Lookalikes?

I aways thought Tom Selleck could have played Robert E. Lee, when they were of comparable age:

Robert E. Lee, age 54, probably taken early 1861 with picture modified to show "VA" on his cap:

lee-1861.jpg

Tom Selleck, age unknown:

Expired Image Removed

View attachment 3898View attachment 3899

His name is James Getty - does Lincoln impersonations - have seen him in person - fantastic. (Then again - we have Daniel Day Lewis in Spielberg's upcoming "Lincoln" ) :smile:

Getty is fantastic as Lincoln. I took a civil war themed river cruise in '98 from Chattanooga to Memphis on the Mississippi Queen. He came on the boat at one of the stops and talked as Lincoln for about an hour in a scheduled performance, in character, and answered questions afterwards. Before he took questions from the audience he advised us all that he would not talk about the war. :D ( this guy was no dummy)

He was very good, and got a standing ovation from everyone.

Henry

Now someone I have seen already many many years ago and thought about the resemblance. . . . . . I´m talking about the great Damien Thomas,

I disagree. His beard may give help disguise him but General Forrest has much higher cheeck bones. Wasn't he part Indian?

Steve

Yes, what was that movie? Darn it- the one which kind of precludes Clint Eastwood ever starring in a pro-Union role? Evil post-war Union troops inhumanly slaughter the Rebels who try to surrender to them with a dastardly trick? I'm thinking his sympathies might personally lie elsewhere. :smile: I love old Eastwood movies, that one I do not. Seems historically a little dicey.

Yes, what was that movie? Darn it- the one which kind of precludes Clint Eastwood ever starring in a pro-Union role? Evil post-war Union troops inhumanly slaughter the Rebels who try to surrender to them with a dastardly trick? I'm thinking his sympathies might personally lie elsewhere. :smile: I love old Eastwood movies, that one I do not. Seems historically a little dicey.
The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Far feched, but with a good make up job, how bout Clint Eastwood as Lincoln?

Expired Image Removed

Expired Image Removed

'There are 2 kinds of emancipators in the world my friend;.....those with loaded guns.....'click'....and those who dig,..you dig'....

Anecdote: True Story......

I had just started freelancing for CNN, when my supervisor, at the time, came into the room I was working in and asked me to go with her to the tape room. I thought she was going to have me start doing tape duties in the ingest room...

As we were walking down the hall she turns to me and says; "I want you to meet somebody, he's in the tape room and he's a fascinating fellow....he's about to publish a book on the Lincoln assassination. He is regarded as one of the leading experts on the Lincoln assassination, and subsequent trial".

Well, I was very intrigued....but, curious as to: 'Why me?'....and how did they know of my interest in that topic?.....

Her next comment answered both questions: 'I think you look like John Wilkes Booth'...(oh....great....gee, Thanks.....I think).....

So,...playing along, we went into the tape room and the person I was to meet was Michael Kauffman, author of 'American Brutus'.

He looked at me, with a raised eyebrow, and the first thing I did was to raise my hands and say 'Useless, Useless'.....

I'd have never thought of Clint Eastwood as Lincoln - but looks like he could do it! He's still got those striking blue eyes, too, like Abe had. Quite a student of the CW.

Eastwood also played a Confederate in The Beguiled, one of the eeriest westerns ever made! Also, Rowdy Yates had been a Confederate POW and many of Gil Favor's crew were former Confederate vets - which was very true of the old cattle drives. (They did a show where a nutty ex-Confederate general wanted to create a Confederate empire in the Southwest.)

Back