Modified 12-pdr. breech-loading Whitworth

tmh10

Major
Anybody know how many of these were used and how well they performed?

02499v.jpg

Richmond, Virginia. Federal soldier guarding cannon. (Modified 12-pdr. breech-loading Whitworth).
CREATED/PUBLISHED
1865 Apr.
NOTES
Two plates form left (LC-B811-3156A) and right (LC-B811-3156B) halves of a stereograph pair.
Forms part of Civil War glass negative collection (Library of Congress).

The Federals used a battery sent with the siege train in the Peninsula Campaign. They saw service at Malvern Hill. After that they apparently didn't see any further Federal service.

The Confederacy used a number of them and in some various calibers. Most were of the 12 pdr breech loading variety. E.P. Alexander spoke of having six of these and one smaller six pdr muzzle loader "in the army." I suppose that means the ANV?

They were used at some coastal forts to keep Union gunboats at bay, a service for which they could be well posted to use their long reach.

While extremely accurate and despite the advantage that they could be used for sharpshooting and dismounting enemy guns, they had drawbacks:
1. The extra range could rarely be employed on the battlefield--no modern optics and fire direction.
2. They were expensive--and so was the ammo. This created another logistical challenge.
3. The breech mechanism frequently required repair--fortunately the breechloaders could be fired as muzzle loaders as well.
4. The tubes were heavier and longer than other light rifled field artillery.
5. The English carriages were cumbersome and not sturdy enough.
6. As shell the power charge was too small to be effective.
7. The drill for firing them was non-standard.

The Federals used a battery sent with the siege train in the Peninsula Campaign. They saw service at Malvern Hill. After that they apparently didn't see any further Federal service.

The Confederacy used a number of them and in some various calibers. Most were of the 12 pdr breech loading variety. E.P. Alexander spoke of having six of these and one smaller six pdr muzzle loader "in the army." I suppose that means the ANV?

They were used at some coastal forts to keep Union gunboats at bay, a service for which they could be well posted to use their long reach.

While extremely accurate and despite the advantage that they could be used for sharpshooting and dismounting enemy guns, they had drawbacks:
1. The extra range could rarely be employed on the battlefield--no modern optics and fire direction.
2. They were expensive--and so was the ammo. This created another logistical challenge.
3. The breech mechanism frequently required repair--fortunately the breechloaders could be fired as muzzle loaders as well.
4. The tubes were heavier and longer than other light rifled field artillery.
5. The English carriages were cumbersome and not sturdy enough.
6. As shell the power charge was too small to be effective.
7. The drill for firing them was non-standard.
Thanks Red Harvest, you answered a lot of my questions.

Imported from England, only 7... 12lb breech loaded rifled barrels were in use in the civil war..range of 4.5 miles...Confederacy liked these tubes....5... 12lb muzzle loaded whitworths used in the civil war..Modified version came out in 1865..

Are you certain of the numbers? Reference I have (Hazlett, Olmstead, Parks) states those numbers "are known
in the United States" which leaves me scratching my head since that phrase is one the authors typically reserved for survivors, but they don't have an appendix tabulating Whitworths as they do for nearly every other. Ripley's book says the 6 field pieces donated to the U.S. in 1861 were breech loaders. And CSA's Gen. E.P. Alexander states that "six breech loading twelve pounder Whitworths were distributed through the army" Assuming both references are correct that would put breech loaders alone at 12 pieces minimum.

Are you certain of the numbers? Reference I have (Hazlett, Olmstead, Parks) states those numbers "are known
in the United States" which leaves me scratching my head since that phrase is one the authors typically reserved for survivors, but they don't have an appendix tabulating Whitworths as they do for nearly every other. Ripley's book says the 6 field pieces donated to the U.S. in 1861 were breech loaders. And CSA's Gen. E.P. Alexander states that "six breech loading twelve pounder Whitworths were distributed through the army" Assuming both references are correct that would put breech loaders alone at 12 pieces minumum.

I obtained the information from a site through Bing..Sometimes information Varies so your info may be correct????

I obtained the information from a site through Bing..Sometimes information Varies so your info may be correct????

