,
F. H. MORSE.
-----------
O.R.--SERIES IV--VOLUME II [S# 128]
Correspondence, Orders, Reports, And Returns Of The Confederate Authorities, July 1, 1862-December 31, 1863.(*)--#37
6 AVENUE MATIGNON, PARIS, September 15, 1863.
Hon. C. G. MEMMINGER,
Secretary of the Treasury, Richmond:
I have the honor to inclose duplicate of my dispatch(*) of the 4th instant (No. 6), with the copy of a letter(*) from Capt. James D. Bulloch, and a corrected statement of the amount advanced the War Department from the proceeds of the loan. The originals of these papers went by the Halifax and Bermuda route on the 5th instant, but fearing that communications by that route may not now be able to reach you, I send this by the French West India mail, under cover to Maj. C. J. Helm, of Havana.
[excerpt]
With much respect, your obedient servant,
C. J. McRAE,
Agent for the Loan.
Corrected statement of payments made on account of the War Department from proceeds of loan.
£ s. d.
To Major Huse for S. Isaac, Campbell & Co.:
Prior to May 25 90,000 0 0
Subscribed stock 132,224 15 10
Bonds full paid up 135,000 0 0
Cash 100,000 0 0
To pay Colonel Gorgas' account 22,500 0 0
H. O. Brewer (money loaned) 10,251 4 7
489,976 0 5

To Captain Crenshaw by Mr. Mason 55,000 0 0
544,976 0 5
MAY 25, 1863.
[Sub-inclosure No. 2.]
C. S. Navy Department in account with loan of £3,000,000.
DR.
£ s. d.
Mar. 24. To amount paid out of £150,000 advanced on theorder of Mr. Mason and Mr. Spence for
Capt. J. H. North 26,000 0 0
For M. F. Maury 38,962 13 4
For J. D. Bulloch 30,037 6 8
£ s. d.
95,000 0 0
June 20. To Captain Bulloch (l,440,000 francs) .... .... .... 57,600 0 0
June 26. To Capt. J. H. North .... .... .... 30,000 0 0
July 8. To Capt. J. D. Bulloch .... .... .... 13,750 0 0
July 15. To Capt. M. F. Maury .... .... .... 3,000 0 0
July 15. To Capt. M. F. Maury .... .... .... 25,000 0 0
July 25. To Capt. J. D. Bulloch (800,000 francs) .... .... .... 32,000 0 0
Aug. 25. To Capt. J. D. Bulloch .... .... .... 52,000 0 0
Sept. 4. To Capt. J. D. Bulloch (720,000 francs) .... .... .... 28,800 0 0
Sept. 14. To Capt. J. D. Bulloch (800,000 francs) .... .... .... 32,000 0 0
440,500 0 0

CR.
£ s. d.
By Treasury warrants received from Capt. J. D. Bulloch:
Warrant 308291 300,000 0 0
Warrant 250317 26,000 0 0
Warrant 251317 38,962 13 4
364,962 13 4
Balance .... .... .... 75,537 6 8
----------------------------------------
Navy O.R.-- Series II--Volume 2
Contents.
Navy Department to J. D. Bulloch May 9 Order to proceed to England to buy ships. 64

