Uniforms Michigan Cavalry uniforms.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
With Eric Wittenberg hosting the Civil War Cavalry forum I thought I might welcome the forum by posting a plate of cavalry uniforms from my home state of Michigan. This is an older plate, but does not do too bad of job of showing the Michigan Cavalry in standard federal cavalry uniforms. But what about the odd uniform the man on the right is wearing with all the button. He also wears a red scarf/tie. It appears that the jacket does not button except at the top with the little flap. Any other thoughts on the uniforms?
mi ca 5.jpg

This is some information about real Michigan Cavalry uniforms. Some of the uniforms issued to Michigan Calvary in 1861 were made in Detroit.

Frederick Todd claimed in his book American Military Equipage 1851-1872 volume II that all Michigan cavalry formations wore U.S. supplied all Michigan cavalry uniforms, but the uniforms came from different locations. For example the 1st Michigan Volunteer Cavalry Regiment received uniforms made in Cincinnati. A discussion on the 1st Michigan Cavalry appears in Cavalry section.

After the 1st Michigan Cavalry Regiment there are indications that some of the Michigan cavalry uniforms were made in Michigan. Samuel Sykes & Company (Detroit) manufactured some of the Michigan cavalry regiment’s mounted jackets starting with the 2nd Michigan Volunteer Cavalry Regiment. Sykes & Company (Detroit) supplied 2,280 jackets and overcoats for the 2nd Michigan Cavalry a.k.a. Kellogg’s Cavalry Regiment.[ii] Three early war photographs of this regiment show that the jackets made by Sykes were likely very similar to federal issues cavalry jackets. All of the mounted jackets seen in period photographs of Michigan cavalrymen appear to be in the style of the normal federal issue mounted jackets.[iii] Some Michigan cavalrymen wore mounted jackets with a shorter collar with but one line of false button hole trim. Although it is possible that jackets with short collars were issued, it is also possible that the men in the photographs had their collars shortened. Although these uniforms were made in Michigan it appears that the federal government paid for them. This uniform is described as dark blue pants without trimming of any kind, jackets or roundabouts of the same material trimmed with yellow: Black wool or felt hat with a “heap” of brass fixings on them and a black feather on the left side and the right side looped up. They were also issued a blue fatigue cap an a navy blue long skirted overcoats with over capes.[iv]

Besides the mounted jackets, Michigan cavalrymen were photographed wearing other types of jackets and coats. In some of the photographs show Michigan cavalrymen wearing dark blue nine-button jackets. It is not certain if these are infantry roundabouts acquired by a few cavalrymen or if nine-button jackets were issued to cavalry regiments. There are no known photographs of Michigan cavalryman wearing the state issued infantry five-button sack coat. There are photographs showing Michigan cavalrymen wearing federal style sack coats.

Before the end of 1861federal government probably took over the task of supplying Michigan regiments with cavalry uniforms made in other cities. Once the federal government took over it would appear that the federal government issued the normal army mounted pattern uniforms to the remaining Michigan cavalry regiments. Where the federal supplied cavalry uniforms came from is not known and it should be noted that the federal government had over 11,868 uniforms made in Michigan and some of these could have been cavalry uniforms.

Sykes & Company not only supplied the jackets to the 2nd Michigan Volunteer Cavalry Regiment but also supplied that regiment’s trousers. In some photographs the trousers appear to be very dark, in fact much darker than the jackets.

Horses for the early cavalry regiments were purchased in Michigan. Saddles and other horse equipment were made in Michigan. Cullen Brown (Detroit), Duncan & Brothers (Detroit) and perhaps others were supplying saddles to the state at this time. The type of saddles issued to the Michigan cavalry regiments is not known.

Todd, Frederick P., American Military Equipage 1851to 1872 volume II State Force, Chatham Square Press Inc., 1983, p. 919.

[ii] “Military Affairs in the State”, Detroit Daily Tribune morning ed., October 28 1861, p. 2, col. 2.

