Military Picnic with the ladies

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
IMG_1057.JPG

Found this interesting picnic scene photograph from the era on Pinterest. It looks as though the young lady on the right traded hats with the gentleman on the far left. Not sure when this was taken or where, but if I'm not mistaken is the gentleman on the far right in a West Point cadet uniform? There's mountains in the background so I wonder if was taken in the upstate New York area. Regardless I thought it was a lovely photography with character to it and wanted to share it.

Last edited by a moderator:
"On the far right is seated a West Point cadet, Thomas Ward. Commissioned a second lieutenant in the U.S. Artillery in 1863, Ward went on to distinguish himself in the Overland Campaign of 1864. His commander, Gen. James H. Wilson, recognized him 'for bravery of the highest degree, zeal and good management, during the entire service with me and particularly during the rapid and exhausting marches and fights incidental to operations against the South Side and Danville railroad, known as 'Wilson's Raid,' June 21 to July 1, 1864.' Ward served in the regular army and ended his service as a general. He died in 1926."

From Ronald Coddington's collection.

View attachment 100704
Found this interesting picnic scene photograph from the era on Pinterest. It looks as though the young lady on the right traded hats with the gentleman on the far left. Not sure when this was taken or where, but if I'm not mistaken is the gentleman on the far right in a West Point cadet uniform? There's mountains in the background so I wonder if was taken in the upstate New York area. Regardless I thought it was a lovely photography with character to it and wanted to share it.
I'm glad you shared it with us. This is the first time I've seen it. My first thought about the young man was also that he is wearing a cadet uniform--from which school I couldn't say. It could certainly be West Point.

Back