Maynard Carbine

maynard_001-112x150.jpg

The official cavalry carbine of the Confederacy.

It had a rimmed cartridge and no extractor except for your fingers. Headspace was not a problem with black powder.

Is there any info on the lack of an extractor causing problems? seems like a swelled or split cartridge would render it useless until it was cleared. Bet Confederate cavalry had a lot of broken fingernails.

Is there any info on the lack of an extractor causing problems? seems like a swelled or split cartridge would render it useless until it was cleared. Bet Confederate cavalry had a lot of broken fingernails.
The extraction was not a problem as the rim of the cartridge was way over-sized and facilitated extraction.

I would not be surprised Black powder is some dirty stuff and the crud would build up quickly I imagine.
no doubt,but most of the jams were caused by manufactoring errors i belive,but dont hold me to that..Bobs the local gun expert here. :thumbsup:

no doubt,but most of the jams were caused by manufactoring errors i belive,but dont hold me to that..Bobs the local gun expert here. :thumbsup:

Thats interesting, incorrect tolerances on the chambers? or problems with the swivel mechanism?

Back