[iii] There is some indication that the collars on some Michigan cavalry jackets had only one laced false buttonhole.

[iv] Our Army Correspondence, Camp Anderson Grand Rapids, October 29th 1861, signed Satin, Van Buren County Press, p. 2, col. 2.

Kellogg’s 2nd Michigan Volunteer Cavalry Regiment nicknamed the Revolving Devils was mustered into federal service on October 2 1861 in Grand Rapids Michigan. They were formed under the direction of The Secretary of War under Representative Francis William Kellogg. .William C. Davis of Detroit became the colonel. Uniforms were to be of blue army cloth with yellow trimming. They indeed did receive blue uniforms trimmed in yellow.[ii] Although some reports have them receiving these uniforms, it was also reported that Samuel Sykes & Company manufactured their overcoats, jackets and pants. Messars Samuel Sykes & Co. of this city have just entered into a contract to supply 2,280 suits of clothes consisting of jackets, pants and overcoats for Kellogg’s Cavalry Regiments.[iii] Due to the numbers it is obvious the Sykes contract was for not only Kellogg’s Cavalry Regiment, but also another Cavalry Regiment as well. It is also reported that Jas. McGrath (Detroit) was to make their uniforms. “Mr. Jas, McGrath of this city has received the contracts for furnishing the uniforms for Colonel Kellogg’s Cavalry Regiment.” [iv]

M. B. Kean made up the officer’s uniforms from costly material. They exact style of these uniforms is not reported on.

Their canteens, mess pans, camp kettles and camp chests were made by Tafft & Company (Detroit). Their saddles were made by either Cullen Brown which shipped 1,200 to Grand Rapids at about the time this regiment was forming or by Duncan & Brothers which was also supplying saddles to the state at this time. The first item of uniform they received were regulation hats which were worn before their uniforms arrived.

A photograph of Thaddeus Southworth shows a dark twelve-button jacket with standing collar. In the photograph, it is difficult to see if the jacket had any sleeve trim or sleeve buttons. He wears shoulder scales on his shoulders. The trousers are very dark (darker than the jacket and perhaps they were black). The trousers may not be reinforced on the inside. He wears a dark kepi. He is armed with a saber, revolver (Manhattan Pocket Model) and a Colt Revolving Rifle. The photograph of Southworth was taken before August 1862 when Southworth was discharged.

They received the same worthless green and gray blankets as the 14th Infantry Regiment. They reportedly were first issued Colt revolving rifles, Colt Navy revolvers and sabers.

It is possibly the twelve-button jacket had these, but they can not be seen.

“Kellogg’s Cavalry Regiment”, Detroit Daily Tribune morning ed., September 1 1861, p.1, col. 1.

[ii] “Kellogg’s Regiment”, Detroit Daily Tribune morning ed., September 13 1861, p.1, col. 1.

[iii] “Contracts for Army Clothing”, Detroit Daily Tribune morning ed., November 1 1861, p. 1. col. 3.

[iv] “Contracts Awarded”, Detroit Daily Tribune, September 20 1861, p. 1, col. 2.

Very interesting Major Bill. I wonder if the artillery uniforms worn by Daniel's 9th Michigan Battery were similar to the Michigan cavalry uniforms, being that the 9th was horse artillery or "flying artillery." At Gettysburg, the 9th Battery was fresh after departing from Detroit in August 1862, seeing action at Aldie VA prior to arriving at Gettysburg. Are there any artistic depictions of Michigan artillery uniforms within your collections? This pic attached may/may not be how they appeared during the course of the War 5617790728_ef1005408a_z.jpg My ancestor was a sgt. in rank at the time the Battery took part in the repulse of Pickett's charge July 3rd 1863.

