Multi Purpose Trough Rock

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
Most Gettysburg battlefield trompers are familiar with the Trough Rock located in the Slaughter Pen area across from Devil's Den. The origin and purpose of the man made trough continue to be a subject for debate even today. Was it there before the battle? Magnified details from Gardner's July 1863 photographs appear to show the trough as we see it today. Many believe it was to provide a watering source for live stock because of a well known photo showing a horse drinking from the trough. Others say that is not logical because Plum Run is within a few yards of the rock. Garry Adelman and Tim Smith theorize that it was used primarily as a water source for the Mumper/Tipton photo studio that was built right next to the TR in the 1880's. It appears to me that there could be some truth in both theories as shown in the photo below on the left. The ca. 1880's photo shows a horse imbibing at the trough and also includes the wet plate photo studio that may have also relied on the TR as a water source. I will include the blow up of the Gardner photo I referenced above so you can form your own opinion as to whether the trough existed in 1863.
troff stret.jpg

troffs.jpg

My gut tells me that the Alexander Gardner 1863 photo is not the Trough Rock. In the modern day photo you can easily see that the farthest left portion of the trough is just to the right of the rocks apex. But in the 1863 photo, the Trough looks well to the left of the rock apex.

But I have been snookered before by camera angles. What LOC photo did you grab the 1863 blowup from? I looked for a couple minutes but I could not find it.

I have not visited the Trough rock in many years. Devil's Den is a treasure trove for rocks and post battle photography and other rocks get my attention on my visits. But I do recall seeing what appears to be chisel marks on the right side of the Trough depression. There is no doubt the rock has been altered but apparently no one knows when or why.

In Gary Adelman and Tim Smith's Devil's Den A History and Guide book they say that in an 1898 Gettysburg Tour Book, the rock is called "Flowing Rock". With Plum Run so nearby, why you would need a rock to contain water for horses is quite curious. Maybe it is Mumper or Tipton's doing for their photography studio.

I fly fish in Pennsylvania a lot. I have seen many rocks along streams that have depressions that hold water. But they tend to get algae growing in them along with mosquito larvae. So I understand why you would want flowing water to flush out that stuff.

Fortunately there are so many other battle mysteries that push the Trough Rock mystery down my priority list. But it is interesting question. Thanks for posting it.

Rats! We missed another one, boys! (@Frums, @War Horse , @PeterT ) I am thinking that some day I would like a book that just has pictures, names, and all the befores and afters featuring the rocks :smile: Again, I had never heard of this particular rock, @Gettysburg Greg
There will be other opportunities :smile:

Gee whiz! We're gonna hafta gather in Gettysburg even if it is just to hang out at the trough!!!

We can put some margaritas in the Trough, then hike up to the Devil's Kitchen for some munchies!

You guys earn the double honour of my first laughs of the day!! I want a Rock Guide so that I can just run from rock to rock patting them :smile:

There is a very prominent sideways V in the rock in the Now photo. The upper branch of that V with its jaggedness is visible in the Then photo. The two photos appear to be at slightly different angles. It would help if the vegetation was removed from the top of the Now rock. Is the rock to the upper left in the Then photo there in the Now photo? I think they are probably the same rock.

My gut tells me that the Alexander Gardner 1863 photo is not the Trough Rock. In the modern day photo you can easily see that the farthest left portion of the trough is just to the right of the rocks apex. But in the 1863 photo, the Trough looks well to the left of the rock apex.

But I have been snookered before by camera angles. What LOC photo did you grab the 1863 blowup from? I looked for a couple minutes but I could not find it.

I have not visited the Trough rock in many years. Devil's Den is a treasure trove for rocks and post battle photography and other rocks get my attention on my visits. But I do recall seeing what appears to be chisel marks on the right side of the Trough depression. There is no doubt the rock has been altered but apparently no one knows when or why.

In Gary Adelman and Tim Smith's Devil's Den A History and Guide book they say that in an 1898 Gettysburg Tour Book, the rock is called "Flowing Rock". With Plum Run so nearby, why you would need a rock to contain water for horses is quite curious. Maybe it is Mumper or Tipton's doing for their photography studio.

I fly fish in Pennsylvania a lot. I have seen many rocks along streams that have depressions that hold water. But they tend to get algae growing in them along with mosquito larvae. So I understand why you would want flowing water to flush out that stuff.

