Need Help finding info about a relative

southern blue

Sergeant
I have been seeing the name 'Zachariah Passmore' show up in my family tree from time to time along with the description that he 'died during the Civil War' but with no further information.

He was born in 1820 in Ashe County NC and he died in 1864. His father was William Passmore of Ashe County NC and his mother was Diane Elliot. His nephew G. Hardin Passmore of Clay County NC was my great grandfather who served with the Thomas Legion. That's all I can find out on my own. If anyone can help me find out more about his service in the war it would be appreciated.

Fold3 has a passel of Passmores from NC, but none named Zachariah (or even beginning with Z). Any other details? He'd have been 41 when NC seceded- not that it prevents him from joining, but it puts him toward the upper end of the spectrum in terms of enlistees...
Here's the records for Hardin Passmore:
hardinpassmore.jpg
hardinpassmore1.jpg
hardinpassmore3.jpg

I have been seeing the name 'Zachariah Passmore' show up in my family tree from time to time along with the description that he 'died during the Civil War' but with no further information.

He was born in 1820 in Ashe County NC and he died in 1864. His father was William Passmore of Ashe County NC and his mother was Diane Elliot. His nephew G. Hardin Passmore of Clay County NC was my great grandfather who served with the Thomas Legion. That's all I can find out on my own. If anyone can help me find out more about his service in the war it would be appreciated.

In Company E (same as your great-grandfather) there's an Elijah, Leander, and Washington Passmore.

Yes they are fast aren't they!

Thanks everyone.

The 1850 census shows him in Ashe with a wife, Sarah. There is an 1860 census entry showing Zachariah in Missouri with 3 children under 10 but no wife.

This looks promising. I'll go chasing after this one.

Found this note on a forum:

Subject: Re: Daughters of Zachariah Passmore
Date: 27 Jan 2005 22:53:15 -0700

This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.

Surnames: PASSMORE, HUNTER
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/5B5.2ACEB/253.1.1

Message Board Post:

HI MARGIE,
IS MARY REBBECA REYNOLDS WAS ZACHARIAH PASSMORE 2ND WIFE? WAS HIS SON NAME WILLIAM WESLEY BORN OCT. 6, 1852 IN LANCASTER, MO? WHAT I UNDERSTAND THAT HIS DAUGHTER NAME IS MARTHA AND SUSAN. THEN THE GIRLS WENT TO ILLINOIS. SINCE WM. WESLEY RUN AWAY FROM HOME WHEN HE WAS 12 OR 13 YRS OLD. AND HE IS MY GREAT GRANDFATHER. IS ZACHARIAH FIRST WIFE NAME SALLY OR SARAH (BURNETT)? WM WESLEY NEVER TOLD US HIS MOTHER NAME, HIS SIBLING OR WHERE THEY COME FROM ORIGINAL. HE SAID HIS DAD DIED IN 1864 IN CIVIL WAR AS I LEARN IN PENNSYLANIA. I DON'T KNOW IF WM. WESLEY IS REAL NAME IS CHARLES OR NOT. HE KEPT SECRET TO HIMSELF TO HIS GRAVE. WM. WESLEY DIED JAN. 21, 1936 IN HUTCHINSON, KS. ANY INFORMATION WILL BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU. I DID WRITE THE SCHULYER CO FOR INFORMATION.
SHERRY

Bold text mine.

No Z Passmore graves in Penn on findagrave, but we know he was with a command that fought in Pennsylvania which somewhat narrows it down. Not that it narrows it down much...

Last edited:
Found this note on a forum:

Subject: Re: Daughters of Zachariah Passmore
Date: 27 Jan 2005 22:53:15 -0700

This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.

Surnames: PASSMORE, HUNTER
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/5B5.2ACEB/253.1.1

Message Board Post:

HI MARGIE,
IS MARY REBBECA REYNOLDS WAS ZACHARIAH PASSMORE 2ND WIFE? WAS HIS SON NAME WILLIAM WESLEY BORN OCT. 6, 1852 IN LANCASTER, MO? WHAT I UNDERSTAND THAT HIS DAUGHTER NAME IS MARTHA AND SUSAN. THEN THE GIRLS WENT TO ILLINOIS. SINCE WM. WESLEY RUN AWAY FROM HOME WHEN HE WAS 12 OR 13 YRS OLD. AND HE IS MY GREAT GRANDFATHER. IS ZACHARIAH FIRST WIFE NAME SALLY OR SARAH (BURNETT)? WM WESLEY NEVER TOLD US HIS MOTHER NAME, HIS SIBLING OR WHERE THEY COME FROM ORIGINAL. HE SAID HIS DAD DIED IN 1864 IN CIVIL WAR AS I LEARN IN PENNSYLANIA. I DON'T KNOW IF WM. WESLEY IS REAL NAME IS CHARLES OR NOT. HE KEPT SECRET TO HIMSELF TO HIS GRAVE. WM. WESLEY DIED JAN. 21, 1936 IN HUTCHINSON, KS. ANY INFORMATION WILL BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU. I DID WRITE THE SCHULYER CO FOR INFORMATION.
SHERRY

Bold text mine.

