Most Underrated General

Jamieva, if you want to show us that there are many underrated Union generals(what I don't doubt), pick some of them and inform us. Don't just criticize me on picking Confederate generals.
Civil War Scholar.

Maybe you should pick some Confederate generals who are actually underrated. You've chosen Dorsey Pender (once of the best brigade commanders of the war), James Archer and Harry Hays (two very good brigade commanders by all accounts). Not to mention that you have never shown how these men were underrated.

R

Maybe you should pick some Confederate generals who are actually underrated. You've chosen Dorsey Pender (once of the best brigade commanders of the war), James Archer and Harry Hays (two very good brigade commanders by all accounts). Not to mention that you have never shown how these men were underrated.

R
A presentation of their military records is better than a verbal message trying to explain why they are underrated. The records tell you what these generals did during the war, how they behaved in combat, how did they lead their men. Moreover, why should I comply with your definition of the word? I have told you, pick the generals you consider underrated and post their military records or tell us why and how they are underrated in every way you like.
Thank you,
Civil War Scholar.

A presentation of their military records is better than a verbal message trying to explain why they are underrated. The records tell you what these generals did during the war, how they behaved in combat, how did they lead their men. Moreover, why should I comply with your definition of the word? I have told you, pick the generals you consider underrated and post their military records or tell us why and how they are underrated in every way you like.
Thank you,
Civil War Scholar.

But you are not demonstrating how they are underrated. Even using your own definition. All you are illustrating is their record with no attempt to discuss how they aren't appreciated as you think they should be.

R

. . . so we can learn how someone is underrated by not explaining how they're not given credit for their accomplishments.

That makes no sense whatsoever.
But you are not demonstrating how they are underrated. Even using your own definition. All you are illustrating is their record with no attempt to discuss how they aren't appreciated as you think they should be.

R
I have noticed that the two posters criticizing the manner I make my posts in this thread have two things in common when posting in it:
a)they criticize the fact that I don't focus on how the generals I pick are underrated and
b)they are equally "guilty" as far as the previous statement is concerned.
Civil War Scholar.

a) Well, yes, we kind of expect to see how someone is underrated when talking about if someone is underrated or not. This is not a particularly strange concept.

b) Where do you see me referring to someone as underrated and not explaining why?

a) Well, yes, we kind of expect to see how someone is underrated when talking about if someone is underrated or not. This is not a particularly strange concept.

b) Where do you see me referring to someone as underrated and not explaining why?
a)The definition of the word varies from person to person. For example, for me underrated is the one who is largely forgotten while he has a worthy military record that is good to post and remind people on him.
b) Look at your post about R.H. Anderson. I didn't see an explanation on how he is underrated.
Civil War Scholar.

I have noticed that the two posters criticizing the manner I make my posts in this thread have two things in common when posting in it:
a)they criticize the fact that I don't focus on how the generals I pick are underrated and
Civil War Scholar.

I have offered no general on this thread as underrated so you may want to redirect your criticism elsewhere.

R

Civil War Scholar.
Theres a difference between someone being underrated or being just not widely known

a)The definition of the word varies from person to person. For example, for me underrated is the one who is largely forgotten while he has a worthy military record that is good to post and remind people on him.
Civil War Scholar.

How are they forgotten? Anyone who knows anything about the Army of Northern Virginia knows about James Archer and Harry Hays.

R

Largely forgotten by who?

The general public? By that logic we have hundreds of underrated generals. That waters the definition down so much as to render it meaningless.

Historians/students of history? How many authors do you want me to show who acknowledge them when their role merits acknowledgement?

This forum in particular? What makes you think Early is forgotten? Or Pender? Or Barksdale? Or any of the other generals you have named?

b) Look at your post about R.H. Anderson. I didn't see an explanation on how he is underrated.
Civil War Scholar.

Let's read that post again a little more carefully, shall we?

So. Someone I don't personally think is underrated, but I do want to throw out to see how others feel:

http://www.rocemabra.com/~roger/tagg/generals/general58.html
This guy.

I think he was solid and reliable as a division commander, and his record as a corps commander doesn't seem too bad - but I don't think he's been denied credit for anything he did right or given excessive criticism for what he didn't.

But that's me. I might be missing something.

I mentioned Anderson in the vain hope that someone else - perhaps you, perhaps rpkennedy, perhaps some other user - who did think Anderson is underrated would comment on how they think I'm wrong about him getting credit for what he did right or excessive criticism for what he did wrong.

I don't regard him as an underrated general or unfairly overlooked like Greene. Others might feel he deserves to be on the top ranks of the ANV's division commanders.

