1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Movie mess-ups

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by ghostchaser, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ghostchaser

ghostchaser Private

I'm sure there are thousands that I have missed, so let's hear some oppinions on the worst movie mess-ups.
    "Gangs of New York" comes to my mind. While I like the movie, there are those poor souls who believe it is a true story. It is very loosely (at best) based on actual events.
    The real butcher died years before the Draft Riot.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Poole

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Rob9641

Rob9641 Captain Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

I'm not sure what you mean by a "movie mess-up."

4. ghostchaser

ghostchaser Private

When a "historic" movie is not accurate. Just looking for some of the best examples, or most annoying.

5. prroh

prroh Captain

Santa Fe Trail or They Die With Their Boots On has to be in the running for the least accurate movie based on historical events.

6. Rob9641

Rob9641 Captain Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

Any historical fiction - and historical commercial movies are usually fiction - is going to contain some inaccuracies - otherwise it wouldn't be fiction. Let's take "Gettysburg/The Killer Angels." Tons of people believe every conversation in that book really happened that way, despite Schaara's prelude saying character interpretation was his own. Is that the mess-up of the movie/book, or of the viewer/reader?

Take "Glory." I guarantee you that the Mass boys didn't pause at the top of the wall for a dramatic camera shot before they charged into the fort - they poured right over. That's an inaccuracy, but it's part of the fiction.

I don't see these things as "movie mess-ups" so much as people not knowing what fiction is, and that's a basic omission in education.

(Sorry for all this - you hit a nerve in me. I don't like a lot of inaccuracy either, but only when I'm dealing with what purports to be a documentary - in fiction it doesn't bother me as much. But yeah, if you showed me a film with a guy in Arab robes leading the 20th Maine, I'd be annoyed, too. Degree of inaccuracy is important, too.)

7. ghostchaser

ghostchaser Private

I understand what you are saying, Rob. Didn't mean to "hit a nerve", I actually intended it to be a fun thread.

8. K Hale

K Hale Colonel Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

It's OK to change small things for reasons of dramatic impact, or to tell a more coherent story. If it goes beyond that, then it gets into the "alternate history" or "alternate universe" genre (i.e., John Wayne's The Alamo).

What is the one where Stuart and Custer are buddies in some fort in the west before the Civil War? That's so far beyond reality that it is well into alt-U.

9. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

I actually "use" They Died With Their Boots On in history class. Unfortunately, most of the "history" kids come to my class with is based on movies and tv. So we use that one and all the interminable gunfights at the O.K. Corral to show them just how much leeway Hollywood takes with history. I'm a particular fan of the tire tracks in the grass ahead of the cavalry when Custer's making his charge at the Little Bighorn. :smile: He shoulda listened to his scouts--those Sioux had VEHICLES......

10. johan_steele

johan_steele Lt. Colonel Retired Moderator

Gangs of NY... full of really bad mess ups. From the Chinese prostitues (there were almost no Chinese in NY at the time) to the horrid portrayal of US soldiers in the film. The troops brought in to quell the riots were veterans like the 1st MN VI who had just fought at Gettysburg and they were anything but amused, cheesed off doesn't even begin to touch how angry they were.

11. TerryB

TerryB Captain

Nor was the city subjected to naval bombardment. That was way over the top.

12. kholland

kholland Brigadier General Moderator Trivia Game Winner Forum Host

This is a small one but my wife and I just watched "Gone With The Wind" again and toward the end of the movie Rhett walks out onto the front porch and one of the columns starts swaying. I totally agree that "They Died With Their Boots On" is one of the least accurate historical flicks going.

13. Nathanb1

But....there is NO better stop than Errol Flynn's when he tops that hill and sees his little surprise.....I've seen a lot of horses stop. That's the bomb. (Not topped even by Tom Selleck in Monte Walsh or Tommy Lee Jones in Lonesome Dove).....

And I adore Olivia de Havilland and Hattie McDaniel. Those two could act circles around just about everybody.....

The plot, unfortunately......and I'm a scenery nut....sorry, that's the back lot, not Virginia. :smile:

14. Mosin

Mosin Sergeant Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

Also, in the movie when the 54th are making their charge the water is in the left and the fort is on the right is innacurate. In reality it was opposite the water on the right and fort on their left.
    I know, that's getting pretty finicky but it is a movie mess up.

Mosin

15. Nathanb1

Well, how about in one scene the sun's coming from one direction....and then it's not....and then it is.

16. K Hale

Annual Winner

I take it this was filmed on the west coast? :smile:

17. Nathanb1

Near Dallas?

18. K Hale

Annual Winner

West coast of the Trinity River.

19. Karen Lips

Karen Lips Sergeant Major

As far as I am concerned one of the biggest movie mess ups of all time is Bonnie and Clyde. This movie plays them up to be folk heros and romanticized them and what they did. People rejoiced when the law finally took them down.

20. Nathanb1

That's where the gators are.

21. K Hale

Annual Winner

So I hear! What's needed is a reliable gator wrestler.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)