Missouri Blackberry Custard Pie, a Delta Queen Dish

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
There is a new cook book out, "The Delta Queen Cookbook" by Cynthia Jeune Nobles of Baton Rouge, La. Our paper just had review of it. I can't wait to get it.

The book tells the story of the beautiful riverboat, the Delta Queen, its galley, crew, passengers over the years, and brings them to life with recipes served on the boat.

The Delta Queen was built in 1927 anf went through many owners and places it docked. It is most remembered in Cincinnati, Ohio when the Greenes ran excursions and long trips from Cincinnatl on the Ohio and the Mississippi Rivers.

It left Cincinnati in 2008 and has been docked in Chattanooga, Tn. after Congress did not renew a special waiver to a law requiring all boats to have steel hulls. The boat still brings vivid memories for many. During its 80 years, it served countless, excellent meals prepared by its chefs. This book has many of these recipes.

Missouri Blackberry Custard Pie is one of the great recipes.

1 unbaked pie shell
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
4 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups milk, scalded
1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries, rinsed and well-drained
freshly grated nutmeg

Prepare pie shell and put in freezer while making filing.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees .
In medium bowl, beat together sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla, salt and almond extract. Add milk and whip gently with a wire whisk until blended.

Place berries in pie shell. Pour custard over berries and sprinkle liberally with nutmeg. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 1 hour at room temperature, then chill thoroughly.

The food on the Delta Queen was inspired by the river-boating days of the 1800s, when boats found they could entice passengers with "groaning boards" and elaborate, lengthy menus. Enjoy and think of yesterdays.

This sounds really good! I've never made a custard before for a pie. The scalded milk is a little scary to me! I remember my Nanny scalding milk for various recipes.

We are fortunate to have both black raspberries and wild blackberries growing on our farm. This year they produced like sixty! Nice big plump berries. My better half decided to bake a couple of blackberry cobblers. The first was her usual peach cobbler recipe and it was outstanding. The second was an old timey recipe that included lemon juice. It wasn't near as good as the old standby and we threw it out. Have to say that we more than got our fill of berries this summer.

This sounds really good! I've never made a custard before for a pie. The scalded milk is a little scary to me! I remember my Nanny scalding milk for various recipes.

I was a little uncertain about the scalded milk too, @AshleyMel. I'd seen it as an ingredient in recipes before but had never made any. Thanks to this video from AllRecipes.com, my experiment worked!

Back