J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Aug. 13 Reports of work in Europe as to the purchase of ships and arms. 83
Navy Department to J. D. Bulloch. Sept. 26 Sets forth the need of arms and ammunition for the Confederate States Navy and equipment for the Confederate States Marine Corps. 95
Navy Department to J. H. North. Sept. 27 Regrets inability to give orders for purchase or construction of ships in Europe. 95
J. D. Bulloch to A. D. Mann. Oct. 3 Reports change of duties in assuming command of a ship to carry valuable cargo to Confederate States. 96
Navy Department to J. D. Bulloch and J. H. North. Oct. 8 Announcing visit of Colonel Ficklen to Great Britain on public business. 97
J. H. North to J. D. Bulloch. Oct. 9 Requests transfer of documents and moneys from Bulloch before his return to the Confederate States. 97
J. D. Bulloch to J. H. North. do Declines to turn over moneys intrusted to him by the Confederate States Government to J. H. North; also documents. 98
M. F. Maury to W. B. Preston. Oct. 22 Plan and policy for a Navy in the waters of the Chesapeake. 99
J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Nov. 19 Proposal of, that steamer Fingal be sent back to England with cargo of naval stores and cotton. 105
J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Nov. 25 Reports steamer Fingal In Savannah River ready to receive freight. 107
Navy Department to J. H. North. Nov. 20 Giving instructions about funds to be turned over to Captain Bulloch. 106
John Letcher to Virginia Convention. Nov. 30 Transmits report of captured property at navy yard and Harper's Ferry. 107
Navy Department to J. D. Bulloch. do Instructions in regard to arming steamer Fingal with guns, and disposition of funds on hand to Lieutenant North. 112
R. B. Pegram to J. H. North. do Giving details of repairs needed by Confederate States steamer Nashville, at Southampton, England. 112
Navy Department to J. D. Bulloch. do Ordering Captain Bulloch to take command of steamer Fingal to sail for England shortly. 113
J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Dec. 5 Reports steamer Fingal being ready to sail shortly for England with cargo of cotton and resin. 114
. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. do Reports the sailing of the steamer Fingal from Wassaw Sound to Thunderbolt Battery near Savannah. 118
NAVY DEPARTMENT CORRESPONDENCE FOR 1861--Continued.
No. From and to whom. Date. Subject. Page.
J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Dec. 26 Gives details of the steamer Fingal being held up near Savannah, and the safe return of a boat and party to Skiddaway. 120
J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Jan. 3 Reports no opportunity has offered to get steamer Fingal to sea through the ship channel between Wassaw Island and little Tybee. 123
Navy Department to the President. Jan. 6 Submits a plan for forming a provisional Navy. 124
C. K. Prioleau to J. H. North. Jan. 9 Advises a trip to Liverpool to inspect work being done on his ship. 125
R. Semmes to J. H. North. do Requests Lieutenant North to send him $20,000 for repairs to Confederate States steamer Sumter at Cadiz. 126
Navy Department to War Department. Jan. 10 Concerning seamen in the Army who wish to enter the naval service. 127
Navy Department to J. D. Bulloch. do Orders Bulloch to return to England if Fingal can not run the blockade at an early day. 127
J. D. Bulloch to Navy Department. Jan. 22 Acknowledges commission as commander in Navy and expresses gratitude for the honor. 134

Notice the card's back note 1/17/1862 vs. 1/22/1862 -- this could be the nominated date is Jan. 17 and approval via CSA Congress on Jan. 22.

M. E. Wolf

M. E. Wolf:

Thanks so much for the historical research! Your posting really opens up the possiblity of this image being JDB. You keyed on one of the dates that could have only been known by himself, or someone close to him ... nomination vs date of rank. The other is his date of birth which we can find as both June 23 and 25....I viewed this early on as a key that is was not faked. A forgery would not have switched the data?

I would love to know who wrote both markings, though... (pencil and ink)....

Thanks.... this is cool stuff!

Chris

Chris Callahan,

Well, I can assure you that rarely did anybody 'print' until much later, circa mid-1900's, to which printing was only found in books and forms. Those to whom learned how to write in the 1840's which would make them around 18 years old by 1861--all wrote 'script'--known as chirography. The ink portion is authentic period writing style, to which the E. R. Mc. is noted. What is 'telling' to me as a serious student of writing in the Civil War military reports, the stroke under the "c" with two dots under it--is very much 1810-1870 "running hand" writing. The reddish tint to it, suggests that it may be "iron gall" ink which was still used but, going out of fashion during the American Civil War. The "lead" pencil marks to which is on the rest of the card doesn't match to period lead that I have in some 1800 circa combination pens I've collected --they would be leaving a very fine and faint line like No. 1 pencils today. People were still in the habit of writing as they would with a dip pen.

It is further my personal opinion, as a student of military chirography, the pencil use would follow the same strokes as if done by a dip pen--meaning, they would long-hand (script) writing with lead in upper strokes, the various letter comparisons show to me that two different people wrote on the back of the card. Block printing (all capital letters) isn't sitting well with me personally.

Have you attempted to identify this gentleman through the U.S. Naval Archives? The CSA Navy personnel would have been collected and might have photographs of the gentleman on file. In addition, there should be a receipt of conformation to include the documentation of his "oath" regardless of CSA/USA Navy--in addition, both services mirrored one another and a 'official register' published on the 1st of January of each year, e.g. Jan. 1, 1865--all the officers from Lt. General to 2nd Lieutenants are listed to include when commissioned and which service; so too this was done in the Navy which would also register the Marines.

As far as the trousers in the boots--officers when on land would either have to rent or be driven in a carriage or, mount a horse from a livery stable and or be furnished by the Quarter-Master Department-- At the outbreak of the ACW the Quarter-Master supplied all arms of the service, the priority being modern Infantry. Navy and Marines were given the less modern/up to date equipment. A Commander's rank wouldn't gain the pomp and circumstance as a Vice-Admiral or Fleet Captain/Commander--so a horse would make sense.

Just some personal observations and opinions.

