My first in years.

Beltplate53

Corporal
The museum that I work for had a Civil War encampment last weekend. Our museum is complete with a mid 19th century village with interpreters in upstate New York which works well for this. I had stopped reenacting years ago when in the military and had always wanted to come back to it but life had other plans. I did follow my dreams after retiring and started working or volunteering at museums. I had felt that I might have gotten to old to reenact until I went through the encampment and had some great conversations with the soldiers. They were explaining to me about their "progressive" unit and gave me a card with contact information if I was interested. I have my musket and some leather but have to replace my uniform. I have the winter to get my impression together so I've decided to get the best I can afford. NJ Sekela looks like a great place, any other suggestions?

Very nice profile picture @Beltplate53. Congratulations on your decision to rejoin the ranks of reenactors. I feel certain that the hobby and the public will benefit from your participation.

Thanks to all of you. I am in the research phase ( my favorite by the way ) of the private I will be depicting from a New York Volunteers Regiment. A forage cap, sack coat is called for and my biggest expenditure is completed with a Pedersoli M1861 Springfield w/sling. I work for the New York State Historical Association and have access to some great resources. I want to get the most authentic available and will be ready to go to the field this next season. (2016)

It's always good to hold back on investing a lot until you've consulted with the outfit you plan to join. They may have their own standards and preferred vendors, although hopefully you've already found that out. I'm finding that out with my civilian group, too! What I bought to be a "cook/laundress" at Gettysburg doesn't really work for my group out here, in the Pacific Northwest, in which we are "at home" (with tents as substitute for houses) and in "visiting/sewing circle" mode, which calls for something a little bit dressier.

Back