Meade's appointment to command of the AoP before Gettysburg

W. Richardson

Captain
1593346403266.jpeg

In the early morning hours of June 28, 1863, a messenger arrived to inform Meade of his appointment as Hooker's replacement. Meade was taken by surprise and thought he was being arrested.

What was his reason for thinking he was being arrested ? I don't recall anything wrong he had done that warranted being arrested.

Respectfully,

William

Last edited by a moderator:
In the early morning hours of June 28, 1863, a messenger arrived to inform Meade of his appointment as Hooker's replacement. Meade was taken by surprise and thought he was being arrested.

What was his reason for thinking he was being arrested ? I don't recall anything wrong he had done that warranted being arrested.

Respectfully,

William

I think that it was more that he was being awoken at such an hour instead of any specific infraction.

R

Respectfully,

William

Knowing of Meade's easygoing personality and pleasant demeanor I find it difficult to imagine such a thing. :D

Extract from a letter from George G. Meade to his wife after the Battle of Chancellorsville as published in The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade: Major-general United States Army, Volume 1, pages 377 - 378.

To Mrs. George G. Meade:
Camp near Falmouth, Va., May 19, 1863.​

I am sorry to tell you I am at open war with Hooker. He yesterday came to see me and referred to an article in the Herald, stating that four of his corps commanders were opposed to the withdrawal of the army. He said this was not so, and that Reynolds and myself had determined him to withdraw. I expressed the utmost surprise at this statement; when he said that I had expressed the opinion that it was impracticable to withdraw the army, and therefore I had favored an advance, and as he knew it was perfectly practicable to withdraw, he did not consider my opinion as being in favor of an advance. I replied to him that this was a very ingenious way of stating what I had said; that my opinion was clear and emphatic for an advance; that I had gone so far as to say that I would not be governed by any consideration regarding the safety of Washington, for I thought that argument had paralyzed this army too long. I further said that if the enemy were considered so strong that the safety of the army might be jeopardized in attacking them, then I considered a withdrawal impracticable without running greater risk of destroying the army than by advancing, and that it seemed rather singular that he should set me down as the advocate of a measure which he acknowledged I asserted to be impracticable. He reiterated his opinion and said he should proclaim it. I answered I should deny it, and should call on those who were present to testify as to whether he or I was right. The fact is, he now finds he has committed a grave error, which at the time he was prepared to assume the responsibility of, but now desires to cast it off on to the shoulders of others; but I rather think he will find himself mistaken. At any rate, the entente cordiale is destroyed between us, and I don't regret it, as it makes me more independent and free. I also told him that it was my impression at the time, but that of course it could only be known to himself and his God, that he had made up his mind to withdraw the army before he had heard the opinions of his corps commanders. To this he did not make any reply, and I am satisfied that such was the case. I have not seen Reynolds, or any of the others present on the occasion, since I had this conversation with him, but I intend to address each a letter and ask for their impressions of what I did say. Such things are very painful and embarrassing, but I have always feared the time would come when they would be inevitable with Hooker; for I knew no one would be permitted to stand in his way. I suppose he has heard some of the stories flying round camp in regard to my having the command, and these, in connection with what George Cadwalader told him Governor Curtin said, have induced him to believe that I am maneuvering to get him relieved, that I may step in his shoes. God knows the injustice he does me, and that I have never spoken a word to any one except Governor Curtin, and to him I never referred to Hooker's being relieved, but only criticised his recent operations, saying nothing more, or if as much, as I have written to you. I can tell him that if he had no stronger enemy than I am, he might rest much more secure than he can, knowing all that I do. I wish he could hear what some others say; he would look on me very differently. ********​

Knowing of Meade's easygoing personality and pleasant demeanor I find it difficult to imagine such a thing. :D

Extract from a letter from George G. Meade to his wife after the Battle of Chancellorsville as published in The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade: Major-general United States Army, Volume 1, pages 377 - 378.

To Mrs. George G. Meade:

I am sorry to tell you I am at open war with Hooker. He yesterday came to see me and referred to an article in the Herald, stating that four of his corps commanders were opposed to the withdrawal of the army. He said this was not so, and that Reynolds and myself had determined him to withdraw. I expressed the utmost surprise at this statement; when he said that I had expressed the opinion that it was impracticable to withdraw the army, and therefore I had favored an advance, and as he knew it was perfectly practicable to withdraw, he did not consider my opinion as being in favor of an advance. I replied to him that this was a very ingenious way of stating what I had said; that my opinion was clear and emphatic for an advance; that I had gone so far as to say that I would not be governed by any consideration regarding the safety of Washington, for I thought that argument had paralyzed this army too long. I further said that if the enemy were considered so strong that the safety of the army might be jeopardized in attacking them, then I considered a withdrawal impracticable without running greater risk of destroying the army than by advancing, and that it seemed rather singular that he should set me down as the advocate of a measure which he acknowledged I asserted to be impracticable. He reiterated his opinion and said he should proclaim it. I answered I should deny it, and should call on those who were present to testify as to whether he or I was right. The fact is, he now finds he has committed a grave error, which at the time he was prepared to assume the responsibility of, but now desires to cast it off on to the shoulders of others; but I rather think he will find himself mistaken. At any rate, the entente cordiale is destroyed between us, and I don't regret it, as it makes me more independent and free. I also told him that it was my impression at the time, but that of course it could only be known to himself and his God, that he had made up his mind to withdraw the army before he had heard the opinions of his corps commanders. To this he did not make any reply, and I am satisfied that such was the case. I have not seen Reynolds, or any of the others present on the occasion, since I had this conversation with him, but I intend to address each a letter and ask for their impressions of what I did say. Such things are very painful and embarrassing, but I have always feared the time would come when they would be inevitable with Hooker; for I knew no one would be permitted to stand in his way. I suppose he has heard some of the stories flying round camp in regard to my having the command, and these, in connection with what George Cadwalader told him Governor Curtin said, have induced him to believe that I am maneuvering to get him relieved, that I may step in his shoes. God knows the injustice he does me, and that I have never spoken a word to any one except Governor Curtin, and to him I never referred to Hooker's being relieved, but only criticised his recent operations, saying nothing more, or if as much, as I have written to you. I can tell him that if he had no stronger enemy than I am, he might rest much more secure than he can, knowing all that I do. I wish he could hear what some others say; he would look on me very differently. ********​