Chris Callahan,

Well, I can assure you that rarely did anybody 'print' until much later, circa mid-1900's, to which printing was only found in books and forms. Those to whom learned how to write in the 1840's which would make them around 18 years old by 1861--all wrote 'script'--known as chirography. The ink portion is authentic period writing style, to which the E. R. Mc. is noted. What is 'telling' to me as a serious student of writing in the Civil War military reports, the stroke under the "c" with two dots under it--is very much 1810-1870 "running hand" writing. The reddish tint to it, suggests that it may be "iron gall" ink which was still used but, going out of fashion during the American Civil War. The "lead" pencil marks to which is on the rest of the card doesn't match to period lead that I have in some 1800 circa combination pens I've collected --they would be leaving a very fine and faint line like No. 1 pencils today. People were still in the habit of writing as they would with a dip pen.

It is further my personal opinion, as a student of military chirography, the pencil use would follow the same strokes as if done by a dip pen--meaning, they would long-hand (script) writing with lead in upper strokes, the various letter comparisons show to me that two different people wrote on the back of the card. Block printing (all capital letters) isn't sitting well with me personally.

Have you attempted to identify this gentleman through the U.S. Naval Archives? The CSA Navy personnel would have been collected and might have photographs of the gentleman on file. In addition, there should be a receipt of conformation to include the documentation of his "oath" regardless of CSA/USA Navy--in addition, both services mirrored one another and a 'official register' published on the 1st of January of each year, e.g. Jan. 1, 1865--all the officers from Lt. General to 2nd Lieutenants are listed to include when commissioned and which service; so too this was done in the Navy which would also register the Marines.

As far as the trousers in the boots--officers when on land would either have to rent or be driven in a carriage or, mount a horse from a livery stable and or be furnished by the Quarter-Master Department-- At the outbreak of the ACW the Quarter-Master supplied all arms of the service, the priority being modern Infantry. Navy and Marines were given the less modern/up to date equipment. A Commander's rank wouldn't gain the pomp and circumstance as a Vice-Admiral or Fleet Captain/Commander--so a horse would make sense.

M. E. Wolf

Chris Callahan,

M. E. Wolf:
I was actually on the Naval Archives site when your response came in... trying to get more information on uniform regulations, so your advice has been well heeded. I will continue to search both registers. Your explanation on the boots being photographed makes perfect sense. I see this gentleman being at least a Commander. Under magnification, the shoulder straps appear to match that of a Captain. I appreciate the commentary on the pencil strokes. I am still hoping that the word written match the officer in question (James Dunwoody Bulloch), but I am open to the belief that an "E. R. Mc xxxx" exists... Captain or Commander in the USN or CSN. Would you have any explanation on what the ink numbers (204-2330-12/13) signify? All of this reasearch is new (and exciting). Thanks again.

Merry Christmas,

Chris Callahan

Mr. Callahan,

I would like to recommend that you contact:
Todd N. Harrington of Harrington Traveling Photographic Artists
Ambrotypes and Ferrotypes
www.collodianartistry.com

Phone: 540-450-6856 (Believed to be Winchester, Front Royal, Virginia way)

He photographs the old fashioned way and is an authority in my opinion.

The other option is, the U.S. Library of Congress' curator of Mathew Brady's collection. They could possibly have this photo on file also.

M. E. Wolf

P.S.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dunwoody_Bulloch

Notice the chin on the chap with the uniform? Scar? ... Also note the hair--the photograph you have seemingly has a bushy hair verses thin and slick. Then again--might have been between baths (which were infrequent save, for sinking ships ).

Let us look through here also sir...

More Offers:
Photos of Navy Commanders during the Civil War?
Web Results

Mr Wolf:

Thanks for the advice. I visited the Library of Congressv yesterday on a 5 hour Reagan layover. great stuff. I met with a curator and we look at several Brady CDVs (200+). I viewed no officer wearing six star badge on cuff, yet did see one officer wearing riding boots. I still bvelieve the uniform is a weird hybrid, and will continue to research why the epaulet does not match a "Master" rank (1861-1862 regs)... or if a senior rank on the epaulet can be matched with cuff braids Lieutenat Commanding (1861- 1862). I have not yet contacted Tom H. The curator gave me 2 contacts (Smithsonian & National Portrait Gallery).

I now believe the following:
1) Lightly written pencil markings have been erased (which could have included a signature)
2) In block writing (erased) next to "Mc" the letters CREA can be seen under magnification
3) Signature could have been mis identified
4) The red ink signifies someone catalogued (as "E R Mc" vs "E P Mc" after reading illegible signature)
5) Later owner of card could not identify a Naval Officer named ER Mc
6) Later owner using pencil researched James Dunwoody Bulloch
7) CDV no earlier than fall 1860
8) Person may be Edward P McCrea

Please view the images of signature, timeline and photo and let me know if Bulloch or McCrea makes a better fit. Commander McCrea (1871) images shown sitting on left, and Standing with white cloth style hat. Signature shows how a mis "ID" could have occurred.
Thanks in advance,
Chris Callahan

COMMANDER EDWARD P. McCREA.