Fortunately there are so many other battle mysteries that push the Trough Rock mystery down my priority list. But it is interesting question. Thanks for posting it.
Thanks for your input Walleyfish. You have a good eye, but I must differ with you regarding the TR in Gardner's photo. The TR is today right across from the footbridge which matches up with the arrows I have added to the larger view of the 1863 image. The top arrow marks the high point of the TR and the lower arrow shows where the foot bridge is now next to the smiling rock I pointed out in a previous post with the dead body next to it. I see your point regarding the left edge of the trough appearing different between the photos. I believe that can b explained by the fact that I took the modern shot from right in front on the rock while Gardner's camera position was farther to the right which would make the appearance of the edge of the trough farther left. Make sense? Check out the attached pic and see if I have changed your opinion. Thanks for comments.
tr to crop.jpg

As I said, I have been snookered by camera angles before. That is the wide angle shot I wanted to see and it does look appropriate for the Trough Rock. The only other thing that concerns me is the now rock stratification runs downward from left to right. While very difficult to tell from the then photo, the stratification looks like it runs downward from right to left. I started my collegiate career as a geology major and I still look at those things, but the then photo is so fuzzy that makes that a moot point. Igneous rocks are typically not found in Pa and Devil's Den is not only a Civil War must see, but the rocks of Devil's Den is also a must see for wannabe geologists.

I swiped the pic below from the web as I don't have one from that angle. Again the photo below does support your position. It looks like the then photo was taken a bit southeast of the photo below.

Your find on your original post is very worthy and most probably correct. Very cool!

IMG_0080.JPG

Last edited:
Igneous rocks are typically not found in Pa and Devil's Den is not only a Civil War must see, but the rocks of Devil's Den is also a must see for wannabe geologists.

Amateur, wannabe geologist, here! I kept asking everyone at the gathering: what is the glacial history of this area?? There has to have been movement here, as some of these rocks look like erratics!

Yours truly,

Rock Geek

Never thought I would be talking about glacial eratics here. So very cool. To my knowledge the Wisconsin Ice sheet never made it that far south to Gettysburg. I have a place on Chautauqua Lake in western NY and they do have glacial eratics in the Buffalo area. Glacial impact in southern Pa was primarily focused on erosion from the glacial melting runoff.

The NPS actually has a decent little write up on the Geology of Gettysburg. It can be found here.
https://www.nps.gov/gett/learn/nature/geologicformations.htm

I have not read the file below in years, but it is an interesting read on the Battle of Gettysburg and the Geology of Gettysburg. Note this reading is for geologist and Geology wannabes, lots of detail. FYI, my uncle was a geologist for a utility company. I thought he had a cool job. The college I went to through grants with US Steel, Columbia University and the Colorado Shool of mines had a great Geology program but they dropped it after my freshman year. So I became an accounting/economics major.

You would love riding with me to Gettysburg. I point out Anticlines and Synclines to my wife on roadbed cuts. I go crazy around Harrisburg pointing out water gaps. Better shut myself up, probably boring everyone.

http://fcopg.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/73rd2008.pdf

Edit, spent a couple hours rereading the above Geology/Gettysburg piece. If you have no interest in Geology, then don't go there. But if you have an interest in Geology and its role on the battle, then it is an interesting read. We have all read about Pickett's famous post battle quote, but only this piece could add a geological spin to it.

Years after the Battle of Gettysburg, retired CSA generals were frequently asked why “the cause” was lost at Gettysburg. General Pickett is reported to have provided the slyest answer: “I have always been of the opinion that the Yankees had something to do with it.” Perhaps the York Haven Diabase did, too.

Last edited:
Never thought I would be talking about glacial eratics here. So very cool.

Eratics! Terminal Moraines, Lateral Moraines, Bergschrunds, Franciscan & Salinian rock formations -- bring it on, baby!

Up until my recent obsession took hold, most of my vacations were geologically driven: Yosemite for thee best ancient glacial road show, Bodega Bay for plate tectonics, Southern Sierra for active glacial study....I have skied, hiked, and mountain climbed to view these jewels. :nerd::nerd:

Thanks for the reading WF, I certainly enjoy it...everyone else can wake up: rock show over :smile:

Funny stuff Bee. Back in the late 1970's, I had a cat named Pangaea!

Too bad there wasn't CW battles fought in Yellowstone or Hawaii, you may never leave the those fields.

Reactions: Bee
I want to ride around with you guys. I love geology....I even have a book called "Roadside Geology of New Mexico" I used to carry along .... so I could read stuff to Neal as we--yeppers--drove through roadside cuts on our vacations out there. I also have a very large rock collection somewhere in storage. Wish I knew where.

Maybe my Powers stonemason relative went across the road and carved out a piece for a headstone! :smile:

Back