1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Mark Twain on watermelon

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by CSA Today, Jun 5, 2013.

1. donna

donna Lt. Colonel Forum Host

Another favorite fruit, cherries.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. dvrmte

dvrmte Major

I've tried growing sweet cherries several times over the years but they just won't make it hear. They are attacked by several bacterial infections that cause them to lose their leaves during the summer. They can be sprayed with streptomycin but you have to stop spraying at least a month before harvest because of health risks. The only other alternative is liquid copper sprays but they cause as much harm to the leaves as the disease. So I give up on them altogether.

Watermelons can be difficult to grow nowadays. Their is a disease called black rot or gummy stem disease that has become difficult to control due to the fungus developing resistance to fungicdes. I have to rotate fungicides or tank mix two types to beat the resistance. You can't grow decent watermelons anymore without spraying them, unlike thirty years ago when all that was required was fertilizer and seed.

Lee, donna and diane like this.
  4. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

When I was a teener, the farmers would put in a quarter acre of watermelons so they could scare the **** out of everyone who naturally came out to steal them every Friday after the football game.

We knew where they were, and I suspect the farmers leaked the word as well.

It was a game we played. They planted the watermelons, told us where they were, and waited for us to come steal one.

Of course there were shotguns involved, but I never heard of anyone actually getting shot. Pump three or four shots into the air and watch the kids run. Sometimes, we actually stole one.

As I said, it was a game that the kids and grups played. Few grups did not play the game. It was how things were done.

They had their part in the game and we played as well. Nobody made a dime off watermelons. They were there for the challenge.

5. rhp6033

rhp6033 Sergeant Major

We have Washington Bing and Ranier cherry trees - generally sweeter cherries than most, perfect for eating all on their own! You can tell when the cherries are just getting ripe - flocks of blackbirds and crows sit on the telephone lines just watching, waiting for that perfect moment! I wouldn't mind so much if they took the whole cherry, but instead they try to poke a beak-hole in each one. My wife trained our dog to chase the birds, but now when she goes for a walk or a ride, she goes crazy trying to bark and chase after every bird she sees within a quarter-mile.

diane and donna like this.
  6. diane

diane Lt. Colonel Forum Host

I have a wonderful black fig tree, too, and it does a good job of bearing. I've sort of got a truce with the birds - they get the top of the tree where the ladder won't reach and I get the bottom! The blueberries, though, get covered. They sit in the trees and on the fences staring longing at them but can't get any... Gosh, aren't the figs and cherries enough? :laugh:

donna likes this.
  7. kholland

kholland 1st Lieutenant Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

Just getting ready to sit down for dinner and saw that photo. :frown: Summer's almost here.

8. ole

Dear One's uncle had a fig tree so I ate one. Got a half-hour out of town before I was desperately looking for a bathroom.

Bob Owen likes this.
  9. diane

:giggle: Didn't nobody warn you about figs? :rolleyes: By the way, I make fig cake cookies - like Fig Newtons - that are really great. Got to find that recipe... :smile:

10. JerseyBart

JerseyBart Captain Forum Host

I love watermelon!!!

11. JPK Huson 1863

JPK Huson 1863 Captain Forum Host

Trying to grow watermelons one year almost killed me. There was a running battle with a ground hog and me getting up at 4am to go sit in the garden to wait for the SOB with the .22, the fat bugger. I don't know how he KNEW. Every baby watermelon, as soon as it reached a certain stage, CHOMP- just one bite, that's all she wrote. I know my husband was thinking of having my commited, must have looked wonderful, boots and nightie and .22 rifle, swearing in the dawn, shooting at anything stupid enough to move. He won. I never built another watermelon mound, didn't eat one for years but I'll back up and re-run over a d*m groundhog to this day.

This thread does remind me of something I still have to do for Dad. Anyone remember a really old song/ditty? He just loved it, whistled or sang it around the garden endlessly. " Just plant a little watermelon on my grave and let the juice, slllll slip through ". Think he might expect it.

AUG351 and diane like this.
  12. diane

If you run that ground hog over right, we've got a recipe on here for fixing him up! (Several...) I had to go looking for that song and found it. It's not a very good video, but at least it does have the song on it!

13. FrazierC

FrazierC First Sergeant

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't like watermelon.

14. AUG351

AUG351 2nd Lieutenant

You'll sure find some nice watermelons grown here in Texas, got one sittin' in me refrigerator right now :hungry:

15. Lee

Lee 1st Lieutenant

Watermelon is a lot like barbeque to me the worst I ever had was great!

Bob Owen and TinCan like this.
  16. diane

An elderly friend likes them warm, not chilled. He grew up without refrigeration and thinks chilling a watermelon decreases its flavor! He also puts pepper on cantaloupe... :confused:

There's some other things to do with a watermelon - coolers, salads, even grilling it! (It's just that it's so good by itself...:D)

Lee likes this.
  17. Blessmag

Blessmag 1st Lieutenant

My birth place has this connection with watermelons:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lazy Bayou, donna and diane like this.
  18. diane

Now there's something about Lincoln I'll bet nobody but the people of Lincoln, Illinois knew! :D He must not have taken the name of the town too seriously - he once said "Nobody named Lincoln ever amounted to anything." Guess he made up for that!

donna likes this.
  19. Blessmag

Blessmag 1st Lieutenant

First verse:

donna likes this.
  20. donna

donna Lt. Colonel Forum Host

Blessmag,, great posts. Didn't know that about Lincoln.

21. ole

It's between here and Springfield. Other than that, I know nothing about it.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)