BoaN in New York. Appointed from Wisconsin, October 16th, 1849 ; at-
tached to sloop Germantown, Home Squadron, 1850-3 ; brig Perry, Coast of
Africa, 1854; Naval Academy, 1855; promoted to Master, September 15th,
1855 ; frigate Congress, Mediterranean Squadron, 1855-6 ; sloop John Adams,
Pacific Squadron, 1856-8; commissioned as Lieutenant, January 24th, 1857 ;
steamer Caledonia, Brazil Squadron and Paraguay Expedition, 1858-9 ; com-
manding steamer Jacob Bell, Potomac flotilla, 1861, and James river flotilla,
1862 ; several engagements with rebel batteries on the Potomac and James
rivers; commissioned as Lieutenant-Commander, July 16th, 1862; steam-
sloop Lancaster, Pacific Squadron, 1862-5; steam-sloop Canandaigua, European
Squadron, 1866-8 ; commissioned as Commander, May 27th, 1868; command-
ing steamer Monocacy, Asiatic Squadron, 1869.
E.P. McCrea.jpg
h66308.jpg
h63684.jpg

Chris Callahan,

Wow...excellent detective work! You would have been a great partner when I was on MPDC.

Wilber6150 does magic with photographs and if he could zoom in on the cuff of the photograph of the person in the white cloth hat as you mentioned, to take a peek at the star formation on the sleeve--it might answer that uniform portion of the question.

I am very comfortable with the sideburns and hair style (way it is wavy and curls) in relationship to the siting at the table portrait where he is partly obscured by the officer standing closest to the fan shape assembly of naval cutlasses affixed to the wood. Salt and Pepper hair and beard but, facial features are very close (again, if Wilber could enhance them both as to compare earlobes and measure skull eye socket, nose and mouth), it would be a good chance you have hit home on the true identity of this Commander.

The bio on McCrea is also pleasing in my mind.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXI [S# 31]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In Northern Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, And Pennsylvania From November 15, 1862, To January 26, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#3
RAPPAHANNOCK RIVER,
Off Port Conway, November 30, 1862.
Major-General PARKE,
Chief of Staff, Army of the Potomac:
GENERAL: Your dispatch of yesterday was received late last evening. I shall remain as long as the commanding general desires. I would state that in consultation with an engineer officer of General Woodbury's staff yesterday, I recommended the crossing point to be at Port Royal or Mill Bank, on a bridge at each, as the most desirable points for joint operations. The points are clear, and can be well covered by my vessels. The hills back from the water can be taken quietly by cavalry, followed by artillery, which will effectually cover the crossing, the gunboats forming the extreme right flank; also one could move down the river as the left was extended, though that would be hardly needed, the right and center being the most important for the time. The co-operation could be perfect at these points; higher up, I am dubious. My pilot approves of these points, and knows the land both sides, and says they are the best for both parties.
I respectfully submit the above.
I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
E. P. McCREA,
Commanding Flotilla.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXI [S# 31]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In Northern Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, And Pennsylvania From November 15, 1862, To January 26, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#3
RAPPAHANNOCK RIVER, December 2, 1862.
Major-General PARKE,
Chief of Staff, Army of the Potomac:
GENERAL: I have heard of a force of the enemy crossing about 15 miles below, and capturing a squadron of our cavalry. I am so crippled for want of coal that I cannot send any vessel away. I think it necessary that more gunboats be ordered to the river. I am anxious regarding the tug I sent for a coal vessel on last Friday morning, and she has not yet returned ; and by your orders I cannot leave this point. I find it necessary to go to Washington at the earliest moment, to arrange for supplies for the flotilla. My second in command, and the gunboats, will remain to your orders until my return. Please forward the inclosed telegram. I will await your answer to this communication.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant
E. P. McCREA,
Commanding Flotilla.
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXV/2 [S# 40]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In Northern Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, And Pennsylvania, From January 26 To June 2, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#4
POTOMAC FLOTILLA, WASHINGTON NAVY-YARD,
Commandant's Office, March 2, 1863.
Hon. GIDEON WELLES,
Secretary of the Navy:
SIR: Lieutenant-Commander McCrea, commanding the lower division of the Potomac Flotilla, reports to me that the conduct of the soldiers stationed there is outrageous; constantly drunk, going 5 and 6 miles for liquor; insulting the wife of the proprietor at the Point, and threatening his life, and that they are without discipline.