Thank you. Its a little hard to understand but I'll try and work through it but the thread that he 'died in the Civil War' keeps on going. What CW related anything was happening in PA in 1864?

Thank you. Its a little hard to understand but I'll try and work through it but the thread that he 'died in the Civil War' keeps on going. What CW related anything was happening in PA in 1864?
I'd be more inclined to believe they got the date wrong and he died at Gettysburg than that they got the place wrong. Dates of Civil War deaths are sometimes off by a year on graves I've seen where I knew exactly what battle the person died at, it wouldn't be unusual.

I'd be more inclined to believe they got the date wrong and he died at Gettysburg than that they got the place wrong. Dates of Civil War deaths are sometimes off by a year on graves I've seen where I knew exactly what battle the person died at, it wouldn't be unusual.

Interesting. I did not know that. Weird to think a relative of mine might have died at Gettysburg.

Another possibility is that he died in 1864 and it was ascribed to the Civil War- one of my first Ancestry queries led me to an individual listed as "Died in Civil War". I was totally excited to find this warrior ancestor of mine and learn of his exploits- unfortunately, the more I dug, the less I evidence I found. He wasn't listed in any regimental history I could find, no service record, nothing. Eventually I found that he had been traveling to California and died of fever en route. Hope your search yields better results.

@Shadow9216, what do you think of Fold3? Guess I'll hop over to the ancestry boars as well, I suppose there are some discussions on it! Just joined ancestry.com recently, and wondering if upgrading to get the full suite of fold3, newspapers etc will be worth it.

@Shadow9216, what do you think of Fold3? Guess I'll hop over to the ancestry boars as well, I suppose there are some discussions on it! Just joined ancestry.com recently, and wondering if upgrading to get the full suite of fold3, newspapers etc will be worth it.
I just get fold3 separately. It's a third the cost of the upgrade and since I don't use the other extras that come with the upgrade it works for me. If you have a lot of foreign ancestors in your recent history the upgrade would be more use to you.

Fold3 is less use on modern records than I would have expected - nothing on my father, for example, who was in ww2, Korea, and Vietnam. But very very nice for Civil war service records in the Southern states. Union not so much, most are still index cards.

Also look at familysearch which has free access to a lot of Civil War records such as pension applications.

I just have Fold3, didn't think the newspapers would be all that useful for what I was after.
Allie- they're pretty much restricted by law (as Ancestry is) from providing records on people who may be living, and I think sometimes they extend that to "theoretically living"- I've got some relatives who are deceased, but their records from Vietnam aren't showing up.

Thanks @Shadow9216 and @Allie! Yeah, dredged through some older Fold3 threads which seemed to indicate similar to what you both said. I'd be looking for 2 union soldiers & some WW2 & Korea vets, so looks like I'll pass for now! I'll apply my savings to buying confederate war bonds as suggested by the Campfire discussion going on about investments! :wink:

Another possibility is that he died in 1864 and it was ascribed to the Civil War

I think I found a reason why he might have been in PA. The Passmores were Quakers who originally settled in Pennsylvania. His father and mother were from there so he might have simply been visiting relatives or may have even moved back there for all we know. So far no luck on find a grave or the newspaper archive site.

I've attached an image from Civil War Draft Registration Records from Ancestry.com showing Zachariah in Independence, Missouri. You'll see his name as the third one above the gap in the middle of the page. The record shows Zachariah as a married, white farmer, Virginia as his birthplace and his age as 43 as of July 1, 1863.

32178_620303987_0020-00364.jpg

I've attached an image from Civil War Draft Registration Records from Ancestry.com showing Zachariah in Independence, Missouri. You'll see his name as the third one above the gap in the middle of the page. The record shows Zachariah as a married, white farmer, Virginia as his birthplace and his age as 43 as of July 1, 1863.

View attachment 61833

Thank you. That helps. The only discrepancy is my relative was supposedly born in Ashe County NC but I think that might be pure conjecture on someone's part as that is where his parents finally settled.

Back