Thanks for replying. I thought you might have something authorative (such as a source that used Whitworth's records of shipments to pin it down.) I honestly don't know the answer; this wasn't a "gotcha." If I'm wrong or quoting bad sources I want someone to correct me so that others aren't misled. (I don't mind being proven wrong so much as being wrong and nobody correcting it because that is just bad history.) I'm as perplexed about the actual numbers as the next guy. I'm not even going to try to go into the "modified" part as I'm not sure what that modification entails. Maybe someone will come along to set the record straight for the rest of us.

Keep in mind that breech loading Whitworths could and were used as muzzle loaders when there was trouble with the breech lock. This was a design feature. Perhaps this had something to with the characterization?

And of course we haven't discussed the larger Whitworths (70 or 80 pdrs) used during the war...not very successfully. Fortunately, some of these are recorded.

There are two Whitworths on display near the Peace Monument in Gettysburg. At the time of the battle there was a battery of four. This battery had the range to join in the bombardment of Cemetery Hill on day 3.

Grierson had to abandon a Grierson which was recovered from local militia a year later.

I read an account where my great grandfather’s battery (Co.E, 40th regiment/ 3rd NC artillery)used a Whitworth while protecting a blockade runner entering the old inlet of Fort Cashwell. The concussion from an incoming shell, exploding nearby, temporarily dismounted the gun, but fortunately no one was hurt and the gun was back in service as soon as help arrived to re-mount it.

GG Grandfather John M. Carlisle -- Chaplain 7th SC Inf.GG Uncle James H. Carlisle-- signer of the South Carolina Ordinance of SecessionG Grandfather Nathaniel L. McCormick—Private, Battery E, 40th [3rd] N C Artillery G Grandfather Thomas M. Bolton – Private, Co. G 19th Va. Inf.G Uncle Dougald McCormick--Private Co. D 46th NC Inf.G Uncle Duncan McCormick – Private, NC Home GuardG Uncle John Alexander McCormick –1st Sgt, Co. B 6th Ms Inf.G Uncle Murdoch McCormick—Private, Ms Home GuardG Uncle James W. Bolton – Private, Co. B (Rives) Nelson Light Artillery (Va.), 1864 Co. G, 19th Va. Inf.G Uncle Albert G. Bolton – Private, Co. F 27th Va. Inf.G Uncle Alexander H. Bolton – Private, Co. D 7th Va. Inf.G Uncle Lindsey C. Bolton – Private, Co. B. 1st Va. ReservesG Uncle Thomas D. Boone – Captain,. Co. F 1st NC Inf. G. Uncle James D. Boone -- Quartermaster sergeant, Co. F 1st NC Inf. G Uncle John W. Boone -- Private, Co. D 59th (4th Cav.) NC, 1st NC Inf. Co. FG Uncle Peter Lindsey Breeden—Captain, Co. E, 4th SC Cav.G Uncle A.J. Breeden – Private, Co. E. 4th SC Cav.Cousins –Daniel McKinnon, Luther McKinnon, John N. McKinnon, McKay McKinnon, Murdoch McKinnon -- all privates in Company E 40th (3rd) NC artillery [heavy]

CSA dropped using the field piece and the precisely tooled "bolts" were beyond CSA capabilities.

CSA dropped using the field piece and the precisely tooled "bolts" were beyond CSA capabilities.

I don't know if they stopped using the piece or not. Is there a reference for that? (Note also that the battery at Gettysburg only contained two Whitworths according to the various references I've checked. The CSA often employed highly mixed four gun batteries, three different types of pieces was not uncommon.)

I do know that the CSA successfully made ammunition for the Whitworths. They didn't do precision machining and had seams, but were considered a success in service. In May of 1863 Col. Josiah Gorgas of the Confederate Ordnance Dept. stated, "The Whitworth shells, fabricated at Richmond, are a decided success, they did admirable execution." Still the special ammunition often ran short.

While many references comment about the Whitworth's inherently narrow powder cavity and therefore inadequate burst charge for case and shell, Austrian observer FitzGerald Ross stated in July, 1863, "Spherical case (shell filled with musket-balls) is the most successful projectile they use."

Back