The lieutenant colonel of the regiment seems also to object to any interruption of his boats while crossing troops from Piney Point to Point Lookout, but the guard-boat cannot discriminate, as boats with men in Federal uniforms have been afterward ascertained to be manned by rebel spies. The necessity of a pass of some kind is evident. I have inculcated the most entire courtesy toward and hearty co-operation with the army, and regret extremely to find fault, but I have seen a great deal of the conduct of undisciplined troops since the breaking out of the war, and the deplorable effects their treatment of citizens produces.

I requested some time since that a cavalry force should be sent to patrol the shores of the river to prevent contraband trade.

I understand the body of infantry has been sent to the mouth of the Potomac for that purpose; if so, I feel quite sure they would be of little or no service, even if their conduct were good.

I have the honor to be, with great respect, your obedient servant,
A. A. HARWOOD,
Commodore, Commanding Potomac Flotilla.

Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In Northern Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, And Pennsylvania, From January 26 To June 2, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#4

DRUMMONDTOWN, VA.,
March 19, 1863.
Lieut. Col. W. H. CHESEBROUGH,
Assistant Adjutant-General, Eighth Army Corps:
COLONEL: I have received the communication of Commodore Harwood, commanding Potomac Flotilla, referred to me under date of March 14,1863, and respectfully reply that since the date of that letter, namely, the 11th instant, I was at Piney Point, and made particular inquiry as to the conduct of the troops stationed there by my order. The commanding officer represented it as good, and this was confirmed by the proprietor of the hotel, with some trifling exceptions incidental to all troops, whether disciplined or undisciplined, and for which the commanding officer was by no means responsible.

I hope there may be some mistake respecting the objections used by the lieutenant-colonel to uninterrupted passage of boats. I see no objection to the regulations referred to, and should certainly have ordered respect for them, had the subject been named to me. I have also inculcated the most entire courtesy toward the flotilla, and expressed to Lieutenant-Commander McCrea my desire for a hearty co-operation in a field where there is abundant room for the display of the energies of all.

As to the proper treatment of rebellious and disloyal citizens, whether north or south of the Potomac, the commodore will permit me to use my own judgment, under the orders of military superiors, as also as to the quality and disposition of the troops committed to me with orders to break up the very large contraband trade passing through this region between the Patuxent and Potomac, and thence across the latter river, despite the flotilla on duty there. I, too, have had some experience in this business, and, with all due deference for the commodore, must differ as to whether the troops, as now disposed, will or will not be of service.

I now have infantry pickets within sight of each other, along the entire north bank, with patrols connecting them, whilst five companies of cavalry scour the roads lying between the rivers.
I have already captured some 700 letters and some goods, and expect large results from my efforts.
I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
HENRY H. LOCKWOOD,
Brigadier-General.

UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#8
AMP NEAR FALMOUTH, VA,
April 13, 1863.
Lieutenant-Commander MAGAW, Potomac Flotilla:
The major-general commanding directs me to request that you will send two of your gunboats into the Rappahannock River, to come up as far as Port Royal, and farther, if possible. He has reason to believe that the batteries located on the river below Port Royal have been withdrawn. It is desired that your demonstrations shall hold the enemy in that vicinity, and keep them from retiring. If the batteries are there, the purposes for which you go would be favored by exchanging a few shots with them. It is hoped that this movement will be made as speedily as possible. He also desires that you should communicate to Commander McCrea his request that he will have a portion of his fleet ready to convoy a fleet of supplies to the Pamunkey River.

Very respectfully, &c.,
S. WILLIAMS,
Assistant Adjutant-General.
-----
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#9
HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
April 18, 1863.
Hon. E. M. STANTON, Secretary of War:
I am informed by Commander Magaw that three of his gunboats are ordered to Newport News. I desire to know how long these boats will be absent, and also if the fleet under Commander McCrea is still at my disposal for purposes of co-operation.
JOSEPH HOOKER,
Major-General.
-----
WAR DEPARTMENT,
Washington, D.C., April 18, 1863--1.30 p.m.
Major-General HOOKER, Falmouth, Va.:
The appointment of Colonel Paul as brigadier has been ordered, and will be sent to your headquarters to-morrow. The two gunboats were ordered away by the Navy Department in ignorance of your design. The order has been countermanded, and, if you need them, they will be sent back immediately. The fleet under Commander McCrea is at your disposal. Admiral Harwood, at the navy-yard, has also been ordered to co-operate with you, and send you everything of the Potomac fleet that is available.
EDWIN M. STANTON,
Secretary of War.
------

