My Heart Always Points South

I sometimes get irritated at the South and roll my eyes at some of the things that go on here but I also came home after ten years of wandering around seeing how the rest of the world lives. Some of it I liked...some I couldn't wait to get away from. There were places where I could have stayed and adjusted and been content but in the end I knew I would always wind up back here.

It helped that my Air Force brat never really had a 'real' home husband decided that THIS was where he wanted to live after his first visit.

Having been born and raised in the Philadelphia area I am no Southerner but I have close relatives who moved south into the Carolinas some time ago while others moved out to the West Coast (and some of us stayed right here). From my many, many visits to the South I think I could very readily enjoy living there. Some of my hobbies and pursuits seem odd, if not downright dangerous, to my Northern neighbors, while in the South they seem quite normal, even respected. I really like the close interpersonal relations I have experienced while visiting Dixie. I like the region and its people. The US would be so much the poorer in character and charm and warmth had the recent unpleasantness deprived the Union of the Southern people.

Not to disparage another region of the US, but when visiting my West Coast family I find a distance, coolness and aloofness, even a harshness, that makes my visits there not quite so pleasant. I can very much understand why a person born and raised in the South would regret having to move elsewhere and would want to return there. IMHO, if one's goal is to enjoy this life, the South is the place to do it.

Having been born and raised in the Philadelphia area I am no Southerner but I have close relatives who moved south into the Carolinas some time ago while others moved out to the West Coast (and some of us stayed right here). From my many, many visits to the South I think I could very readily enjoy living there. Some of my hobbies and pursuits seem odd, if not downright dangerous, to my Northern neighbors, while in the South they seem quite normal, even respected. I really like the close interpersonal relations I have experienced while visiting Dixie. I like the region and its people. The US would be so much the poorer in character and charm and warmth had the recent unpleasantness deprived the Union of the Southern people.

Not to disparage another region of the US, but when visiting my West Coast family I find a distance, coolness and aloofness, even a harshness, that makes my visits there not quite so pleasant. I can very much understand why a person born and raised in the South would regret having to move elsewhere and would want to return there. IMHO, if one's goal is to enjoy this life, the South is the place to do it.

Thank you very much!

This story reminds me of myself. I consider myself a strange mixture, both of ideals and sentiment. It's caused a lot of inner turmoil throughout my life but in the end, I think I find a good balance of all things.
I am pretty liberal in most of my views, but have quite a few conservative views as well. I was a Deputy Sheriff, but now do public speaking to change drug laws and end the war on drugs. I'm all for gay marriage, womens rights, and all equality issues. I collect firearms, and legally carry a firearm daily. My family is highly religious, but I'm not. I've lived in Oklahoma most of my life but consider Texas my home.
I am a public speaker for various issues concerning the "war on drugs", one of which is the broad racial disparity in regards to people arrested and incarcerated for drug possession. In most places, blacks are arrested in far higher numbers, despite the fact that whites and blacks consume drugs at more or less the same rate. In this regard, I'm a civil rights public speaker - yet my uncle is seen as being a racist of the most severe form.

I don't think he was - which is what brought me here. There are people here that know far more about my family than I do, and I'm enjoying learning from them. Sorry for droning on so long...

Back