Mill Pond at Culps Hill...Important Factor or Not??

I was able to identify the precise spot, I think, at which I was wounded on Culp’s Hill; the blacksmith shop, which was my first hospital, and, of course, the creek, over which I was carried in the arms of a stalwart Confederate soldier, who bore me off as if I had been a mere child.

I wanted to note he was taken over a creek to get off Culp's hill....

I found Ewell's Gettysburg report no mention of the pond and not much on the attempted takings of Culp's hill either.

http://www.civilwarhome.com/ewell.html

LRT is not minor in the battle but that's a debate for another discussion.

I would like to see some works that show that the mill pond was truly something that changed the confederate plans. It prevented them from moving via the flank on culps hill but was this out of plan or not? With no mention of it from the southern side that's hard to determine.

I've been collecting primary source materials on the battle since 1990 and have yet to find any mention of the mill pond. It might have been different if the "Stonewall" brigade of Virginians had not been kept back from the evening assault of Culp's Hill on July 2, because had they extended the left flank of the division, they likely would have encountered the mill pond.

If you can find it online or on dvd, check out The History channel series, Battlefield Detectives, Season 2 Episode 9, The Civil War: Gettysburg.
In one segment of the show they discuss, look for, and find McAllister's mill pond.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002O18APU/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

63rd Regiment Irish Brigade.jpg

Respectfully,
William

I've been collecting primary source materials on the battle since 1990 and have yet to find any mention of the mill pond.

I getting the impression that Ewell and his generals never thought of flanking the hill. If this thought is true then I must ask: why was the notion of flanking the hill never addressed?

If you can find it online or on dvd, check out The History channel series, Battlefield Detectives, Season 2 Episode 9, The Civil War: Gettysburg.
In one segment of the show they discuss, look for, and find McAllister's mill pond.

Here is a link to a website where you can watch the episode referenced in my original post. The mill pond portion begins at approximately the 27 minute mark. Also it is season 2 episode 7, not 9 as I had stated.

http://tvgo.xfinity.com/watch/Battl...472863299534/The-Civil-War:-Gettysburg/videos

I have read generals E. Johnson, J. Early, and James Walker OR's at Gettysburg and not one mentions the water hazard at Culp's Hill... It looks like they are writing these reports at the end of August and covers everything from July through August but not one mention of the water at the base of the hill or the Mill pond.... Maybe once the decision not to flank the hill was made it was a none factor... When was that decision made?

Trice or anyone,

This Mill Pond was around the base of Culps Hill if I understand it right. It stills means the confederate soldiers still had to wade through the pond to get to Culps Hill. I argue if you have to wade through the pond anyway, you might as well flank the union position on Culps Hill. I know Rock creek is related to this issue but the picture I have seen of the creek. It seems the confederate soldiers could have easily navigated across it( I could be wrong).

I was not there back in 1863 but it seems this Mill Pond played a bigger roll then history gives it credit for. The pond may have looks more like a marsh or swamp back then. It seems they still had to wade through the pond np matter what so why not flank the union position then take it head on.

Why do historians ignore this pond??? Was it a factor or not in the confederates defeat?
The NPS had a brochure called The Sentinel from 2011 which had a map of the mill pond .

Ole,

I knew all the answers to your examples....I would like to bring up the fact the 20th Maine was fully rested but barely beat and exhausted Alabama regiment on that July day in 1863....Think what would have happen if the Alabama boys had not been exhausted when it hit the 20th Maine? I do not think Chamberlain would have become the "hero of Gettysburg".

The Mill Pond needs some more light shined upon it. I need a map that shows exactly where the pond was located in relation to Culps Hill and the battle for the hill and around it? I have not found a map...Does anyone knows where a map of this pond is?

The NPS had a brochure called the Sentinel from 2011 which has a map of the mill pond. The 48 page brochure is on line. I've been looking for a map of the Mill Pond for years, too .

One reason from what the LBG discuss is the missing post battle reports of Xll General Slocum. Of all the Medal of Honor s awarded at Gettysburg not one was awarded from fighting at Culps Hill. Meade was not pleased with Slocum with his lack of reports one reason the Xll was transferred west to Sherman at Chattanooga.

Back