Longstreet's Headquarters

That's a pretty interesting read. I expect the conclusion will have a number of local people in an uproar, for a variety of reasons.

Some Longstreet sightings on the field (from preliminary and incomplete research; times are approximate):

July 1, after 2 p.m. Longstreet rode past Lang’s Florida brigade. [Col. Arthur Fremantle’s diary, The Grayjackets]

July 1, late afternoon ... passed Gen. Lee’s headquarters, where I saw Generals Lee, A. P. Hill, Longstreet and others watching the fight with their glasses. [George H. Mills, 13th North Carolina, Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions from North Carolina …]

July 2, about 3:15 p.m. After we were marched up to Seminary Ridge, Company C was ordered out as skirmishers and lay down. While lying there General Longstreet rode up and told the Captain (Cherry) to send two men without guns or cartridge boxes to a house with paled fences around the yard and knock off the palings so he could make the attack. The Captain called out, “Jim Duke and Woods Mears, they will go.” There were three lines of infantry within 50 steps and 200 yards further there were six pieces of artillery. We knocked off the palings and were not bothered. When we returned, Gen. Longstreet was still standing there. He said to me, “Buddy, what did you see there?” I told in a few words. I said, “General, do you think we can take those heights.” He replied, “I don’t know, do you?” He then said, “This is not my fight.” [J. W. Duke, 17th Mississippi, Confederate Veteran, volume 14, p. 216]

July 2, prior to 4 p.m. As we were forming, Gens. Longstreet, Hood and Pickett were all sitting on their horses just in front of us. [War Reminiscences, Corporal John W. Stevens, 5th Texas]

July 2, about 4 p.m. after cannonade opened on right, “I saw General Longstreet and staff dismounted behind the stone fence watching the effects of our shots through their field glasses.” [John Coxe, 2nd South Carolina, Confederate Veteran, vol. 21, p. 434]

July 2, about 6:15 p.m. I rode to McLaws, found him ready, and Barksdale chafing in his wait. After additional caution, McLaws ordered him in. [Longstreet’s writings, in J. S. McNeily’s Barksdale’s Mississippi Brigade at Gettysburg, p. 242]

July 2, about 6:15 p.m. We were lying behind Moody’s battery, just under a little hill, when Gen. Longstreet and McLaws rode up and gave our brigadier his instructions, that when Hood’s division had driven him until his line was at an angle of 45 degrees then we were to advance. [William M. Abernathy, 17th Mississippi]

July 2, about 6:30 to 6:45 p.m. Barksdale’s Brigade made its advance, and was soon followed by Wofford’s, which Longstreet also accompanied in person. [Military Memoirs of a Confederate, by Gen. E. P. Alexander, p. 399] /// Today Longstreet led a Georgia regiment in a charge against a battery, hat in hand, and in front of everybody. [Sir Arthur Fremantle]

July 3, morning My company [C of the 18th Mississippi] with others, was occupying the extreme front picket line in direct range of the sharpshooters. We were on the edge of an apple orchard. Adj. Harmon of the 13th Mississippi and I were hugging a pile of rubbish, any thing to hide behind, that we had thrown together, when Gens. Lee and Longstreet – on foot, no aides, orderlies, or couriers, 15 or 20 steps apart, field glasses in hand – came walking past us, stopping now and then to make observations. [W. Gart Johnson, Confederate Veteran, vol. 1, p. 246]

July 3, after 11 a.m. Gens. Lee, Longstreet, Hill and a number of general officers met in a shady bottom near a little branch. [Capt. Little, 52nd North Carolina, quoted by Andrew B. Cross. The War. Battle of Gettysburg and the Christian Commission, 1865, p. 27]

July 3, early afternoon Longstreet rode between the batteries and Armistead’s brigade several times. [Col. William W. Wood, 14th Virginia, The New Annals of the Civil War]

July 3, about 7 p.m. While on the Emmitsburg Road near the Peach Orchard, we met Gen. Longstreet, who told us to reoccupy our original ground (east of the road) and he would send infantry to our aid. We put our guns in position and opened upon the enemy. [Capt. William W. Parker’s Official Report] /// William McKendree Evans of the battery said that Longstreet sent Major Fairfax to find out why they were firing. /// Sam Duffey of the battery said Longstreet and Lee came to the battery, and Longstreet ordered me to elevate the piece and fire down the road. General Longstreet, then 80, responded, “I remember the incident referred to on this paper.” /// Edward Samuel Duffey’s diary: night we left the Peach Orchard, my own gun was the last to leave and reached the road bank of the Peach Orchard we met Generals Lee and Longstreet on their horses, they were unattended. Gen. Longstreet came to me and asked, “Sergeant, have you any ammunition?” I replied a little canister. He said go and fire down that road to the right of the orchard and commenced firing down the road at the sharpshooters who were advancing up the road. We fired the last shot. /// Royall W. Figg, “Where Men Only Dare to Go,” p. 149: Lt. Brown had fired all except three rounds of canister. Just then Gen. Longstreet road up and angrily inquired of Lt. Brown: “Why are these guns here, sir? I thought I had ordered all the artillery from the field?” “We are here by Captain Parker’s orders, General” replied Brown. “Where is Captain Parker?” “I think he will be here in a moment, sir.” In a little while Captain Parker returned. “Why have you retained these guns here, Captain?” demanded Longstreet. “I have received no authentic orders to leave, General. Besides, the position seemed to me to be important, and I thought I would hold it as long as possible.” Longstreet seemed now to be of the same opinion, for he told Parker if he could hold the position for a short while longer he would send him an infantry support. In conversation afterwards with Col. Fremantle, General Longstreet said he thought “the enemy would have attacked had the guns been withdrawn.” With the infantry support that soon came, we held back the Federal skirmishers, who were creeping up under cover of trees. These two Richmond guns kept back their infantry until nearly dark, when we quietly withdrew.

Back