TIME OUT!

All generals are underrated or overrated.

The OP asked for the most underrated general. We don't need a litany of all underrated generals. One post per member, please. One vote for the one general most underrated.

Geez!

Thank you, ole. This is symptomatic of the incessant tit for tat that is making this forum increasingly tiresome. At least, I find it that way and am visiting here much less often. Duels over semantics or competition to see who can amass the most quotes to support an argument. Discussion suffers.

Thank you, ole. This is symptomatic of the incessant tit for tat that is making this forum increasingly tiresome. At least, I find it that way and am visiting here much less often. Duels over semantics or competition to see who can amass the most quotes to support an argument. Discussion suffers.
Don't give up on us 6th. Things turn around eventually.

Cream rises to the top as does pond scum.

There is no dislike button. You can like a post and then click "Unlike", but the poster may just not see it.
Civil War Scholar.

And most important, folks, you can utilize that report feature if you're just sick to death of being led off topic and think someone is not following the rules. Or pm a moderator or even civilwartalk. That's how changes get made.

I'm pretty tired right now, so I'll bow out for the afternoon.

One of the greatly underrated Confederate generals is Isaac Ridgeway Trimble, a son of Maryland. Apart from being a Confederate general, he had also been a railroad executive.
In 1861, when Maryland was asking herself if she should secede or not, Trimble, a secessionist to the bone, participated in efforts to stop movements of Yankee troops through Maryland by burning bridges. After the Baltimore Riot and the proclamation of martial law by Benjamin F. "Beast" Butler, Trimble went to Virginia, where he could still exercise his rights as a free man.
In early August, 1861, he was appointed Brigadier General in the Confederate States Army.
His first combat service in the war came throughout the brilliant Valley Campaign by the good and great Stonewall Jackson. At the Battle of Cross Keys, Trimble outflanked successive Federal attacks by John C. "the Pathfinder" Fremont. During the Seven Days, he saw little action, distinguishing himself at Gaines' Mill and Malvern Hill.
He again fought valiantly at Cedar Mountain and forced a Yankee brigade back during the skirmishes near Rappahannock Station. During General Jackson's operations at Manassas Junction, he occupied a Federal depot and captured four trains and their passengers, including a US congressman, inflicting 500 casualties to the Yankees and suffering only 4. At the Battle of Second Manassas, he was severely wounded in his leg.
Although his medical condition was severe, he wanted to do his duty in the battlefield and told Stonewall Jackson "Before this war ends, I intend to be a Major General or a corpse!"
In early 1863, he was given the promotion, but was too sick to command his division at Chancellorsville and, when General Lee reorganized the Army of Northern Virginia, his command was given to Edward "Allegheny" Johnson. General Ewell finally took Trimble as a staffer.
At the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg, Trimble suggested General Ewell exploit the advantage he had gained by smashing the Yankees, but Ewell rudely told him: "When I need advice by a junior officer I generally ask it." And the advantage was not pressed, losing a golden opportunity for Lee's army.
On the third day of Gettysburg, Trimble took part in Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble charge, known as Pickett's Charge in popular culture. He was wounded at the very same leg he had been wounded at Second Manassas and it had to be amputated. Moreover, for fear of infection, he was left behind in the care of a Gettysburg family.
This was the end of his military career. He spent more than one year in Johnson's Island, a harsh Yankee prison. Though he was recommended for exchange, Simon Cameron said he was dangerous due to his knowledge of northern railroads. After the surrender at Appomattox, Trimble was paroled in Lynchburg, Virginia.

View attachment 44945
General Isaac Ridgeway Trimble, CSA, I salute you!
Civil War Scholar.
This post is one of the reasons people on here don't take you seriously. You are plainly misinformed and have no idea of what happened in the Civil War. There are those here that egg you on but I have to think even those idiots would see that you are a complete nut. No offense intended but facts are facts. I didn't believe that life exisited on Mars till I encountered you.

This post is one of the reasons people on here don't take you seriously. You are plainly misinformed and have no idea of what happened in the Civil War. There are those here that egg you on but I have to think even those idiots would see that you are a complete nut. No offense intended but facts are facts. I didn't believe that life exisited on Mars till I encountered you.
What are you trying to say, tmh10? You utter a lot of not so flattering words for me, but I saw not a word dealing with what I wrote. If I have done a factual error, tell me. If you object the fact that I pick Confederate generals, I tell you: "Pick the generals you consider as underrated and write their records. but let the other posters pick theirs". If their is another objection, send a message describing it.
Civil War Scholar.

Back