Naval bombardment of Charleston Harbor

NFB22

Sergeant Major
Saw this photo today that I can't recall having ever seeing before. It was labeled as USS New Ironsides and monitors attack Fort Sumter.

Therefore it would have to be sometime in 1863 if the caption was correct. Just thought it was a unique photo.

Charleston1.jpg

Wow, great pic! How differently we all see things. Mr Hall saw and ID'd the ships in the background. The first thing I saw was all the people in the foreground then thought "YOU HAVE BEEN AT WAR FOR 2 YEARS WITH NO END IN SIGHT WHAT ARE YOU DOING HANGING OUT AT THE BEACH GET BACK TO WORK!

Interesting...
USS ALASKA

I wonder what vantage point that photo was taken from...

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
Just a guess here, but if the photo(s) were taken by George Cook and Sumter was the prime target, then I would guess this may have been on 8 April 1863 when Fort Wagner was still under Confederate control and the naval bombardment, under DuPont began- and failed. Pretty sure that is Fort Sumter in the background on the far left of the image. The vantage point of the photographer looks right for a view from Cummings Point (Battery Wagner, Battery Gregg), or possibly Fort Johnson since N.I. is out to sea (couldn't really cross the bar) on the right side. If the image had been taken from Moultrie or one the forts on the north-eastern side of the harbor, then N.I. would have been on the left side of the image (assuming the image isn't reversed).

You can check the maps here...
http://www.battleatcharleston.com/civil-war-map.htm

Expired Image Removed

Last edited:
Just a guess here, but if the photo(s) were taken by George Cook and Sumter was the prime target, then I would guess this may have been on 8 April 1863 when Fort Wagner was still under Confederate control and the naval bombardment, under DuPont began- and failed. Pretty sure that is Fort Sumter in the background on the far left of the image. The vantage point of the photographer looks right for a view from Cummings Point (Battery Wagner, Battery Gregg), or possibly Fort Johnson since N.I. is out to sea (couldn't really cross the bar) on the right side. If the image had been taken from Moultrie or one the forts on the north-eastern side of the harbor, then N.I. would have been on the left side of the image (assuming the image isn't reversed).

From some literature I have it says Cook captured his photo from Fort Sumter on September 9. The morning after the unsuccessful raid carried out on the fort and as the navy resumed its bombardment.

From some literature I have it says Cook captured his photo from Fort Sumter on September 9. The morning after the unsuccessful raid carried out on the fort and as the navy resumed its bombardment.
Ah, I would not have guessed this was FROM Ft. Sumter. If that is the case, then there was a really healthy beach there in the past, with a large relief of sand that looks to be about 2 m (6 ft) or more. Very surprising.

Ah, I would not have guessed this was FROM Ft. Sumter. If that is the case, then there was a really healthy beach there in the past, with a large relief of sand that looks to be about 2 m (6 ft) or more. Very surprising.

The second one I posted I mean that shows just the 3 vessels. The first one I'd guess was taken from the Union point of view somewhere on Morris Island after the fall of Wagner.

Back