Navy to bring up CSS Georgia

I wonder how many ships must be lying on the bottom of rivers in the South. Between what was sunk by enemy action or scuttled for obstacles or to keep it from being captured there must be a few fleets worth down there.

Interesting article ..."captured enemy warship"
The article is a little garbled, but as Confederate government property, C.S.S. Georgia reverted to the U.S. government after the war. Its stewardship is vested with the Underwater Archaeology Branch (UAB) of the Naval History & Heritage Command (NHHC), part of the Department of the Navy. C.S.S. Alabama, although located in French coastal waters, is in a similar situation.

The Navy's Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit (MDSU, or "Mud-Zoo") personnel don't usually do this sort of work, but they are top-notch when it comes to removing heavy bits of shipwreck, and it makes a nice change of pace for them. A Navy Reserve MDSU unit helped do some initial mapping of the Denbigh wreck site in 1998.

Last edited:
The article is a little garbled, but as Confederate government property, C.S.S. Georgia reverted to the U.S. government after the war. Its stewardship is vested with the Underwater Archaeology Branch (UAB) of the Naval History & Heritage Command (NHHC), part of the Department of the Navy. C.S.S. Alabama, although located in French coastal waters, is in a similar situation.

The Navy's Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit (MDSU, or "Mud-Zoo") personnel don't usually do this sort of work, but they are top-notch when it comes to removing heavy bits of shipwreck, and it makes a nice change of pace for them. A Navy Reserve MDSU unit helped do some initial mapping of the Denbigh wreck site in 1998.
I wonder about the law on this. Since the Confederacy was never legally recognized as a government, any and all of its military equipment was and is U.S. government property. I wouldn't think there would be any legal wrangling over it.

Back