Look In The Mirror,do You See A Farb?

Are we not there to teach and educate the public. A great teacher with **** gear is just as useless as a crapy teacher with great gear.
I dont know about you but I am in this hobby to teach and educate--not play soldier
P.S. I am part of a mainstream unit but I use very authentic gear(some hand sewn garments and decent leathers) and I am one of the best uniformed people there, I feel that a a renactor should be judged on his own gear--not his buddy's.
So your telling me your unit has the time for every member to shake everyones hand? Here in the Army of Tennessee,we have alot of reenactors who love talking to the public,i am one of those. We also have guys who dont wish to talk. Thats fine,we have enough guys to talk if a few wanna stay in the back. I dont play soldier.. When i put on my uniform, i am no longer a mecahincal chemical engineer, I become a farmer who joined an artillery unit from his home town to fight for the CSA. My uniform is as authentic as possible, and so is my impression. My unit has participated with mainstream and campainers.. We are authentic and we have some of the best trained artilleryman in the state. Over the years, we have become a favorite of the Tennessee state parks. Were usually their first call. Thats saying alot. And 1 cardinal in a flock of crows is just as bad as a whole flock of crows.. If you know a unit is farbish, then why be a part of them? I saw you post the other day about joining a non-mainsteam unit. I think thats the rout to take.

So your telling me your unit has the time for every member to shake everyones hand? there is not one in my unit who does not enjoy dealing with the public, we are never over run with spectators and we try to educate to the fullest.
Here in the Army of Tennessee,we have alot of reenactors who love talking to the public,i am one of those.great
We also have guys who dont wish to talk. Thats fine,we have enough guys to talk if a few wanna stay in the back. I dont play soldier.. When i put on my uniform, i am no longer a mecahincal chemical engineer, I become a farmer who joined an artillery unit from his home town to fight for the CSA. My uniform is as authentic as possible, and so is my impression. My unit has participated with mainstream and campainers.. We are authentic and we have some of the best trained artilleryman in the state. Over the years, we have become a favorite of the Tennessee state parks. Were usually their first call. Thats saying alot. And 1 cardinal in a flock of crows is just as bad as a whole flock of crows.. If you know a unit is farbish, then why be a part of them?A. because they are a nice group of guys
B. they are in constant contact and easy to comunicate with.
C. because they are a grey gem in a sea of blue. It took a while to find them in the middle of yankee land.

the lack of email and communication when dealing with the CVG (a campaigner unit that I tried to join) made me appretiat my current unit.

Well i dont know about you area,but in my area its darn near impossible to talk to every attendant. Thousands show up for our events. Every one in my unit talks to the spectators. But there are members in other units who dont want to talk and thats fine. I dont see the need in ever reenactor having to talk to everyone. Usually my unit puts the officers up front to do the talking.

Everyone has made some good points!

Let me address one thing, then i need to jump on my soap box, and then I will get to my answer.

Ole, you asked about getting younger people into the hobby with the high standards or someone answer but no offence but I found that answer kind of well...wrong and slightly patronizing. I am a "younger" reenactor. Although I have been involved with this hobby all of my life, I still am a "normal" 19 year old American. As far as getting young people involved WE ARE OUT HERE!!!!!! Mu unit just had a young lad, 15 years old and his family join. He is a smart young man and it was HIS idea for the family to get involved. All it takes is a wanting to know more about history and SOMEONE TO BLOODY TEACH THEM!!!!!

**Soap Box Time**

As far as the a fore mentioned people who reenact but do not mess with the public they need to get off of whatever high horse or ego trip they are on!!!

When I read that it ****** me off because that is RUDE...EVEN IN MODERN ETIQUETTE! I have been on the side of the ignored spectator before and it pisses the spectators who have paid money to LEARN about history and to LEARN about the W.B.T.S (granted the guys who ****** me off were us park rangers in farby attire). To me reenacting is about honoring my ancestors and TEACHING the public about the struggles of the life of the everyday foot private!!!!!!! How can one teach if they do not interact with the public??!!

**Topic at hand**

Now on to the topic at hand about farbs.

What makes a farb or better yet what makes a good Reenactor? Is it the clothes, is it drill, or is it a mind set? I think it is all three. If you are a terribly dressed soldier but have the means to better the clothing, who is poorly drilled who is not giving there best, and is just using this hobby as a way to do some "themed camping" then to me you are a farb. If you are not going to attempt to portray the soldier from the WBTS I think you should reexamine the reasons why you do this hobby. I am certain there is something else you could waste your time and money on and stop giving us all bad names. If you are proficient in one aspect whether it be the clothes, drill, or the mindset, but have let the remaining things be put onto the back burner then to me you are a farb. Does it help that your uniform is 99.9% accurate? Yes in the long run it does but that can come in good time. I would never suggest to someone to jump out and buy everything that is stitch counter approved because when I started I could not. However as you progress so should your impression. That being said though a good uniform and stitch counter approved gear does not make you a good soldier. That requires dedication, discipline, and drill. Someone made the statement that it is up to the regiment to teach drill. Yes, it is the units job to teach you but it is your RESPONSIBILITY as an individual to commit the lessons taught to memory. It is your job to practice it and make sure you are doing it right. Not only for you but for others! I have been to events where a poorly trained "veteran" had is musket in the wrong place and when he fired it hurt a pard of mine. To me a good reenactor or a non farby reenactor is someone who is trying to better their impression in all aspects of the hobby be it clothes, drill, or the mind set.

