Martially marked 1860 Spencer Carbine #55944

pennt

Cadet
Does anybody have access to records that would indicate around what month in 1864/65 this carbine was manufactured?

Thanks guys.

pennt

The SRS shows issue dates and 55914 55932 as being issued to the 6th Ill Cav in 03/65. the next # on the list is 56012 as the same date and unit.

The SRS shows issue dates and 55914 55932 as being issued to the 6th Ill Cav in 03/65. the next # on the list is 56012 as the same date and unit.
The SRS date just means it was reported with that unit on that date. Could mean issued, turned in, or just with that unit on that date.

The SRS date just means it was reported with that unit on that date. Could mean issued, turned in, or just with that unit on that date.

As I have said before the SRS is NOT the Bible, but in this case I have to go with the date being an issue date. I have a Spencer that is listed in the SRS as being issued to the 6th Ill and have done a ton of research on these carbines. I acquired this Spencer many years ago from a lady who's family farm was just outside of Tuscaloosa. She told me it had been in the family since a yankee left it behind while plundering their farm.
Per the OR Gen Hatch's Brigade of which the 6th Ill was part of, did NOT have Spencer's as of Feb 26th 1865. As soon as they were issued they were given up to Gen Croxton's brigade as Gen Wilson only wanted 1 type carbine the Spencer. Gen Croxton's command was the only Union troops to be in Tuscaloosa. The OR confirm the swapping around of these Spencer's.
DSCN6593.JPG
spencer-1cwt.png
spencer-2cwt.png
spencer-3cwt.png
spencer-4cwt.png
spencer-5cwt.png

Guys - Where can I find the Spencer manufacturing data? Is it available? I am curious as to when #55944 was ready for issue? 1864? Earlier. Appears from the SRS data that similar #'s close to #55944 were issued to 6th Ill. Cav, ......very late in the war. Just curious how long these guns sat at a depot before being issued? Thanks again guys. pennt

Back