Mathew Brady's Three "Selfies" on the McPherson Farm

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
Mathew Brady recorded three iconic images on the McPherson farm in mid July, 1863, all three in which he appeared. The three camera locations were very close to each other, but looking in different directions. In the very busy photo below, I have attempted to show the three locations on a gsingle oogle view, that include the original Brady photos. The yellow "B" is to mark Brady's position in each photo. The dotted lines show the area within each image.
field2.jpg

Nice presentation! It's interesting to see how Brady set up at three locations, rather than do a panorama from one spot.

Some members of Stone's and Cutler's brigades provided some insights into the other McPherson buildings, apart from the barn. Early in the action the 147th New York's line was perpendicular to the Chambersburg Pike, with their left resting near the house. Private John Bartlett wrote: "We were halted at these buildings a few minutes, near a garden fence east of the house. The reason I particularly remember the buildings is because I went into the stone basement barn while halted." H. H. Lyman said, "I looked at my watch while we remained at the McPherson house garden and it was 15 minutes of 10. ... We remained behind the garden fence not to exceed 5 minutes when we were ordered by the flank to the right ..." Amos Allport agreed with Lyman, recalling that,"Our halt did not exceed ten minutes. I don't think it was more than five." Other veterans concurred with Allport and Lyman as to the brief time spent behind the house. Capt. J. V. Pierce clarified that the garden fence was a picket fence. Is it possible to expand photograph #2 to see some detail of the buildings?

Nice presentation! It's interesting to see how Brady set up at three locations, rather than do a panorama from one spot.

Some members of Stone's and Cutler's brigades provided some insights into the other McPherson buildings, apart from the barn. Early in the action the 147th New York's line was perpendicular to the Chambersburg Pike, with their left resting near the house. Private John Bartlett wrote: "We were halted at these buildings a few minutes, near a garden fence east of the house. The reason I particularly remember the buildings is because I went into the stone basement barn while halted." H. H. Lyman said, "I looked at my watch while we remained at the McPherson house garden and it was 15 minutes of 10. ... We remained behind the garden fence not to exceed 5 minutes when we were ordered by the flank to the right ..." Amos Allport agreed with Lyman, recalling that,"Our halt did not exceed ten minutes. I don't think it was more than five." Other veterans concurred with Allport and Lyman as to the brief time spent behind the house. Capt. J. V. Pierce clarified that the garden fence was a picket fence. Is it possible to expand photograph #2 to see some detail of the buildings?
Here is an expanded view, Tom. Could be the fence off to the right.
RailroadCut06131102_s.jpg

Back