I love Meade, but doggone if that clever little satire over at the Cleveland Roundtable hasn't made me permanently incapable of reading Meade's letters to Margaret without chuckling. :wink:

Poor Meade -- forever misunderstood! His men loved him, though. He was a great guy.

Respectfully,

William

If I recall correctly Meade and Hooker were like oil and water. I expect Meade thought Hooker had ordered the arrest.

I love Meade, but doggone if that clever little satire over at the Cleveland Roundtable hasn't made me permanently incapable of reading Meade's letters to Margaret without chuckling. :wink:

Poor Meade -- forever misunderstood! His men loved him, though. He was a great guy.
Hadn't seen those before. You've changed my perception of Meade forever. :smile:

I was going to suppose that simply the way Hooker commanded the army and knowing Meade's mindset and charming personality to the press and those who he may have had respect issues with got him in some trouble. Then the May 19 letter goes ahead and proves it, even though General Meade wasn't itching for command/relive Hooker from command like Hooker believed. I'd bet that even thought Hooker brought some positive reorganization to the AotP, the Hooker months could have held some confusion for the officers and enlisted men of the AotP. I could be wrong. I'm not that smart.

Would someone find the correct story to this event? Sounds like a practical joke by his staff .A better one :if orders had been misplaced for THREE weeks to be found in a stake of telegraphs or at the bottom of a mail pouch.Who would have been in command of the AP at Gettysburg ,?McClellan for a third time or how long would it have taken Grant to git to Washington? But he and Sherman were busy at Vicksburg.

Last edited:

To Mrs. George G. Meade:​

Nice post @ErnieMac Meade had great Trepidation concerning taking command of the army. His constant feuding with Hooker would have given him concern for arrest. He knew the existing generals at the time were mostly political and would not support him. As it turns out, he was spot on.

View attachment 364181

Respectfully,

William
A few weeks earlier, he had a big blowup with Hooker. Alexander Webb of the Fifth Corps staff remarked that in a meeting with Hooker, Meade lost his temper and, "damned Hooker very freely". Meade wrote to his wife that, "he was in open war with Hooker."

Sears, Stephen W. Gettysburg. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2004.

Isn't it curious how John Reynolds turned the command down before Lincoln found Meade? You have to hand it to Reynolds, he knew what the job would come with; constant interference and micro management from Lincoln and Stanton. Too bad he had to die soon after. But you know who the best Yankee officer might have been? Winfield Scott Hancock.

Someone once wrote that the very fact that the idea of being arrested even crossed Meade's mind spoke volumes about the political intrigue that plagued the Army of the Potomac's senior officers.
Meade was put on trial before Congress because of Sickles, a politically made officer, and his twin brother Historicus. Sickles even made himself the hero in the process. For better or worse...or even worse...he knew people and knew how to schmooze. Meade did not schmooze.

Isn't it curious how John Reynolds turned the command down before Lincoln found Meade? You have to hand it to Reynolds, he knew what the job would come with; constant interference and micro management from Lincoln and Stanton. Too bad he had to die soon after. But you know who the best Yankee officer might have been? Winfield Scott Hancock.
Hancock was certainly a rising star. I sometimes wonder if the wound at Gettysburg took something out of him. Nevertheless, U.S. Grant, who knew Hancock primarily after Gettysburg, said this in his personal memoir: "Hancock stands the most conspicuous figure of all the general officers who did not exercise a separate command. He commanded a corps longer than any other one, and his name was never mentioned as having committed in battle a blunder for which he was responsible. He was a man of very conspicuous personal appearance. Tall, well-formed and, at the time of which I now write, young and fresh-looking, he presented an appearance that would attract the attention of an army as he passed. His genial disposition made him friends, and his personal courage and his presence with his command in the thickest of the fight won for him the confidence of the troops serving under him. No matter how hard the fight, the 2d corps always felt that their commander was looking after them."

View attachment 364181

Respectfully,

William

He had been agitating against Hooker, with whom he didn't get along. He was advocating removing Hooker from command, and he assumed that he was being arrested for doing so.

Words are important, William. Meade was not APPOINTED to command the army. He was ORDERED to take command. It was a peremptory order. He either obeyed it or he had to resign. Like any good soldier, he obeyed the lawful order of his superior.

Back