1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Naval officer's hat

Discussion in 'Civil War History - The Naval War' started by Capt Coxetter, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Capt Coxetter

Capt Coxetter Cadet

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Confederate naval officer's hat? I'm portraying a privateer, so it need not have any regulation insignia: just needs to be a correct style.:confused:

Capt. Coxetter

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. texascavcadet

texascavcadet Cadet

4. johan_steele

johan_steele Lt. Colonel Retired Moderator

5. samgrant

samgrant Captain Retired Moderator

Did not some naval types wear some sort of straw hat?

6. Capt Coxetter

Capt Coxetter Cadet

But for a Captain impression...

Aye! In fact, William Morrison Robinson's THE CONFEDERATE PRIVATEERS mentions all sort of hats for crew members. But I'm looking for one suitable for a privateering captain.

Capt. Coxetter

7. samgrant

samgrant Captain Retired Moderator

Were not the privateers independant agents, and so would they not wear any hat they felt comfortable with?

8. Capt Coxetter

Capt Coxetter Cadet

Nautical look wanted

Privateers were indeed "independent contractors" rather than Naval personnel, so could have dressed any way they wished. But, trades and occupations do tend to follow customs and practice in their sartorial style. Most privateering officers were probably merchant marine officers before the Conflict started, so would have continued to dress in the fashion - including hats - of merchant officers of their day.

Also, I would like to have on something that grabs passersby with the thought "Oh, that guy's playing some kind of sailor", and a hat is one of the most impression-making parts of any impression.

Though I admit that on a hot and sunny afternoon, a wide-brimmed straw's going to be on my noggin! :laugh1:

Capt. Coxetter

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)