In the fall of 1861 the federal government took over supply unfirms to units forming in Michigan. they shipped uniform's in or had Detroit merchant tailors make uniforms. Michigan Artillery units form as late as Daniels' Battery probably wore exact copies of federal issued uniforms. he is an article from the Hudson newspaper. Fifteen dead horses? A shell must have landed near the horses. The Expositor also printed a short article about Daniel's Battery the week before which covered much the same topic. Daniels came from a well known local Hudson family. I can see what was printed in the Detroit newspapers, but I know I sent some one copies from Detroit newspapers and it was very little more than where the battery was serving.

danny.jpg

Great article, it mentions my gg grandfather by name as "Sergeant Church," also that of "Corporal Haas." Researching a link on all that served in the Battery during the course of the War, it says that by the end of the War, Haas was 1rst Lt.; Church was a 2nd Lt. In my avatar Church is shown seated at right, to the left of him is another 2nd Lt. Of the three officers shown standing, the guy on the left is a 1rst Lt., the guy in the middle is a Capt. (I believe to be Luther R. Smith) and the guy to the right of Smith is another 1rst Lt. So I'm thinking Haas is one of the 1rst Lts. standing. As mentioned previously this picture was probably taken sometime in early 1865 in TN after the Battery returned from the Atlanta Campaign.

Back in 2004, Richard Bak published a book entitled "A Distant Thunder Michigan in the Civil War": Huron River Press, Ann Arbor MI. The forward to the book is by Jeff Daniels. It's a nice little "coffee table book" as Bak told me he referred it to. Prior to the publication, Bak was searching CW websites for pics of Michigan soldiers to be included in his book. One site was "Civil War Mysteries" that featured long ago photos that people posted in hopes of identifying the image in question. I had posted mine in my attempt to identify the other officers of my submission aside from my gg grandfather. The only reply I ever got was from Bak, who asked me for permission to use my image in his upcoming book. I said sure, just give me credit for the pic and send me 3 autographed copies, one for myself and one each for my brother and sister. He came through on his promise, along with a nice thank you letter to me in my copy. My pic is shown on page 130 in chapter five, "Iron Men." On page 240, he lists my name in the illustration credits.

It's a neat little book for anyone that has a particular interest in Michigan troops during the CW. His book reads very well and the stories/reflections and pics really add to it. Hope you have a copy of it!!

I mis-spelled "Haas," should have been "Hass." Sorry about that. Daniel's official report from the OR reads as follows, note attached images I got from Don Harvey back in 2002 (the host of the Civil War Mysteries website)img20170118_21581376 (2).jpg img20170118_21571556 (2).jpg , please excuse my handwriting.

Also the brief history of the Battery from "Michigan in the War" scanned from my original copy compiled by Jno. Robertson, revised edition, Lansing, W. S. George & Co. State Printers and Binders, 1882. And yes this book is the 1882 copy, it's that oldimg20170118_21591410 (2).jpg img20170118_22001512 (2).jpg Hass, Church and Daniels were all from the little town of Hudson.

Last edited:
With Eric Wittenberg hosting the Civil War Cavalry forum I thought I might welcome the forum by posting a plate of cavalry uniforms from my home state of Michigan. This is an older plate, but does not do too bad of job of showing the Michigan Cavalry in standard federal cavalry uniforms. But what about the odd uniform the man on the right is wearing with all the button. He also wears a red scarf/tie. It appears that the jacket does not button except at the top with the little flap. Any other thoughts on the uniforms?
View attachment 120627
Brigade Forage Master was a position that went back to the revolution in terms of providing not only forage to the brigade animals, but transportation of that forage. The position was not limited to cav, but was also employed for an infantry brigade as they had animals that needed to be fed. The position largely morphed into the Quarter Master Sgt position and most Forage Masters were noncoms. The uniform in question is not germane to the occupation, but an artist's liberal interpretation or copy of a photograph. The tab at the collar is simply a button stretcher, which were used in the 19th century when one gained a little weight. They are seen in period photographs and I assume there was an attachment to the garment, maybe superstitious that they were able to get through so far without serious harm and felt it a type of talisman. As an enlistedman/noncom, the forage master had regular clothing issues.

Back