Need Help Locating Pension File

The book "Marching Home" is mentioned and I've had that sitting in my wish list on Amazon for quite a long while. I will have to get it.

Hi nancyelizabeth, it's been a while but I finally am in the National Archives, wasn't here at all in the month of October. I enquired about Henry Masel & his widow Regina's pension file and got new information, new to me anyhow, let me know if you have tried this. The file may be with Veterans Administration. Apparently you were correct when you said that the absence of the file might be because his widow received benefits up to 1944. I'm hearing now that the Archives only received files that had closed as of a certain date, I think in the 1930's but a date definitely before 1944, but the the VA, which was the agency processing payments, kept all its files that were active as of that date which have never been transferred to NARA, either DC or St. Louis. I leave it up to you whether this is good news or bad, when I hear "Veterans Administration" I think "administrative mess" because of all the problems with current veterans. I have a phone number which looks like the main switchboard (I'm sure they are still using switchboards and operators, aren't you?) but I haven't had the heart to try it yet, will try later in the day. It's 800 827-1000 if you want to call yourself, but I'll try as well. Before you try, look up his V.A. pension payment card and have it on hand in case you actually get to speak to a person who knows anything about these records. Go to www.familysearch.org. click the Search Icon (a magnifying glass over a screen) and then go to Browse the Collections. Where there is a box type in exactly this

United States Veterans Administration

and the rest of the file title should pop up, which is United States Veterans Administration Pension Payment Cards, 1907 -1933 but I've never had to type in the whole thing. When you get a search box type in Henry Masel and you'll see results for two cards. These cards have a back and a front that you would never know about if you didn't already know before using the program.
Bring up the image of Henry Masel's card (either one) and you will see that he is on a half of a card, If you want to capture the image be sure you get his half. Then on the page with that image (where on the page depends on the computer or device you're using) you'll see Image number whatever and arrows on either side, click the arrow on the right and you'll see the reverse of that card which logs payments (this is a very confusing file payment-wise by the way but we don't care about that now, do we?). Remember if his card was at the bottom half of the front side, it will be at the bottom half of the reverse side. Just have this at hand in case they ask for dates (Henry died 10/16,1916, Regina died when 1944? -- look that up).

Note I don't see that XC # number on any of these cards. Have it at hand but I think it's an internal NARA number and the VA won't need it, so don't confuse them.

I'll try the same thing. I don't know where these documents would be located if they do have it. Find that out, if it's somewhere I can get to to save you some money, I will try.

Meanwhile I await Henry's Medical and Service records which I have requested.

@nancy Elizabeth I have photos of Henry Masel's medical file, he was wounded with a V. S. or GSW (both abbreviations for gun shot wound) in the right thigh at Petersburg on March 31, 1865. He was sent 1st to the Regimental Hospital and then on to Campbell General Hospital in Washington DC where he was returned to service May 4 1865, so out of action approximately 5 weeks. There are no other medical records on file. His service record is much longer and I photographed it as well. There is too much here to post it all in a Forum Thread. I'm starting a conversation between us that will appear in your email notifications if you set that up for civilwartalk or as a red flag in your input box so we can discuss methods of sending these ages to you, which would probably have to include a personal email address for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I just saw this now. How exciting to know what happened to him after he was wounded at Five Forks! I've always wondered if he had been able to participate in the Review at Washington and gauging by his discharge date, it sounds like he did despite being wounded. Even just knowing that piece of the puzzle is thrilling. I've wondered about it for years. I'm going to research Campbell General Hospital tomorrow and see what I can learn. Have a blessed Thanksgiving and please know...I am TRULY thankful for you.

Fond Regards,
Nancy

Once again I have visited the National Archives inDC and inquired about the issue of the pension files supposedly inactive at the VA. This time I talked to staffer Dorothy who gave me a slightly different version of events. She said that National Archives was created in 1934 when it received pension files from VA but VA kept active files. So a lot of files remained at VA. Then 2 years ago, all pension files at VA were to be boxed up around their regional offices in the US and sent to a special unit in St. Louis, off-premises from the regular public St. Louis office. A special unit of staff was created to deal with these, and it has taken them a while to go through them. They cannot be reached by phone or email and it is necessary to write to a special PO Box to communicate with them. That address is

National Archives at St Louis
Post Office Box 38757
Saint Louis MO 63138

I was describing your case. Dorothy said nothing should be left at VA except files they couldn't find or just missed in the recent transition. Dorothy advises that you use this St. Louis address and try again, maybe when you made your earlier request, this particular file hadn't been processed yet (ya hope!). I am sending you by email a copy of the pension request I submitted yesterday for Henry Masel and a copy of the rejection, which I suggest you send to St. Louis with your request.

Keep me posted! Dorothy says that VA archives are not all in the DC area, so heaven knows how that search will go if you are still unsuccessful with this new request. For them, there is always resort to the Freedom of Information Act. BTW Dorothy's opinion of the efficiency of the VA in dealing with these matters is the same as everyone's opinion of their efficiency in serving today's veterans -- thumbs down. I have my fingers crossed!

Hi Suzanne,

Happy New Year! I hope your holidays were bright! I picked up a bad chest cold and am still trying to shake it. All the usual meds even prednisone (which I think is finally helping) so I believe that I am finally on the mend. I haven't had a chest cold in several years like this...it's gone on for weeks...so I count myself lucky.

I see you have been busy with Henry. On Monday, I will get a letter out to the address you posted and maybe we will have some luck. I really believe that Regina's file, which she would have used till her death in 1944, has been the reason for the hang up. I've done the FOIA but came up blank. And I guess we are all sadly familiar with the VA and inefficiency. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Again, I appreciate your efforts... truly appreciate. If I ever catch up with Henry, I will do a jig.

Take care,
Nancy

Can someone assist with research on a nurse, Mary Irish Shaw enlisted in the 6th Iowa Infantry? She enlisted with husband Albert T Shaw, surgeon for the regiment. They lived in Ft Madison, IA and his enlistment date is 30 Aug 1861. Mary is on the NPS site. Fold3 has an index card for her, but nothing further that I could find. Have tracked the Shaws post war, with moves to Ark and Mo. Mary died in 1880 and is buried in Stewartsville, DeKalb co, MO.

Have read thru history of the 6th Iowa Inf and found no reference to her. Am curious as to what pay she would have received. Since she died prior to the pension provision covering nurses, there would not be a pension file for her.

Thank you for assistance. If this is not posted in the correct forum, please move.

Back