More Era Newspaper Ads, Ladies Shopping Temptations

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Have a few more saved as they are encountered- must admit frequently it is pictures attached which draw me in. All are between 1861 through 1865, LoC .

addd1.JPG
addd2.JPG
addd3.JPG
addd4.JPG
addd5.JPG

I can't remember if this was posted- saved it forever ago, can't remember if I posted it It's a horrible advertisement- even as long ago as this ad surely it was at least suspected tobacco caused all kinds of problems.. Was this a spoof ad?
Since the ad is obviously British and probably very late 19th century, I'd start by checking what casket meant at that time and place, rather than assuming the whole world used the American meaning.

Have a few more saved as they are encountered- must admit frequently it is pictures attached which draw me in. All are between 1861 through 1865, LoC .

View attachment 78979 View attachment 78980 View attachment 78981 View attachment 78982 View attachment 78983

What fun these were to read! The one that amused me the most was "Roback's Stomach Bitters" which apparently is a tonic, stimulant (which I took to mean a laxative in today's terms) and appetizer (which was a most curious choice of words!). Upon reading until the very end of the ad it mentions it stimulates a healthy appetite & not digestion - oops! ;-)

The illustration for John Dages' shoe ad seems kind of inspired. The image of shoes as railroad cars is just peculiar enough to be memorable, and it conveys the idea of new styles steaming in now by the newest, speediest transportation to the readers' own city from fashionable cities in the East. "Mad Men" might have studied ads like this one.

Back