Navy O.R.-- Series I--Volume 4 [S# 4]
Operations On The Potomac And Rappahannock Rivers.
January 5 To December 7, 1861. pp. 601-654

Report of Lieutenant McCrea, U. S. Navy, of having assumed command of the U. S. S. Jacob Bell.
U. S. S. BELL,
Off Aquia Creek, August 22, 1861.
SIR: I have the honor to inform you that I have assumed command of the Jacob Bell, in accordance with the orders of Captain T. T. Craven, commanding Potomac Flotilla, of this date, and I respectfully request that my appointment to the command of this vessel may be approved by the Navy Department.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
E. P. McCREA,
Lieutenant, U. S. Navy.
GIDEON WELLES,
Secretary of the Navy, Washington, D.
---------------
January 5 To December 7, 1861. pp. 601-654
Engagement of U. S. steamers Jacob Bell and Ice Boat (Release) with Confederate batteries at mouth of Potomac Creek, August 23, 1861.
Report of Lieutenant McCrea, U. S. Navy, commanding U. S. S. Jacob Bell.
U. S. S. JACOB BELL,
Off Aquia Creek, August 24, 1861.
SIR: I have the honor to make the following report:
Having heard that there was an encampment of the enemy conspicuous on Potomac Creek, I offered to go in and examine closely the possible strength, by permission of Commander Dove, to report to Commander Goldsborough, of the Union. I got underway with the Resolute and Reliance and proceeded off the creek. After communicating with Commander Goldsborough I stood in with the Resolute, but she drawing too much water I stood in alone. Getting close to the encampment, in 9 feet water, I threw two shells over their tents, which caused them to rally around the colors. At that moment a battery on their left and on the beach opened upon me. I threw several shells at it, when it ceased firing and two batteries of rifled guns opened from the point of the creek. They fired rapidly and all the shots and shells came close, and several passed over, but none struck the vessel. Finding my guns would not reach, I came out of range of the enemy's batteries, when they then engaged the Ice Boat, which had just arrived in position for her rifled gun. No damage sustained by her. At 6:30 I returned to my anchorage here.
EDWARD P. McCREA,
Lieutenant, Commanding.
Captain T. T. CRAVEN,
Commanding Potomac Flotilla.
---------------
January 5 To December 7, 1861. pp. 655-699

Report of Lieutenant McCrea, U. S. Navy, commanding U. S. S. Jacob Bell, of the result of an inspection of the Virginia coast.
U. S. S. JACOB BELL, September 6, 1861.
SIR: In obedience to your order of this date, I made a thorough inspection of the coast of Virginia from opposite the anchorage as far as Indian Head. I saw no batteries, mounted or dismounted guns, and no changes on the said coast. I saw six men near a house on the beach opposite Sandy Point. I communicated with the Penguin, but received no intelligence of any moment.
E. P. McCREA,
Lieutenant, Commanding.
Commander BENJAMIN M. DOVE,
Commanding Second Division, Potomac Flotilla.

(Indian Head, Sandy Point-- is on the Maryland side of the Potomac River)
---------------------
Report of Lieutenant McCrea, U. S. Navy, commanding U. S. S. Jacob Bell, of information obtained regarding batteries at Evansport, Va.
U. S. S. [JACOB] BELL, POTOMAC FLOTILLA,
Off Indian Head, September 24, 1861.
SIR: Considering the following intelligence and report of great and immediate value I send it directly to the Department, the commander in chief being absent down the river some ten hours distant, leaving me senior officer present at this point commanding the division. The following is a copy of my dispatch to the commodore, which I sent immediately to him by a tug:

I proceeded to Indian Head this day at meridian. I took that anchorage to facilitate overhauling vessels, as all vessels were sent to me for examination. As soon as anchored a person came down to the beach in front of Smoot's house. I sent a boat and brought him off. He proved to be Lieutenant [E. A.] Sherburne, of the Arkansas regiment, in the service of the Confederates. I have examined him and gleaned the following: He was a two years' resident of Arkansas, formerly of Wisconsin; his regiment is encamped a short distance back of Evansport; he left the lines yesterday at 3 p.m., and left the Virginia shore at dark, having constructed a raft of wood logs to get across the river. He landed near Budd's Ferry and came up on foot till opposite to my anchorage. He reports erecting heavy batteries at Evans-port and along the connecting shore 1½ miles; four rifled guns and one 64-pounder at Evansport. Lieutenant Simms, formerly U. S. Navy, conducts operations; their object, says Lieutenant Simms, is to get all ready with their batteries, leaving the woods up in front of their works till then, when at night "let fall" and open on the vessels. He says there are 10,000 troops within one and a half hours from Evans-port, General Holmes, brigadier-general commanding; and that the St. Nicholas, steamer, is fitting out at Fredericksburg. He speaks of the men of the Confederates as indifferently supplied with blankets and shoes.

