Cemetery McGavock Confederate Cemetery

Aaron

Private
Annual Winner
Following the Battle of Franklin, Nov. 30, 1864, John McGavock, owner of "The Carnton Plantation" collected and buried here the bodies of 1496 Confederates. The five general officers killed there were interred elsewhere after being brought to the house. Other Confederates were later buried here, including Brig. Gen. Johnston K. Duncan.
In the Carnton house (viewable from this cemetery, but not from this picture) there are still blood stained floors from its use as a make-shift hospital. One recount of the experience says that amputated limbs were piled up to the top of the dining room table which was used as a surgeon's table.

This picture was taken at dusk a year ago on the anniversary of this battle. I used a high-dynamic range method, along with a couple filters on my lens to capture the true feeling invoked by this location at that particular moment in time when I was standing there.

McGavock-Confederate-Cemetery.jpg

Attachments

• cemetery-winner2013.jpeg
    cemetery-winner2013.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 598
Here is your winner...AND NEW...CEMETERIES CATEGORY HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD...Aaron!!!

Congrats.

A great picture; but when I last took the Carnton House tour, they neither mentioned the generals on the porch nor anything about the cemetery.

Following the Battle of Franklin, Nov. 30, 1864, John McGavock, owner of "The Carnton Plantation" collected and buried here the bodies of 1496 Confederates. The five general officers killed there were interred elsewhere after being brought to the house. Other Confederates were later buried here, including Brig. Gen. Johnston K. Duncan.
In the Carnton house (viewable from this cemetery, but not from this picture) there are still blood stained floors from its use as a make-shift hospital. One recount of the experience says that amputated limbs were piled up to the top of the dining room table which was used as a surgeon's table.

This picture was taken at dusk a year ago on the anniversary of this battle. I used a high-dynamic range method, along with a couple filters on my lens to capture the true feeling invoked by this location at that particular moment in time when I was standing there.

View attachment 11375

Great Photo ! Thanks for posting ! Here's a link to a song about the cemetery and Carrie McGavock who kept a record of the men buried there. It's from a Civil War project by various bluegrass artists, " God Didn't Choose Sides. " Good historically accurate songs that Civil War enthusiasts can enjoy and appreciate, wither one is a bluegrass fan or not. http://www.goddidntchoosesides.com/carries-graveyard-book/

Back