I want to close with this. We as humans are not perfect and this is a hobby. When it's time for us to strike our tents (and for some just fold the ground cloths) we all return to our different lives. There are many philosophies I live by one of them is "you do what you do and I'll do what I'll do and we will get along fine." So as long as someone is trying to do it right and improve on their impression then why cant we all just do our own things. I think if we did that then the hobby would grow, the reenacting would would come together.

A. If I were you I would duck because someone is bound to unleash a volly or two
B. I agree with most of your points exept the first.
C. I am 15 and I feel that the hobby is dying.
D. this is for 3 reasons.

1. it is expensive---even the cheap stuff
2. Interest is dying due to other more modern hobbies(video games, paintball/airsoft). If a kid wanted to play war all he has to do is buy a $60 vid game or a $120 airsoft gun--no need for $500-$1000 kit. A kid will not usually be attracted to the history aspect as much as the war aspect(I am an exeption).
3. WE NEED TO DIE. NOT JUST IN THE LAST 10MIN. BUT CONSISTANTLY DURRING THE WHOLE REENACTMENT! WE LOOK LIKE A BUCH OF FOOLS, TWO INCHES AWAY FROM EACH OTHER FIRNG VOLLEYS AND NO ONE DIES!

rant over have a nice day:smile coffee:

Let me address one thing, then i need to jump on my soap box, and then I will get to my answer.

Ole, you asked about getting younger people into the hobby with the high standards or someone answer but no offence but I found that answer kind of well...wrong and slightly patronizing. I am a "younger" reenactor. Although I have been involved with this hobby all of my life, I still am a "normal" 19 year old American. As far as getting young people involved WE ARE OUT HERE!!!!!! Mu unit just had a young lad, 15 years old and his family join. He is a smart young man and it was HIS idea for the family to get involved. All it takes is a wanting to know more about history and SOMEONE TO BLOODY TEACH THEM!!!!!

**Soap Box Time**

As far as the a fore mentioned people who reenact but do not mess with the public they need to get off of whatever high horse or ego trip they are on!!!

When I read that it ****** me off because that is RUDE...EVEN IN MODERN ETIQUETTE! I have been on the side of the ignored spectator before and it pisses the spectators who have paid money to LEARN about history and to LEARN about the W.B.T.S (granted the guys who ****** me off were us park rangers in farby attire). To me reenacting is about honoring my ancestors and TEACHING the public about the struggles of the life of the everyday foot private!!!!!!! How can one teach if they do not interact with the public??!!

**Topic at hand**

What makes a farb or better yet what makes a good Reenactor? Is it the clothes, is it drill, or is it a mind set? I think it is all three. If you are a terribly dressed soldier but have the means to better the clothing, who is poorly drilled who is not giving there best, and is just using this hobby as a way to do some "themed camping" then to me you are a farb. If you are not going to attempt to portray the soldier from the WBTS I think you should reexamine the reasons why you do this hobby. I am certain there is something else you could waste your time and money on and stop giving us all bad names. If you are proficient in one aspect whether it be the clothes, drill, or the mindset, but have let the remaining things be put onto the back burner then to me you are a farb. Does it help that your uniform is 99.9% accurate? Yes in the long run it does but that can come in good time. I would never suggest to someone to jump out and buy everything that is stitch counter approved because when I started I could not. However as you progress so should your impression. That being said though a good uniform and stitch counter approved gear does not make you a good soldier. That requires dedication, discipline, and drill. Someone made the statement that it is up to the regiment to teach drill. Yes, it is the units job to teach you but it is your RESPONSIBILITY as an individual to commit the lessons taught to memory. It is your job to practice it and make sure you are doing it right. Not only for you but for others! I have been to events where a poorly trained "veteran" had is musket in the wrong place and when he fired it hurt a pard of mine. To me a good reenactor or a non farby reenactor is someone who is trying to better their impression in all aspects of the hobby be it clothes, drill, or the mind set.

I want to close with this. We as humans are not perfect and this is a hobby. When it's time for us to strike our tents (and for some just fold the ground cloths) we all return to our different lives. There are many philosophies I live by one of them is "you do what you do and I'll do what I'll do and we will get along fine." So as long as someone is trying to do it right and improve on their impression then why cant we all just do our own things. I think if we did that then the hobby would grow, the reenacting would would come together.