I made a reconnoissance of all the shore near where he mentions the batteries and found his information correct as far as points go, but could not see any guns, though evidently a change since my last scout of the Virginia shore some four days ago. At Freestone Point I observed persons on the hill evidently laying out positions for batteries, and I am informed by some contrabands that 200 men are employed digging at night, and that there are now two guns mounted. The thick chaparral makes it impossible to see anything beyond the front, though I go as close as the draft of my vessel will permit (about 6 feet is the draft). I would inform the Department that I am in no condition for attacking batteries, having carried the deck away forward, which supports my 8-inch shell gun, a month ago while engaged with the batteries at Potomac Creek. I have only 15 working men; the forward gun demands 14, after one 10; but I will go in and attack any battery and fight my guns till they go through the bottom. This vessel has not been at the yard for repairs (or fitting up). She had two guns put on her upon her arrival there from New York, and sent down to tow a lot of launches, to return immediately; that was on the 20th of August. She has been down ever since. No accommodations for officers or men for the coming winter.

I have the honor, sir, to be your obedient servant,
EDWARD P. McCREA,
Lieutenant, Commanding, and Senior Officer Present.
[Hon. GIDEON WELLES,
Secretary of the Navy.]
I sent Lieutenant Sherburn[e] to the commander in chief per tug Herbert.
E. P. McC.

Report of Captain Craven, U. S. Navy, commanding Potomac Flotilla, transmitting report of Lieutenant Norton, U. S. Navy, commanding U. S. ,S. Seminole, giving information regarding battery on Freestone Point.
U. S. S. YANKEE,
Off Point Lookout, September 25, 1861.
SIR: I have the honor to enclose herewith a report from Lieutenant Norton concerning five negroes picked up by one of the boats of the Seminole while crossing the Potomac; also a copy of a report(*) made to me by Lieutenant Commanding McCrea in relation to a supposed refugee from the Confederate Army who calls himself E. A. Sherbourne [Sherburne], lieutenant of the Arkansas regiment.

This Lieutenant Sherbourne [Sherburne] appears to be disposed to give information relative to the movements of the rebels, and, if not a spy, what he relates of their operations may be valuable.
I send him and the negroes to the navy yard to await further instructions from the Department.
THOS. T. CRAVEN,
Hon. GIDEON WELLES,
Secretary of the Navy, Washington, D. C.
------------

Engagement between vessels of the Potomac Flotilla and the Confederate battery at Freestone Point, Va., September 25, 1861.
Report of Commander Gillis, U. S. Navy, commanding U. S. S. Seminole, of the distribution of vessels of the flotilla, and transmitting report of Lieutenant McCrea, U. S. Navy, commanding U. S. S. Jacob Bell.

U. S. STEAM SLOOP SEMINOLE,
Indian Head, Potomac River, September 25, 1861--9 p.m.
SIR: Having returned this evening from near Piney Point, whither I proceeded last night to report to Captain T. T. Craven, in obedience to your order, I respectfully submit to you the report of Lieutenant Commanding McCrea, of transactions occurring during my absence.

I have stationed for the night, in order to prevent the crossing of the rebel forces in boats below this. The Seminole at Indian Head, Jacob Bell at Stump Creek, Valley City near the Six Chimneys, Satellite, north point of Mattawoman, and the Penguin at south point of same creek. The vessels will return at early daylight to this anchorage, when I shall dispose of them as circumstances may require, should Captain Craven not arrive from the lower part of the river. I forward some dispatches from Captain Craven, also five contrabands--four men and one woman--from the Seminole. A refugee, Lieutenant E. A. Sherbourne [Sherburne] of the First Arkansas Regiment, is sent to [the] navy yard by same conveyance. He has information in relation to the rebel force near Evansport.
JNO. P. GILLIS,
Commander.
Hon. GIDEON WELLES,
Secretary Navy, Washington City.