**Soap Box Time**

**Topic at hand**

Sir, if you were aiming that at me, youve gottem my attention. I did not mean that some reenactors turn their noses up to the audeance. Some reenactors are artillery pice owners, wagon ownerrs and sutch, and are more focused on keepin an eye on their property and letting others have the spot light. Im sorry,but ive never been to a reenactment and saw every reenactor preach to the croud. Anywho, i disagree with you, i dont see reenacting as a growing hobbie at all. I see it as a dieing art. Like GAvol said,why play dress up when you can go play xbox? And i see your a new member, alow me to give you a warm welcome to the reenactors forum. GAVolounteer and I are the host's here. Were glad to have you,but watch your language. The last thing you want is a bunch of moderators after you with their axs in hand..

I agree man. I think its a dieing art as well, like you said,everythings so expensive,even the cheep stuff. Most teens would rather spend ther money on vidio games than 1860's millitary reproductions. My hats off to you GAvol. 15 years old and a pretty knowledgeable re-enactor. Keep up the good work!

This is image is proof that farbs existed during the CW :bounce:
Corbis-IH157921.jpg

My experience is not that reenactors dont talk to the visitors, it's getting them to shut up. And I do mean me.

I am not a new member i am an old member just with a new account. I became inactive on the last account and forgot the password, the email i used for it was hacked and so i could not rest the password but i thank you anyway. I don't know if you knew the Dixie Dude or not. Any way yes I was aiming somewhat at you. Now as far as "preaching to the crowd" goes I took your original statement to mean that if someone from the public came up to them they would not say anything to them. I sorry for taking that out of context. I understand what you are saying about gun owners seeing to their pieces, my dad was an artileriest for most of my childhood and even to this day I have been known to fight as a number 3 man on a cannon crew. However yall gun owners are not the only ones with stuff to look after. I once came back to camp after battle to find the contents of my cs haversack tossed on the ground. Come to find out nothing was missing except my spare pocket knife. Also while I am taking this opritunity to say i am sorry i would like to apologies about my choice of language. I "had my dander up". Now onto the hobby dying. In central Mississippi reenacting is growing. We have three members who are 14, a fifteen year old, a sixteen year old, I am 19 and one of my best friends is 20 (he and i are BOTH in college). We had 28 guns in our ranks at the Battle of Shiloh compared to our normal 12 or 13.

As per people dying. I cant say for others but i carry two tins in my cartridge box and only the tops are loaded (unless we go on a tactical) and I try shoot one top one day and one top the next. I usually on sunday when i come home i have only shot half of my rounds. I do it because someone needs to die and as a college student i dont have time to make that many rounds. During the summer and at Christmas I make rounds that is about it those two makings will last me through both campaigns season, and Confederate Heritage month (i do a lot of memorial services).

Being new to reenacting- less than two years, I would have to respectfully disagree here. Clearly there is a substantial learning curve involved. Hell I'm in the middle of it, but I feel there is a middle ground here between the fresh fish picking up the nuances of the hobby and the veteran reenactors with tons of experience. The key here is the fish need to WANT to improve. Its much like the veteran NCOs in the real Army bringing along the recruits. Those recruits are the hobby's future. Bringing them along creates bigger, well drilled, veteran units and events. Expecting too much too soon is sure to end this hobby. Then the 7 year olds won't have anyone to get them interested.

I don't want to raise a fuss here. I have enormous respect for the knowledge the seasoned reenactors have and try to learn from you as I did from my NCO's many years ago. I just think there is another perspective as well.

This is image is proof that farbs existed during the CW :bounce:
View attachment 5996
My experience is not that reenactors dont talk to the visitors, it's getting them to shut up. And I do mean me.
Holy cow... now that is one freaking ugly shirt. Not sure I could take the guy serious while he's barking out orders, had to be one secure man. "Yes sir captain ugly shirt sir"

I am not a new member i am an old member just with a new account. I became inactive on the last account and forgot the password, the email i used for it was hacked and so i could not rest the password but i thank you anyway. I don't know if you knew the Dixie Dude or not. Any way yes I was aiming somewhat at you. Now as far as "preaching to the crowd" goes I took your original statement to mean that if someone from the public came up to them they would not say anything to them. I sorry for taking that out of context. I understand what you are saying about gun owners seeing to their pieces, my dad was an artileriest for most of my childhood and even to this day I have been known to fight as a number 3 man on a cannon crew. However yall gun owners are not the only ones with stuff to look after. I once came back to camp after battle to find the contents of my cs haversack tossed on the ground. Come to find out nothing was missing except my spare pocket knife. Also while I am taking this opritunity to say i am sorry i would like to apologies about my choice of language. I "had my dander up". Now onto the hobby dying. In central Mississippi reenacting is growing. We have three members who are 14, a fifteen year old, a sixteen year old, I am 19 and one of my best friends is 20 (he and i are BOTH in college). We had 28 guns in our ranks at the Battle of Shiloh compared to our normal 12 or 13.
I too go by a different handel here. You remember JPFlynn? Thats me.. you wouldnt happen to be from that Mississippi unit that came to Fort Pillow a few months back would you?

Back