[Enclosure.]
U. S. S. JACOB BELL,
Indian Head, Potomac Ricer, September 25, 1861.
SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report:

This morning about sunrise I discovered men at work digging, etc., at Freestone Point. I got underway at 9:30 a.m. (having satisfied myself that they were making batteries) in company with the Seminole, Lieutenant Norton in charge. I ordered her to follow my motions. We proceeded to Freestone Point, and I went in and fired six shells, dispersing the workmen. Receiving no return of fire I stood out. At that moment the Seminole opened fire with her battery, which was immediately answered from the said point with rifled shots, disclosing the existence of a battery there. The Seminole continued her fire some time, answered continually by the battery on shore. After she fired sufficiently long, in my opinion, I ordered her to cease firing and return to her anchorage. After taking a curve by the nature of the channel, and on standing up the river, she was fired upon by the battery on shore, which she returned; and while passing the Valley City she was informed that a shot from shore had passed through the bows of the said vessel; and not having sufficient steam to make any progress to get out of the reach of the enemy's battery, requested Lieutenant Norton to tow him toward Indian Head, which was done. The enemy's battery continued their fire upon all vessels and steamers passing up and down until 3 p.m. To the best of my judgment there are four guns at said battery, one rifled gun, extreme range, as many of their shots during their firing almost touched the Maryland shore. No one was injured during the action, the officers and men firing deliberately and coolly.
I have the honor to be, your obedient servant,
EDWARD P. McCREA,
Lieutenant, Commanding, U. S. Navy.
Commander JOHN P. GILLIS,
Commanding Division of Potomac Flotilla.
-----

Further report of Lieutenant McCrea, U. S. Navy, commanding U. S. S. Jacob Bell.
U. S. S. JACOB BELL,
At Anchor off Indian Head, Potomac River, September 26, 1861.
SIR: I herewith submit the following report of my attack upon Freestone Point yesterday. I have already written one and forwarded it to Captain [J. P.] Gillis, of the Seminole, who arrived at this point last evening after the affair. Under pressure of time I was unable to keep a copy for you as commander in chief upon your arrival here:
At sunrise yesterday morning I discovered a number of men digging and throwing up earthworks on Freestone Point. After having satisfied myself that they were engaged in erecting batteries on said point, I got underway in company with the Seminole, Lieutenant Norton in charge, and stood close to the point. At about 9:30 a.m., I got close under the point and opened my guns with shell, throwing several among the workmen, dispersing them. After having fired sufficiently long without any return of fire I stood out from underneath the point. At that moment a shot was fired at me from the point. The Seminole also about that time opened her guns upon the discovered battery, planting her shell fairly. After thirty minutes continued firing on both sides, I ordered the Seminole to cease firing and return to her anchorage. The enemy then turned their fire upon the Valley City. The Seminole, by the nature of the channel, could not turn at once, in obedience to my orders, but was obliged to take a curve, which brought her close to the Valley City, when he was informed by Captain Chaplin that a shot had passed through his bows, and not having sufficient steam to get quickly out of the enemy's line of fire, he requested Lieutenant Norton to take him in tow to follow me.

All the vessels of this division, namely, Seminole, Valley City, Penguin, Satellite, Murray, and this vessel, anchored here at about meridian. The enemy continued their fire on all the vessels passing up and down the river until about 3 p.m., when they ceased. I judge from close observation, only three guns were in use and mounted, though they no doubt attempted by their rapid firing to deceive us in the idea that they had more. They are rifled guns and of long range, for I observed many of their shot striking close to the Maryland shore. No one was injured; the officers and men acting deliberately and coolly throughout.

The Murray, in charge of Midshipman McGlensey, took in tow a launch that was anchored in front of the enemy's batteries, which drew fire upon her, but she accomplished it without any injury to herself or those on board.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
EDWARD P. McCREA,
Lieutenant, Commanding, and Senior Commanding Officer
Of this Division During the Engagement.
Captain T. T. CRAVEN,
-----

Excellent information, M.E. I'm sort of tickled it isn't Bulloch--him, we know about. Who's ever heard of McCrea? Although judging from the reports, he was quite competent and seems to have been one of those guys who was everywhere.

Easy to ID now.....if you backtrack with his name.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h66000/h66308l.htm
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h63000/h63683.jpg
http://navalwarfare.blogspot.com/2007/10/uss-monocacy.html
http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-e...navy-and-marine-corps-with-a-histor-869.shtml
http://www.historycentral.com/Navy/cwnavalhistory/September1861.html

U.S.S. Jacob Bell, Lieutenant Edward P. McCrea, and U.S.S. Seminole, Lieutenant Charles S. Norton, engaged Confederate battery at Freestone Point, Virginia.

And is this him as well?
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/lc00001/lc03415.jpg

This name is popping off like fire crackers in my search engine.

It would make sense for him to be photographed around D.C. by anybody, e.g. Gardner, Brady, etc., as he was assigned to the Potomac Flotilla and guarding the waters from the mouth of the Potomac, Mount Vernon, Fort Washington (Md side opposite of Mt. Vernon), Washington Arsenal and the Navy Yard and its docks and hospitals. Seems he was also involved with the support for Burnside's Fredericksburg disaster on land-- I know Falmouth, Virginia was huge port at one time but silt is too much but, its a toss across the river to Fredericksburg.

M. E. Wolf

Back